Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

January blooms

Mine are same plants that were blooming last month, still going...

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana and wax Begonias.

Comments (71)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

{{gwi:68332}} One of my string of pearls in bloom
    {{gwi:68333}} The papillio in bloom
    {{gwi:68334}} a double orange hibiscus
    {{gwi:68336}}one of my noid thanksgiving cactus in bud
    {{gwi:68337}} one of my peach thanksgiving cactus in bloom{{gwi:68338}}my true Christmas cactus the first time it has bloomed in 3 years!{{gwi:68339}}Josh this is why I was so interested in your story because a new plant rescue place had open and bought a few plants there and when I went to pay for the plants they didn't have enough change for me and they were short a dollar and I said could I take a cutting off a plant here in exchange for the dollar. They said it was fine so I went straight to the E. Millii. Man was that plant ugly it only had one stem and it was about 5 feet tall! But it had some small branches on it and took a cutting off of it! Not as interesting as Josh's story!

This post was edited by Grantgarden2 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 13:17

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Man, i need to go find myself a euphorbie milii, they are so pretty, the only problem is i get severe dermatitis from euphorbia sap, yet i still grow several euphorbias

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

This is my Lavender Star Flower Bonsai. Just bloomed this morning!!!

have a great day !

Laura

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Grant, that's a cool story and a cool rescue! Meyer Mike also sent me one of the large-leafed varieties, but it isn't blooming right now. I'm no fan of pokey plants, but I'll take an Euphorb over a glochid-bearing Cacti any day of the week.

Here's a shot of the small-leafed E. milii, as it is now. Still in the same small container. I plan to prune it down low so that it stays compact and bushy. This one re-grows leaves/branches from pretty much anywhere along the trunk.

Josh

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

NOID Bromeliad:

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Another angle:

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 21:37

I find your orchids incredibly beautiful. Please remove them from the snow :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

"Golden Embers" Phal.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Ascocentrum 'Mona Church'

{{gwi:68340}}

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

All I have blooming is a little Aloe...

Christopher

10 years ago

These are great!

Josh

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The orchids looks like they are sitting in snow in the photos by planto

10 years ago

Those are Mike's orchids, I think.
    He just put them outside so that he could take the pictures.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Juju...Lol...That's right..It was very warm that day and I decided to snap a shot like that..I know you are kidding..

Hey Josh....Love love love the flowers on yours!I love how far along that Milli has come along..It grew bigger and faster than mine.

Chris..Not bad..I love the tallness of it..Sorry Ihave not been around since my car accident..We will catch up.
    Many of my succulents are flowering in the basement, which reminds me.

Tom, where in the world did you get that Orchid!? The Phal? I never saw one that color or that pretty..I would grow one too if they had them here. Never desired to grow one until I saw yours.

Pumpkin..Beautiful!

Laura...I can't believe you still have flowering Plumeria..What the heck? They are beautiful!!!!!!
    Good job.
    Congrats on the Star Flower..Pretty

Grant, where did you get that top flower? String of Pearls? It is strange looking..Love it

Purple and everyone else, AMAZING!.
    Made my day with all this dreaded unforgiving Artic Air

Mike

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Believe it or not I got that Phal at Home depot. I classify myself as a Phal killer actually but couldn't pass up this one and another attempt at not killing one. So far, so good!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Hey Mike,
    Yep the bloom is from the string of pearls. I love the stigmas on them it's so curly!

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    10 years ago

These are ALL inspiring--so great to see what's blooming for everyone.

I love these little 'twinkle' Oncidiums. They're easy to grow, and fragrant.

Amanda

10 years ago

and the yellow version, blooming despite having been shredded by the cat:

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unbelievably awesome, the selection of plants! I've looked at all of these pics a few times. Grant, you have a better camera than I do, and the skill to use it!

Callisia fragrans is preparing a stalk of its' strange blooms. Probably won't be a Jan bloomer though.

• JonnieSilvs
    10 years ago

Just a saintpaulia in a classy miller light can cachepot

{{gwi:68341}}

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Thanks, purple! The photos are taken with a iPhone sometimes it takes really amazing pictures or it just takes somewhat crappy pictures!
    Grantgarden

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

I also have an onc. Twinkle blooming right now.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Dorstenia foetida blooms

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Amaryllis 'opal star' on the left and 'clown' on the right. Im really in love with clown, the blooms are huge and so beautiful.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

One of my Mystery noid amaryllis blooming at work.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Sorry! Duplicate

This post was edited by Grantgarden2 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 21:04

• paul_
    10 years ago

Good to see orchids showing up more.

Mike! That poor Catt! probably got frost bite on its tootsies! heh

{{gwi:68342}}

Not a great blooming on this one though it does have a few more buds started.

{{gwi:68343}}

Here's a shot from a year or two ago

{{gwi:68344}}

This bud is on its way out but it has several more 'nubbins' started

{{gwi:68346}}

One of several AVs living in a terr

{{gwi:68348}}

A new plant for me ... got it as a cutting back in Nov.

{{gwi:68350}}

Pot o'pings still chugging along

{{gwi:68352}}

Psygmorchis pusilla ... a space saver -- plant is only about 1.5 inches (approx. 3.5 cm) tall

{{gwi:68353}}

Another for those who lack space -- entire plant including flower spike is only about 2 inches (5cm) tall from the base of the plant to the top. Happens to be fragrant too.

{{gwi:68354}}

{{gwi:68355}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Just had another Bloom under lights..

This plumeria is called Thai Surprise

Thank you Mike for the kind comments ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• christine1950
    10 years ago

The beauty of all these blooms is incredible and a perfect lift to the winter blahs. My shamrock is still putting out blooms, this has got to be the longest blooming that I think this plant has ever had.
    Christine

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

This is sort of a pre-bloom, just so excited been waiting for almost 2 years to see what color this kalanchoe is. :-)

I think it should make it before Jan 31. I will have to be careful though, its been fussy in its current state. Poor draining soil, north window. I let it get too dry a week or so ago and lost some buds. This spring i will do a much needed repot, just gotta pickup some perlite. I don't want to put it in "normal" gritty mix, its container is so large it would be too heavy. Substitute perlite for granite aught to do the trick.

{{gwi:68356}}

{{gwi:68357}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Billbergia, these are so cool/weird-looking, they don't look real.

Original Author
    10 years ago

A diff angle.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

my little cuttings of goldfish plant elected to do this now of all times...no idea if that is normal.

Sorry about the blur.

10 years ago

My Billbergia (nutans) is also blooming, or just tarting to.

Amanda

10 years ago

Hippeastrum 'La Paz' bud opening:

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 11:00

10 years ago

My camera doesn't do pick up the bright blue-purple of these blooms, unfortunately.

Amanda

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 10:11

10 years ago

My larger/older Veltheimia bracteata starting to open its buds:

10 years ago

The smaller V. bracteata's blooming for the first time. I got it as a seedling.

Amanda

Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what this is, but it has a tiny flower!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Tiff, looks like a Mammillaria gracilis ... albeit one that could use a bit stronger light.

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY, Paul. Astute observation about light too. Please tell the sun!!

• christine1950
    10 years ago

My best friend sent me this pic of her amaryllis yesterday, the day before they had 11" of snow, you can see some of it through the window....
    Christine

Beautiful blooms, you've all done such a great job growing them.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> This spring i will do a much needed repot, just gotta pickup some perlite. I don't want to put it in "normal" gritty mix, its container is so large it would be too heavy. Substitute perlite for granite aught to do the trick.

Smishgibson, perlite is more water-retentive than granite grit, especially smaller-particle perlite. Screen it, like the rest of the ingredients. You should probably be ok, but watch for overwatering just in case.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Do wish it wasn't so difficult to capture many of the reds and purples accurately with digital cameras. Never had that problem with film. Color should be much darker and richer -- none of the magenta garbage. (The font color I'm using is actually a bit closer.) If only you could see the actual color. *sigh*

{{gwi:68358}}

This one starts off green then 'ripens' to yellow.

{{gwi:68359}}

Lightly fragrant

{{gwi:68360}}

I must admit I often forget about this mini. It's literally always in bloom (or darn close to it) so really have reached the point of rarely noticing. It has about filled up the 3inch pot its in -- and it has only taken around 5yrs or so to do it from the 0.5 inch plug I started with. heh (For those of you who have yet to venture into the world of micro minis, this is why they cost at least as much if not more than that blooming sized catt or cym. ;) )

The flower is roughly 5-6mm long from front to back. Entire plant stands about 1.5 - 2 inches (4-5cm) high.

{{gwi:68361}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Easter cactus cutting is going to finish its' bloom afterall. The whole plant consists of 2 'leaves' and this flower.

Amazing pics all!! January is certainly not dull when it comes to captive blooms.

Paul, I have the same color trying to take pics of the subtle shades of succulents, the purple/red/pink area. Your pics are awesome in any case!

• veimar
    10 years ago

Oh you post so beautiful pictures!! I have just very few flowering plants - but they warm my heart on cold and snowy days!

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

This bloom opened finally today on my Oncidium NOID orchid, so I guess it counts as a January bloom, but only one has opened so far (well almost completely open). I bought it for only a couple of dollars on clearance last winter cause it was completely out of bloom, so I had no idea what it would look like or even what color it would be, so it was VERY exciting to finally find out. Its a beautiful burnt orange color, I just love it!! I cant wait for the rest of them to open!!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I have a Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii' that has bloomed a couple times already and has a handful of buds forming right now. It took me several pictures before I could get one that wasn't blurry:
    {{gwi:68362}}

Gasteraloe 'Green Ice' Now this one is sort of a cheat, it was blooming when I purchased it: {{gwi:68363}}

Another cheat, this AV was blooming when I purchased it. It has a few more buds forming on it, so hopefully I'll have another set of blooms to look at. The one bloom is a bit odd looking to say the least:
    {{gwi:68364}}

Thanks for looking,
    Planto

• christine1950
    10 years ago

What beautiful blooms to end January, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all will show in February, we're one step closer to spring, yeah!!!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto, that's my kind of cheating!

These new pics are awesome! I've never seen a Gasteraloe bloom before. Last call for anymore today?

Oops, in my last post above I said, "Paul, I have the same color trying to take pics" (What color? Do I get red with irritation? LOL!)

Should be: Paul, I have the same problem with color trying to take pics...