Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed starting mixes

Posted by pumpkineater2 Phoenix, Arizona (Jsnsnw15@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 0:17

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good mixes that work well for starting seeds in. What different combinations of ingredients have worked well for you?

I need Something that I can use for general seed starting. I've got a lot of random seeds sitting around the house that I need to plant. Thanks :)

Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed starting mixes

You don't need anything special for seed germination. Most of the typical packaged potting mixes are perfectly suited for that task, being rather fine textured. That quality makes them pretty awful as a potting mix but great for seed starting. Don't buy into the marketing ploy that dictates the need for something special.

Bottom heat is more important in the germination process than a special medium. Then, moisture management, light, air temperature, and other environmental factors become important.

o

I like a layer of finely milled sphagnum moss on top of whichever soil mix I have. It helps keep the seeds from drying out. I'm usually sowing very fine seed for which this works especially well. But I've been planting garden seeds lately using the same method. They have been coming up very quickly, too.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:02

Me too. I use a very well-aerated soil with the seeds scattered on top. Then I cover the seeds with a light covering of fine peat, Turface fines, or a mixture of both, and keep the top moist via misting and partially tenting until seeds germinate, at which time I eliminate bottom heat if I'm using it. Seedlings appreciate a well-aerated medium as much as a mature plant. If the seeds are very fine, I usually mix them with some Turface fines (sand works well) and sprinkle the mixture over the coarse medium before covering.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here