Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
January blooms

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 8:55

Mine are same plants that were blooming last month, still going...

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana and wax Begonias.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: January blooms

Wax Begonia with double flowers.

o

Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans.)

o

More wax Begonias that live with a Philodendron. I wouldn't think this pot is in enough light for them, but here are some blooms.

o

Some kind of Rhipsalis, I think.

o

Purple,
Your last picture is Rhipsalis salicornioides, AKA 'Drunkard's Dream." I think it's one of a few (or the only one) Rhipsalis I've seen that have yellow flowers.

Planto

o

Those are impressive blooms on the Chamaedora elegans ,mines used to flower before my little sisters literally destroyed it leaf by leaf

o

My bloomers are all repeats, as well, Tiffany.
Two of my Euphorbias are blooming, but their cyathia are of little consequence. My Meyer Lemon is on the verge of opening its blooms. And my Christmas Cactus is opening new blooms daily, even as the spent blooms fall away.

Josh

o

Happy New Year!!!

All of the beautiful blooming plants looks wonderful!

I have a few to share later on.. Sitting with Grandson, I'll post when I get home and take some pics!

Love them all! Tiffany and Josh, just gorgeous !

Thank you for sharing...

Laura

o

Only a couple of blooms on a mini Anthurium and a Saintpaulia here but I still have these hanging on outdoors.

o

Hey, Laura, happy New Year to thee, as well!

Josh

o

TY, Planto! Apparently it should be called Hatiora now?

TG, TY & sorry to hear!

Josh & Flora - awesome!!

Laura, that sounds great!

- Tiffany

o

Tiffany,
I've seen them called both Rhipsalis and Hatiora... not sure which one is the "correct" Genus name though. I know EA labels theirs as Rhipsalis, but we know how funky EA can be with their nomenclature haha.

Planto

o

photo DSCF6144_zps39fcf2bb.jpg

photo DSCF6160_zps4dad1922.jpg

photo DSCF6136_zps10e23483.jpg

photo DSCF6137_zpsc90a4dba.jpg

photo DSCF6132_zps2aaca003.jpg

photo DSCF6122_zpscc001e32.jpg

photo DSCF6127_zps46441604.jpg

Happy New Year friends.

Mike

o

Happy New Year to you Mike!!! ;-)

Here are a few of my Plumeria blooming right now under lights ( T-5)

Hope you all are staying warm with this massive snow storm in the North East. Brrrrr...

The name of this Plumeria is called " Sparky".

Take care,

Laura

o

Hey, Mike, good to see ya! And great blooms, too! Look at all those Orchids.

Here's a shot of my Euphorbia millii that was a stow-away in one of the Jades you sent me, Mike. This one blooms most of the year.

Josh

o

Fuzzy' s Red Rose

Laura

o

One more....

Night !!!

Laura

o

Green man or Josh what do you mean the E. Millie was a stowaway? Would you mind telling the story?
Grantgarden

o

Thanks, Grant, I'd love to tell the story! :-)

Mike sent me several Jades that he rescued from a nursery that was going out of business. In the root-ball of one of those Jades, right at the edge of the container, there was this tiny stem that had obviously grown from a seed (judging by the small size and the single, undamaged central root). It was leafless and wrinkled from dehydration, and I had no idea what it was. Truth be told, I nearly tossed it. But then I thought, Heck, why not pot it and grow it? So I did.

A week or two after potting it in lava rock, perlite, and a fraction of bark, the stem plumped back up and began to grow leaves at the top. This is what it looked like a month after potting. 2-inch container for reference.

Josh

o

These are awesome! For those who remember me putting Sans in the ground for summer, here's what I kept after sending most of the extras to new homes. Just dug them up and sat them in this pot. Had to bring the pot inside last night, too cold even in the shed. This morning, I noticed this!

o

Pretty, Prettty, Pretty :>) mine decided to wait to open on the coldest day of my New Year. Its nice to sit inside watch the snow fly and enjoy seeing all these beautiful flowers we have.
Christine

Happy Gardening in 2014, may the winter be short & the spring come early.....

o

photo image_zps246f3070.jpg One of my string of pearls in bloom
 photo image_zpsbf098f44.jpg The papillio in bloom
 photo image_zps9566e3fe.jpg a double orange hibiscus
 photo image_zps04985c04.jpgone of my noid thanksgiving cactus in bud
 photo image_zps60028792.jpg one of my peach thanksgiving cactus in bloom photo image_zpsadcafed2.jpgmy true Christmas cactus the first time it has bloomed in 3 years! photo image_zpsb8540a3e.jpgJosh this is why I was so interested in your story because a new plant rescue place had open and bought a few plants there and when I went to pay for the plants they didn't have enough change for me and they were short a dollar and I said could I take a cutting off a plant here in exchange for the dollar. They said it was fine so I went straight to the E. Millii. Man was that plant ugly it only had one stem and it was about 5 feet tall! But it had some small branches on it and took a cutting off of it! Not as interesting as Josh's story!

This post was edited by Grantgarden2 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 13:17

o

Man, i need to go find myself a euphorbie milii, they are so pretty, the only problem is i get severe dermatitis from euphorbia sap, yet i still grow several euphorbias

o

This is my Lavender Star Flower Bonsai. Just bloomed this morning!!!

have a great day !

Laura

o

Grant, that's a cool story and a cool rescue! Meyer Mike also sent me one of the large-leafed varieties, but it isn't blooming right now. I'm no fan of pokey plants, but I'll take an Euphorb over a glochid-bearing Cacti any day of the week.

Here's a shot of the small-leafed E. milii, as it is now. Still in the same small container. I plan to prune it down low so that it stays compact and bushy. This one re-grows leaves/branches from pretty much anywhere along the trunk.

Josh

o

NOID Bromeliad:

o

Another angle:

o

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 21:37

I find your orchids incredibly beautiful. Please remove them from the snow :)

o

"Golden Embers" Phal.

o

Ascocentrum 'Mona Church'

Ascocentrum 'Mona Church' photo IMG_1558_zps50f18ff6.jpg

o

All I have blooming is a little Aloe...

Christopher

o

These are great!

Josh

o

The orchids looks like they are sitting in snow in the photos by planto

o

Those are Mike's orchids, I think.
He just put them outside so that he could take the pictures.

Josh

o

Juju...Lol...That's right..It was very warm that day and I decided to snap a shot like that..I know you are kidding..

Hey Josh....Love love love the flowers on yours!I love how far along that Milli has come along..It grew bigger and faster than mine.

Chris..Not bad..I love the tallness of it..Sorry Ihave not been around since my car accident..We will catch up.
Many of my succulents are flowering in the basement, which reminds me.

Tom, where in the world did you get that Orchid!? The Phal? I never saw one that color or that pretty..I would grow one too if they had them here. Never desired to grow one until I saw yours.

Pumpkin..Beautiful!

Laura...I can't believe you still have flowering Plumeria..What the heck? They are beautiful!!!!!!
Good job.
Congrats on the Star Flower..Pretty

Grant, where did you get that top flower? String of Pearls? It is strange looking..Love it

Purple and everyone else, AMAZING!.
Made my day with all this dreaded unforgiving Artic Air

Mike

o

Hi Mike,
Believe it or not I got that Phal at Home depot. I classify myself as a Phal killer actually but couldn't pass up this one and another attempt at not killing one. So far, so good!

o

Hey Mike,
Yep the bloom is from the string of pearls. I love the stigmas on them it's so curly!

o

These are ALL inspiring--so great to see what's blooming for everyone.

I love these little 'twinkle' Oncidiums. They're easy to grow, and fragrant.

Amanda

o

and the yellow version, blooming despite having been shredded by the cat:

o

Unbelievably awesome, the selection of plants! I've looked at all of these pics a few times. Grant, you have a better camera than I do, and the skill to use it!

Callisia fragrans is preparing a stalk of its' strange blooms. Probably won't be a Jan bloomer though.

o

Just a saintpaulia in a classy miller light can cachepot

o

Thanks, purple! The photos are taken with a iPhone sometimes it takes really amazing pictures or it just takes somewhat crappy pictures!
Grantgarden

o

I also have an onc. Twinkle blooming right now.

o

Dorstenia foetida blooms

o

Amaryllis 'opal star' on the left and 'clown' on the right. Im really in love with clown, the blooms are huge and so beautiful.

o

One of my Mystery noid amaryllis blooming at work.

o

Sorry! Duplicate

This post was edited by Grantgarden2 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 21:04

o

Good to see orchids showing up more.

Mike! That poor Catt! probably got frost bite on its tootsies! heh

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9959_zpsbedd7c2e.jpg

Not a great blooming on this one though it does have a few more buds started.

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9960_zps5ce01b37.jpg

Here's a shot from a year or two ago

6e7766ef photo 6e7766ef.jpg

This bud is on its way out but it has several more 'nubbins' started

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9958_zps2e63ca98.jpg

One of several AVs living in a terr

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9957_zpsd62f2b8f.jpg

A new plant for me ... got it as a cutting back in Nov.

Jan 2014 photo Streptocarpussaxorum_zpsf01b20ad.jpg

Pot o'pings still chugging along

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9956_zps5151c0dc.jpg

Psygmorchis pusilla ... a space saver -- plant is only about 1.5 inches (approx. 3.5 cm) tall

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9966_zps0ec4294b.jpg

Another for those who lack space -- entire plant including flower spike is only about 2 inches (5cm) tall from the base of the plant to the top. Happens to be fragrant too.

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9965_zpsb29ca239.jpg

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9962_zps7563969a.jpg

tongue froze to pole photo hiv010_zps2cdf2476.gif

o

Just had another Bloom under lights..

This plumeria is called Thai Surprise

Thank you Mike for the kind comments ;-)

Take care,

Laura

o

The beauty of all these blooms is incredible and a perfect lift to the winter blahs. My shamrock is still putting out blooms, this has got to be the longest blooming that I think this plant has ever had.
Christine

o

This is sort of a pre-bloom, just so excited been waiting for almost 2 years to see what color this kalanchoe is. :-)

I think it should make it before Jan 31. I will have to be careful though, its been fussy in its current state. Poor draining soil, north window. I let it get too dry a week or so ago and lost some buds. This spring i will do a much needed repot, just gotta pickup some perlite. I don't want to put it in "normal" gritty mix, its container is so large it would be too heavy. Substitute perlite for granite aught to do the trick.

o

Billbergia, these are so cool/weird-looking, they don't look real.

o

A diff angle.

o

my little cuttings of goldfish plant elected to do this now of all times...no idea if that is normal.

Sorry about the blur.

o

My Billbergia (nutans) is also blooming, or just tarting to.

Amanda

o

Hippeastrum 'La Paz' bud opening:

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 11:00

o

My camera doesn't do pick up the bright blue-purple of these blooms, unfortunately.

Amanda

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 10:11

o

My larger/older Veltheimia bracteata starting to open its buds:

o

The smaller V. bracteata's blooming for the first time. I got it as a seedling.

Amanda

o

I don't know what this is, but it has a tiny flower!

o

Tiff, looks like a Mammillaria gracilis ... albeit one that could use a bit stronger light.

o

TY, Paul. Astute observation about light too. Please tell the sun!!

o

My best friend sent me this pic of her amaryllis yesterday, the day before they had 11" of snow, you can see some of it through the window....
Christine

Beautiful blooms, you've all done such a great job growing them.

o

> This spring i will do a much needed repot, just gotta pickup some perlite. I don't want to put it in "normal" gritty mix, its container is so large it would be too heavy. Substitute perlite for granite aught to do the trick.

Smishgibson, perlite is more water-retentive than granite grit, especially smaller-particle perlite. Screen it, like the rest of the ingredients. You should probably be ok, but watch for overwatering just in case.

o

Do wish it wasn't so difficult to capture many of the reds and purples accurately with digital cameras. Never had that problem with film. Color should be much darker and richer -- none of the magenta garbage. (The font color I'm using is actually a bit closer.) If only you could see the actual color. *sigh*

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9968_zps3cad8240.jpg

This one starts off green then 'ripens' to yellow.

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9974sm_zpsd77f2185.jpg

Lightly fragrant

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9972_zpsaec1efce.jpg

I must admit I often forget about this mini. It's literally always in bloom (or darn close to it) so really have reached the point of rarely noticing. It has about filled up the 3inch pot its in -- and it has only taken around 5yrs or so to do it from the 0.5 inch plug I started with. heh (For those of you who have yet to venture into the world of micro minis, this is why they cost at least as much if not more than that blooming sized catt or cym. ;) )

The flower is roughly 5-6mm long from front to back. Entire plant stands about 1.5 - 2 inches (4-5cm) high.

Jan 2014 photo IMG_9980_zps9bbb1b2d.jpg

o

Easter cactus cutting is going to finish its' bloom afterall. The whole plant consists of 2 'leaves' and this flower.

Amazing pics all!! January is certainly not dull when it comes to captive blooms.

Paul, I have the same color trying to take pics of the subtle shades of succulents, the purple/red/pink area. Your pics are awesome in any case!

o

Oh you post so beautiful pictures!! I have just very few flowering plants - but they warm my heart on cold and snowy days!

o

This bloom opened finally today on my Oncidium NOID orchid, so I guess it counts as a January bloom, but only one has opened so far (well almost completely open). I bought it for only a couple of dollars on clearance last winter cause it was completely out of bloom, so I had no idea what it would look like or even what color it would be, so it was VERY exciting to finally find out. Its a beautiful burnt orange color, I just love it!! I cant wait for the rest of them to open!!

o

I have a Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii' that has bloomed a couple times already and has a handful of buds forming right now. It took me several pictures before I could get one that wasn't blurry:
Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii' photo 100_4279_zps23f7936a.jpg

Gasteraloe 'Green Ice' Now this one is sort of a cheat, it was blooming when I purchased it: Gasteraloe 'Green Ice' photo 100_4289_zps322a5395.jpg

Another cheat, this AV was blooming when I purchased it. It has a few more buds forming on it, so hopefully I'll have another set of blooms to look at. The one bloom is a bit odd looking to say the least:
Saintpaulia ionantha photo 100_4285_zpsfc81d3ed.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Planto

o

What beautiful blooms to end January, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all will show in February, we're one step closer to spring, yeah!!!!!

o

Planto, that's my kind of cheating!

These new pics are awesome! I've never seen a Gasteraloe bloom before. Last call for anymore today?

Oops, in my last post above I said, "Paul, I have the same color trying to take pics" (What color? Do I get red with irritation? LOL!)

Should be: Paul, I have the same problem with color trying to take pics...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here