Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant identification

Posted by jostus 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 8:54

I can't seem to remember the name of this plant. It's related to a cycad I believe. Can someone please help me out? Thanks for looking!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant identification

Hi
Awesome plant! Im thinking its a birdnest anthurium. Specifically anthurium plowmanii grande. I got one a while back and love it. Very indoor hardy so far!

Kyle

o

Definitely a Birdsnest Anthurium, but I think Anthurium hookeri "Ruffles". I have an A. plowmanii but it looks a bit different (although still a Birdsnest Anthurium).

o

Nice aerial roots! =)

o

What a great plant, love the frilly leaf edges!

o

Boy was I off! Thank you all! :) so It's an anthurium for sure. Which one I have , I have no clue because the leaves In all the online pictures look much lighter in color and appear much more pliable then mine. The leaves on my anthurium are very stiff, and leathery with more prominent veining, more ruffled margins and way darker In color! If it wasn't for these variables I would say it looks most like what I see in photos of Anthurium Plowmanii grande. Might the differences simply be due to the growing environment? My plant lives under year round low humidity from central heating and airconditioning ( I mist just the arial roots daily). It also receives direct sunlight for many hours. It puts out a flush of new growth in the spring and then just sits back like a pre-Madonna sunbathing the rest of the year :D

o

Boy was I off! Thank you all! :) so It's an anthurium for sure. Which one I have , I have no clue because the leaves In all the online pictures look much lighter in color and appear much more pliable then mine. The leaves on my anthurium are very stiff, and leathery with more prominent veining, more ruffled margins and way darker In color! If it wasn't for these variables I would say it looks most like what I see in photos of Anthurium Plowmanii grande. Might the differences simply be due to the growing environment? My plant lives under year round low humidity from central heating and airconditioning ( I mist just the arial roots daily). It also receives direct sunlight for many hours. It puts out a flush of new growth in the spring and then just sits back like a pre-Madonna sunbathing the rest of the year :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here