Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggwhiteshenanigans

Yucca tree struggling

eggwhite
10 years ago

My new yucca tree has been worsening in condition ever since I brought it back from the shop, with the lower leaves turning brown at a worrying rate. Any ideas? I water it infrequently, as per advice I've read elsewhere online - about every 10 days or so. I've not tried giving it any kind of food yet. I would love to see this reach its full potential. Any advice greatly appreciated, as ever.

Matt

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Is 'every 10 days' how long it's taking to dry out? How are you watering when you do?

• eggwhite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi purpleinopp! Thanks for replying. It doesn't seem to have dried out completely after 10 days - but from what I've read online it sounds like my plant is underwatered, if anything (http://bit.ly/LGuq7Y). And when I water I pour directly onto the soil. Do you think I should try leaving it longer without a watering? It doesn't get a great amount of light by that window, so I think it probably needs more, but there aren't really any places in my house where it would get any more...

• beth-noobfrommd
    10 years ago

I'm no expert but I'd guess it's an over-watering issue. Since it's winter, plants need much less water.

It looks rather large, but try taking it out of the pot and inspecting the roots. If any are mushy you know you are over-watering.

What kind of potting medium is it in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Signs of over-watering yucca

• eggwhite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi beth, thanks for the post. Yeah I'm starting to think it's definitely been over-watered. It's very heavy so not easy to get out of the pot - I'll give it a go soon though.

I'm afraid I have no idea what the potting medium is (definitely not an expert!)...it's just what it came potted in, so I assume that's the right stuff.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I always think plants are thirsty too, often or even usually, they are not yet. That's why I asked if it's taking that long to dry out.

Beth had the same thought that I did, more water is being added while there's still plenty in the soil. When days are shorter, temps are cooler, plants use much less water. Often a saucer under the pot pools with water, not something your plant would appreciate, and could make it ill. Outside, Yuccas grow in full sun all day, often in parched, dry conditions. Bringing them inside a house will lower their need for water even more.

The best possible stuff for your plant is not necessarily what was in the pot from the store. But assuming it happens to be, even if you have not had this plant for a long time, the roots may have no more room to grow, already filling the bottom of the pot - potbound, rootbound. It's very common for plants in stores to be in this condition. Whether the soil was 'good' or 'bad,' eventually it needs to be replaced.

The stuff they sell in a bag as 'potting soil' is actually not ideal stuff for plants in pots, though certainly possible to grow an acceptable plant with it. There is a much higher risk of roots being able to rot in this kind of stuff because it is made of tiny particles with no air between them. When roots are constantly wet/moist but no oxygen is present, they can't function, and can rot. When this type of soil does truly dry out, it can become hydrophobic, like a dry sponge that does not readily accept/absorb moisture again. There are many options that different people use to have a more chunky, porous, airy soil, if you're interested in trying something else.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Feel the soil, let it dry out completely between waterings. It won't suffer from being too dry.

A bit of low leaf loss is pretty normal with newly brought home houseplants.

Don't obsess about growing mediums, yuccas will grow in anything.

But make sure it gets as much light as possible.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Yucca are in extreme-slow/no-growth mode now - you're watering when you shouldn't. Even indoors, these plants shouldn't be watered more than 2x a month, if that. Your current watering schedule is suitable for when it's in growth. BTW, it grows best outside, acclimated to full sun, so if you can do that the plant will be happiest.