Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerpottipper

New plants and care info needed for one

flowerpottipper
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

The other day I bought a Medinilla scortechinii, such a beautiful and unusual plant...but I can find hardly any info on how to care for one. I'm going to care for it as a Medinilla magnifica til I find out differently. I've raised the humidity as much as I can around it with a humidifier and by placing it on rocks with water and surrounding it with other tropical plants...and I dont plan on watering it til the soil is dry an inch down...but I'm scared to lose this plant...I'm afraid I'll never find another plant like it...plus it was $20, I don't want to throw $20 down the drain....so any help on this would be wonderful!!!

here's some pics of it-

{{gwi:68107}}

{{gwi:68108}}

Also here is new plant that my mom bought for me that I thought I would share,
Cryptocereus anthonyanus 'ZigZag Cactus'-

{{gwi:68109}}

Thank you
-FPT

Comments (9)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Hopefully you'll bet some good advice ,One of the MOST difficult plants I've encountered though I've had a couple struggle along for a few years I grew mine in a heated shadehouse . Sounds like you're doing the right things .Good luck with it the whole family is fantastic!! gary

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I know nothing of value to tell you but those plants are pretty!!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I found a little info. Very nice plants!
    One link below, and here's another.

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: General care

• flowerpottipper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies...but some of the flowers are now dying off...it really frusrates me. There must be a secret to keeping this plant happy...

-FPT

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

FPT.

You're right. Finding Medinilla info is difficult.

I bought Medinilla srotechinii at Hirts 1/18/12.
    It bloomed from Feb/2012 until August.
    Your blooms shouldn't drop; flowers are long-lasting.

The room is fairly cold and dry during winter months. I allow soil to dry completely, 'unlike other tropicals,' before re-watering. Soil is well-draining, 'dries 2-3 days.'

My mistake was repotting in mediums that dry faster...since then, it's not doing well, and no blooms.
    If it doesn't show improvement, it's going back in a heavier soil.
    Since room is w/o a humidifer, 'dry' leaves are misted daily, and little cups filled w/water are near Medinilla.

Did you repot or change/add fertilizer?

What a good-looking Zig-Zag!!! Toni

• flowerpottipper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefulauthor-

Thank you for answering! I have not changed the soil or fertilized it yet. I don't fertilize any of my plants this time of year except for the orchids. I'm thinking the flowers that did fall off might of done it cause of the stress caused from moving from a green house to my home, atleast I hope that was it...their's still quite a few blooms left on it with new ones coming up. Right now I just have it on rocks with water and spraying it several time daily...I turned off the humidifier cause I don't thinking it's working right, I may have to buy a new one.

I'm hoping this plant is not as finicky as the pink medinilla, I hear those hate everything except tropical type green houses.

The nursery near me just got these Medinilla plants in right before I went there and when I saw them, I quickly grabbed the most healthiest one they had and there was no way they where gonna pry it away from me LOL...I don't do that too often (excpet later that same day when I saw the ricrac plant LOL).

So I will watch the watering, let it dry quite a bit before watering again (maybe use some superthrive? fertilizer?) I think it is in some heavy soil, but I didn't want to risk changing it til the blooms are gone and in spring/summer when it's had time to rest and recharge it's energy.

Do you keep yours inside in the warmer months? I don't think I have a good shaded spot for it outside, so I hope it'll survive indoors year round.

Sorry for so many questions...Since their's hardly anything online about these plants (and absoutly nothing in books), you are my only source of information. And keeping the plant alive for a year is pretty good, so whatever your doing, it must like it.

Thank you again!!

-FPT

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

looks like a plastic plant , lol

• flowerpottipper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

greenlarry-

LOL, I would never spend $20 on a plastic plant!! Actually I wouldn't spend anything on any fake plant...

• plantcrazed101
    7 years ago

Those of you who have grown this plant, have you noticed a fragrance on this orange Medinilla?