Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanut

Dracaena marginata volunteer?

JonathanUT
10 years ago

I recently transplanted two small Dracaena marginata stalks from poor soil to Al's Gritty Mix. The roots of both plants were extremely damaged. Their once large root system was relatively dead and dry. I have been nursing them back to health, and I found this tonight. If this was soil, I would assume it was some sort of weed. I have never seen any Dracaenas at this early stage of life, could it be a volunteer? With the extensive damage to the roots, I wouldn't assume they could have gotten a new plant to the surface this fast. It couldn't be much older than about a week.

Comments (18)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It could be grass (I don't think so,) or new foliage coming from the Drac roots (what I'd vote for.) Wish I'd taken a pic when one of mine did that years ago. I don't remember what the first leaf looked like. Can you excavate the chunks on top/around this thing to find out what's going on under there? Do you have a pic of the whole thing, like how close this is to the main trunk?

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll get more pics tonight when I get home from work.

There are two now. Going from memory, they are only about an inch or so, but not two, away from the main stalks. Excavating around the pictured plant to about 1" didn't show anything different than what we can see in the picture.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Do you have any spider plants, they drop seeds and grow in my other houseplants all the time, your seedling looks similar to a spider plant seedling. I doubt it is a dracaena shoot, I see a vet young root a the base it is a seedling of something

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't.

It usually stays pretty close to my Dracaena deremensis. While it has been stressed, I have been keeping it in a room that is just a little brighter, where it is still with the deremensis and is near a Aloe ciliaris. There is a overwintering Geranium nearby at the moment, but it is fairly dormant and the nearest part of the plant is roughly two feet away.

The room they are all in doesn't see a lot of foot traffic, and there are no animals in the house to brush up against anything.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy,

Jonathan...at first glance growth resembles a blade of grass.

Was your Dracaena summered outdoors? Before and after purchased.

It's a little early to tell. What's its texture? Smooth or semi-stiff?

Toni

10 years ago

It does look like a spider plant baby, TG. Interesting idea.

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only time it has been outside was to go from the store to the house, in October. I found it on the clearance rack in the store, and Utah had a cold snap back then that would have wiped it out had it been on the outdoor rack.

It feels like a smooth blade of grass, just smoother and softer. It does seem to be more rigid than grass of this size though.

With the gritty mix, it does get the mix submerged to get watered. There are a few plants that share this water when the time comes: the Lemon Lime, a young Christmas Cactus and two young Echeveria. None of these plants are showing anything similar.

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking of where I may have picked up a seed. When I made this batch of Gritty Mix, the store was out of the normal crushed granite, but they did have fine gravel which fit the size requirement. The chance of picking up one seed is there, but there are two.

Here are the pics. I excavated around the taller one as much as I dared and still didn't see any source.

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the second seedling.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Now i think it is a grass, spider plants seedling tends to grow sqat at first, thats too tall

10 years ago

You never know what the wind will blow around. Keep us posted I hope!

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will. I'll am also beginning to believe that I have picked up some grass somewhere.

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two weeks later...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I'm still thinking grass..The plant is growing too fast to be a Spider.
    Grass spread like wildfire.

Several succulents sit on a tall table, outside. Yet, by autumn, grass sprouts in the pot, alongside and often, in-between succulents.

I know birds drop grass seed. Toni

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I completely agree that it is grass of some sort. When I plucked it out of the gritty mix, it had sprouted from a fairly large seed. I'm keeping it away from the other plants, just in case it's invasive. I don't need to weed my indoor plants, keeping up with the Bermuda Grass in the pepper garden is enough.

I should consider myself lucky. I can't remember the last time I had to pluck stray weeds out of the outdoor potted plants.

For now, it will receive the same care the other plants get, mainly because I am curious to see what it finally turns into. At least there is no cat in the house to eat it before it grows to its full potential.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jonathan. I wouldn't toss yet, either.

You never know..most seedlings look like weeds/grass, but after second/true leaves grow, foliage shape changes.

The reason I said grass is, as explained above..grass finds its way in so many plants..one seed will do it.

No, nobody needs a grass field indoors. lol.

No cat, bird or puppy??

10 years ago

I'm guessing it's something like Johnson grass at this point, some type of larger grass. If it wasn't attached to the roots of the Dracaena, it's not a shoot from that.

Your weedy grass in the pepper patch would be unlikely to be Bermuda grass in Z5.

• JonathanUT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what my parents always called it while I was young, people seem to know it by that name, and I have never learned a different name for it. Its a pain, sends its runners everywhere (sometimes underground), it almost impossible to kill, and loves the care the pepper garden gets. it has even managed to grow into the old wood that is creating the walls for the garden.

At least the surprise grass that is in this thread looks like it would be easy to remove if I needed to. Its over 8" tall now, and has two slender leaves, with more forming near the top.