Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus oertendahlii) Looking Unhealthy

Posted by dezzo 6a-6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 1:37

Hi everyone,

My Plectranthus oertendahlii doesn't seem to be doing too well. I think it's called Swedish Ivy "Emerald Lace".

I've had it for about a month and a half at this point.
When I brought it home it was bushy, but a little limp. I watered it and it perked right up.

Unfortunately, it's always wilted now and isn't as bushy, despite the fact that I don't recall collecting any significant number of dead leaves.

I was going to water it again, but the moisture meter said the soil near the bottom of the pot is still wet.

The pot has good drainage. I believe the pot is the proper diameter for this plant, but I'm now thinking it may be a little too deep.

Could it be root rot?
How I could I tell if this was the case?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus oertendahlii) Looking Unhealthy

Here's a picture of how it looked shortly after I brought it home a month and a half ago.

o

And here's how it looks now. :(

o

dezzo,
I apologize ahead of time, as I am commenting on a plant I know nothing about (first time seeing one!). Is it possible this is one of those houseplants that require frequent "pinching" (pruning) to maintain bushiness? I believe with Fittonia (not related, but the growth habit looks similar to me), they require frequent "pinching" to keep their bushy look. Otherwise, they can get kinda gangly looking.

Planto

o

Dezzo...I have 2 or 3 Plectranthus varieties. One Plectranthus is similar to yours..it may or may not be the same type but leaves sure look alike.

Out of all my Plects, the one that resembles yours is the fussiest. Last fall it bloomed..soon after foliage never looked the same.

Plectranthus dislike too much heat.

I doubt your plant has root rot...although it's a little spindly, 'which is normal indoors, in winter,' it's too healthy looking for root rot. Does soil have a sour odor?

Perhaps you should pot in clay come spring?? Soil dries much faster..

My guys are kept in an upstairs bedroom, south window, but this winter has been very gray..we had three days of sun this week, but as I type the sky is cloudy.

Do you place plants outside in summer? Plects love the outdoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here