Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

The first Gardenia of 2008

snasxs
16 years ago

This is a follow up of my post: [images] My Gardenia is setting buds (Oct 27, North Virginia) which is posted on Sat, Oct 27, 07 at 20:09. Unfortunately, this post might has been deleted (or a technical error.)

The small plants continue to develop a ton of new buds over winter. Around Christmas, they are loaded with buds of all ages. I move one in my hot and dry bedroom. She shows no symptom of stress. The first flower opened shortly after the new year.

Do you remember their fragrance? My bedroom is filled with this elegant scent for almost 2 weeks now. It brings pure joy. Oh, Gardenia my love.

Here are some images:

{{gwi:68410}}

{{gwi:68411}}

Comments (102)

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi snasxs
    Hi puglvr1
    lol your dog re minds me of my dog when she was a puppy she ate my stereo speaker wire I had to replace it lol.
    The bayer my girlfriend use is the same one as the one you use.
    I have a rapitest moisture meter as well as a holds all meter they seem to work with small pots but not as much with big pots. is the acid food from miracle gro good or is the wal-mart brand better?
    my miralce gro soil does have peat in it
    lol my grandmother told me if I use one table spoon of distilled while vinegar in a gallon of water and water the gardenia
    with it once a month that the leaves will stop turning yellow does anyone know if this is true?
    I never heard of this before lol
    Thanks
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hey Richie,

Glad she used that Bayer. Sounds like she used close to the right amount. Miracle gro or Walmart brand is probably about the same, WM will be cheaper...any brand that says for acid loving plants should work. About the vinegar thing I attached a link from the Container forum that might be useful in explaining what it is used for. I think it has more to do with lowering the PH from your tap water?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinegar on Tap Water

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr1
    I Think I will just cut down on watering to every 3 or 4 days.
    the i going to give acid food every 2 weeks. then 2 weeks later iron then back the food and see if it gets happy lol.does this sound like a good idea?
    The store also told me the same thing that you all told me. to use the food plus iron and cutting back the water sould bring it back to being happy again.
    now on a sad note my girlfriend broke a 1 inch Breach it was a new two sided brance.
    I also when out and got 1 more gardenia plant another mystery.
    so far i got 1 gardenia aimee first love that seems a bit stress when I got it home. 2 gardenia mistery.
    and 2 Gardenia veitchii and one other gardenia not sure what type it is the pot has not name tag on it.
    Take Care and thanks for the link
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Cutting down on your watering sounds like a good idea, don't add too much iron, every two weeks might be a bit much iron. Just follow the directions on the bottle. The miracid every two weeks is fine, that's the directions on mine. I trimmed a few braches of my gardenias that didn't have any buds on it.

Wow, six gardenias, sounds like your really like them...they are very pretty plants, especially when they are nice, healthy and blooming. Enjoy them!

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    yes I love gardenia they remind me of when my girlfriend and I first met at a high school dance and how special she is to me.
    iron once a month feeding every 2 weeks
    the first mistery boom from oct to may and It look like it boomed 200 flowers wow wat a dream they are to own
    Thanks
    Richie

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ha ha ha Ha Ha Ha!

The picture is hilarious.

• cool81
    15 years ago

I agree the picture of the dog is hilarious.
    in tampa fl lighting strikes damage one of my computers.
    I guess it cause a power surge to go through my wall out lets.
    anyways how was your day snasxs?
    how was your day puglvr1?
    take care
    Richie

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Richie, do you have surge protector/UPS? These protect electronics by filtering out voltage spikes.

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi snasxs
    I just brought 8 surge protectors today.
    My friend put in a new power supply on the damage computer now it is working like new and I install the power outlet that was also damage by the storm.
    I wish I has these surge protector/UPS before this happen.
    It would have same me from the damage.
    How was your day?
    how is your gardenia?
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

update after applying the iron I had just 1 yellow leave and lot of new leaves growing it also has atleast 7 flower buds. I just want to thank you all for the help it seems like it is making a fast recovery
    Thanks
    Richie

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm, the plant should not react this quickly. It is not a pug. So, wait a month before commenting  if you are bored in between, you can post some pictures of you, your family, kids, grand kids, etc, and of course, larger pictures of your gardenia.

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi snasxs
    I know its not a pug but after taking the bad leaves off it only had 1 bad leave since. the new leaves where growing before the iron. I'm just saying that the iron seems to have done something good cause before this was added it was 3 or 4 bad leaves per day. in a month I will report the full report on it as far as pictures I will post some new gardenia pictures and some pictures of my two dogs
    soon.
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi snasxs
    did you take care of the bugs that where eating up the leaves from your gardenia?
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    it has been a while since you posted
    hope everything is ok.
    after that storm we had in tampa.
    I hope that lighting never strikes near my house again.
    hope all is well is you and snasxs
    Take Care
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Richie,

Glad things are improving on your gardenias...Sorry haven't posted in a while, went to TN on a family reunion, small town with horriblei internet connections. Barely got a signal and thought would just wait till I got home.

snasxs, glad you liked the picture, lol...

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr1
    how did your family reunion go?
    from what I notice is that if it is very hot outside then I will need to give the gardenia water every 2 days if the weather is cooler then every 3 to 4 days. if I wait to long leaves fall off cause of the gardenia getting way to dry. I will post pictures of the gardenia on monday and of my 2 pet dogs angel and candy.
    if all keeps going good with the gardenia then I will place it on a every 14 day feeding and every 4 to 5 weeks add extar iron.
    Take Care
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks for asking Richie, had a wonderful time. Weather was excellent. Cooler nights than what we have in FL. We didn't get any rain at all except a sprinkle according to my rain guage, so all of my plants were very dry when I got home. Spent a couple of hours watering everything.

Looking forward to pics of your dogs...

• cool81
    15 years ago

{{gwi:68420}}
    Here is is my dog candy. my other dogs picture is coming up soon.
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi Group
    {{gwi:68421}}
    here is my dog angel
    Later I will post a new picture of my gardenia plant
    Thanks
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Nice dogs Richie, very cute! Your dog Angel looks like a dog I had about 12 years ago, chihuahua(sp?) mix. Thanks for the pics...

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    angel is a sheperd boxer mix
    this dog does funny things like chasing her tail even tho shes 4 and half years old. I though only baby dogs do that lol
    one question when you feed your gardenia do you use 1 table spoon per gallon of water or half a table spoon I want to keep it well fed so it keep looking good.
    Thank you
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Richie, On my container the directions says to use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water every two weeks, check your box and see if it says the same thing. If you want to use it once a week, you can use (1/4 to 1/2 table) per gallon. It better to use a little less than too much, so you don't get a salt fertilizer build-up. Once in a while flush out the soil by watering it till the water drains out of the pot, so the excess salt gets flushed out.

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    Thanks for the advice
    I will feed it every 7days until it recovers 100% then I will go back to feeding it every 2 weeks.
    so far it has had a few bad leaves here and there but it is not as bad as before.
    on the bright side it keeps on getting more flower buds. none of the other ones have any at this time expect this one.
    I will post a new picture of the gardenia as soon as my new camera arrives.
    take care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr1
    I used the same bayer for the other gardenias. I like how it works.
    when these insects try to eat or drink the sap of the leaves they dye.
    Well I notice that snasxs was right it was to soon to clam the gardenia was better today i notice yellow leaves again/
    This is my game plan first feed every 2 weeks and use the 1 table spoon of distilled white vinegar in a gallon of water to keep the soil's ph in check.
    I will have a new gardenia picture tomorrow.
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

{{gwi:68422}}
    Hi Everyone
    Here is the new gardenia picture.
    I took off the 2 bad leaves. let me know what do you think. is it better or getting their?
    in this picture you will see 2 gardenias
    Take Care
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful Richie...you're doing a great job!! Don't worry too much when you get some yellow leaves, Mine seems pretty healthy, and has blooms right now, but I still get a few yellow leaves here and there. I am pretty sure yellow leaves are normal with gardenias. When new growths appear, the old leaves are replaced. As long as the overall tree is healthy and bug free, don't worry about the few yellow leaves. Its a normal occurence on my gardenias...

Thanks for the pics

• RealCool137_msn_com
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    You welcome.
    when it blooms I will send a picture
    of the gardenia
    Thank you puglvr1
    I agree with you about the yellow leaves. I see new leaves growing
    and I hope that the 1 small bare branch recovers some leaves.
    I am doing my best to keep the bugs off. so far so good.
    I'm watering it about 2 times a week.
    Take Care
    Richie

• RealCool137_msn_com
    15 years ago

one more question is using destill water better then using tap water?
    I heard tap water can cause problems with gardenias. i heard this from another garden center that I visited today
    Thanks
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Richie,

The link I posted below should be very helpful about your question. Hope it helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Distilled Water on Plants

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr1
    Thanks for the link
    I think I am just going to let the water sit the day before watering the gardenia.
    by then it should be 98% clear of thoses harmful items that can hurt these plants.
    well I think I might get to see some gardenias blooming soon. I'm still getting yellow leaves. I think i will move it into more sun light. right now it gets 1 hour so I think if it gets 2 or 3 hours of morning sun this should fix it.
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Ok today I lost a gardenia branch.
    can someone tell if I should change the soil from miracle grow to perfect mix?
    or how often should I water so far this is a 2 cubic feet planer it is in and i think may be the soil is staying to wet.
    Thank you
    Richie

• RealCool137_msn_com
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    can you help me with the question I posted
    and you say you use a wood dove. where can I get one of them
    Hope to hear from you soon
    Richie

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Richie - the same question over? Many posts ago, I have said:

From time to time, I wait until the young twigs slightly wilt before I water my Gardenia. I never lose any leaf or bud this way.

In my observation, "losing leaves" are exclusively caused by over-watering, fertilizer-burn and/or pests.

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi snasxs
    Ok since I think it was over water I'm letting it dry out until I see leaves slightly wilt.
    sorry to get the same question over.
    I forgot I asked that question before.
    I know it is not insect pest.
    It is very well fed. I feed it sometimes at half-strength.
    and other times every 2 weeks.
    I am going to brave it out by letting it dry out some.
    Thank you
    Richie
    P.S. it is getting good size buds.
    if it is ok I will like to post pictures when they open

• cool81
    15 years ago

my girlfriend should got this Liguid iron plus it has 0.50 magensim and %5.00 iron.
    puglvr1: check it out it might be a good answer to keeping the gardenia healthy
    Let me know what you think
    Take Care
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Richie,

If your soil is staying wet too long, you can repot it to a more draining soil, but that could cause you lose your buds...Just let it dry out a little more between waterings and then maybe after all the flowers bloom you can repot it by adding more perlite and add some pine bark(orchid mix) to your miracle grow soil. I don't use that soil, because it is mostly peat. Remember I use Al(tapla) soil mix.

By the way thanks for the Liquid iron info, right now I use chelated iron, probably similar to what you bought...

Good luck!

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    Thanks for the info on the soil now that i know it has peat in it i will have to cut down the watering.
    Your weclome I think liquid iron and liquid iron plus both are good when my liquid iron is finished I will use the liquid iron plus.
    it also has manesium in it.
    so still on the feed it liquid iron every 4 to 5 weeks and feed it every two weeks
    with the plant food change the watering to every 3 or 4 days.
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Update I see a gardenia bud starting to bloom when it is done blooming i will post it. bad news I found what looks to be like some white filys or mealy bugs.
    It has bayer 12 month trees and shrub protect and feed on it already.
    should I use any bayer sprays on the leaves in order to try to rid it of these bugs? I have cut down on the watering so far it is day 3 and no water. meter reads 7 moist when i put it in 3 inches down.
    we happy that we got a blooming gardenia flower that is a good sign.
    I want to say thanks to you
    puglvr1,snasxs and everyone else who has help us.
    if where not for you all I dont think this plant would be alive today.
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

ok today water was added to the gardenia it had some leaves that fell off a little yellow I made sure the meter reads wet but all I gave it was 2 inchs of water so as not to over do it as promised here is the picture
    {{gwi:68424}}
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Here is my gardenia mystery when she was smaller loaded with buds
    {{gwi:68425}}
    Richie

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Richie, that is so BEAUTIFUL!! See, you worried too much, it looks like you are doing a great job!! I wouldn't spray Bayer on the leaves, you already applied it to the soil. I wouldn't add anymore. If you see some more bugs on the soil, I would get a small spray bottle, add a little dish soap,(appx 1/2 teaspoon) to 16 oz. water, shake well and spray them. .Make sure you do this early morning( in the shade) NOT in the sun. Spray the bugs, let it dry before you put it back in the sun. You can rinse the soap off the plants later if you want before you put back in the sun...

The wood dowel that I mentioned on the above post can be purchased at Home depot or Lowes, get one that's 1/4" thick or similar. Stick the wood dowel in the soil halfway down, when you pull it out and the soil is wet, don't water...till the soil comes out ALMOST DRY.

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures...

• cool81
    15 years ago

you weclome puglvr1 and thank you for the advice
    I'm trying hard to keep it alive and so far it has reward me with a flower.
    I when to lowes and got the wood dowel 1/4" thick.
    now I will test with the wood dowel and water when needed
    I think the leaves that it lost will be replaced with time.
    as long as it is flowering I think it is a good sign
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    I use wood chips on the gardenias soil to
    keep the roots cool. I also found out that
    with this on the soil It will need less water so instead of watering every 3 or 4 days may be it can hold out longer between waterings.
    I just wish that I did not lose so many branches.
    before I found this site I lost 6 branches.
    still look full and I hope to keep it that way.
    I found what looks to be like a shell of a bug.
    it was suck on the branch so I pull it off and threw it in the trash.
    Take care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

Hi puglvr1
    ok so far so good no yellow leaves today but a ver bare braches tho. I feed most of the gardenias today.
    I feed them again in 2 weeks. as far as the big mystery gardenia I will feed it like snasxs does every seven days cause today my cousin who works at a garden shop told me this gardenia in need of a lot of food.
    I was only feeding once a month before I came to this group
    I think it might be hungry.
    The wood dovel works great so far the gardenia is good to go no need for water
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi puglvr1
    while transplanting one of the new gardenias a few 4 inch roots broke off due to it was tight in the 5 gallon pot it was in. my question is do you think it will pull throught?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me on this
    Take Care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

ok thanks for the advice on the root damage in the other gardenia group.
    I think its ok but will wait until a few days has pass to know for sure.
    the big gardenia is a little on the going down hill side.
    8 bad leaves today.
    what i know for sure is I tested with the wood dowel and moisture is ok
    but i notice its not getting enough sun so I move it to another place that gets more sun.
    hope this helps.
    i think its going to bloom another flower.
    I will keep you posted
    Take care
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

{{gwi:68426}}
    {{gwi:68427}}
    here are new flowers
    Richie

• cool81
    15 years ago

hi snasxs
    any updates on your gardenia?
    so far my gardenia is doing better still has a little leave lost but it is adjusting to the new spot i put it in the garden.
    Thanks to you and puglvr1 and a few others who has given me good advice my gardenia is back on track doing better.
    by way when does your gardenia bloom?
    my gardenia has bloom on and off through the year
    but blooms a lot around october.
    Take Care
    and once again thanks for the help
    Richie

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Wow , I have been wanting to read this popst for a while.. I have been just to busy! Now that I did...Very helpful information for all!! Thanks alot all.
    Thanks for your experience richie! Hope your denias do well. I would love to see more pictures! Give your denias alot more light if you can. You might find them no yellow leaves at all after a while.
    snasxs, great advice on watering and feeding. I will definately take your words to heart. Your Gardenias are beautiful. Don't you hate having to repeat yourself..lol. You definatley know how to treat a gardenia. You make it look alot easier than some of the post on hear seem to want us to beleive...;-). Thanks for the watering tip!
    And
    puglvr1, That wooden dowel suggestion is the best. I use one all the time. It works so great in the mix I use..Al's mixes. You are full of wealth too.
    This is a very helpful post, and I hope everyone here can take away alot from it. This would be the only post one has to read to do well at denias thanks to snasxs for even starting it!
    Thankyou all!!

Someday soon, I will post mine. I keep putting it off too...:-). I now have 4 in 4 inch containers, 2 in 12 inch , and 2 in 10 inch containers..Almost as many gardenias now as my citrus,,,lol.
    I have "Miami Supreme, August beauty, and some from Thailand. One flowers yellow!! Nice looking
    I would like to add one thing though to this post. I have found that the longer I keep my grow lights on, and the more sun they get, the less yellow leaves I get. But if I try to save money and give less light, or if it is cloudy for a few days, I seem to get some yellow leaves more frequent even though the watering is perfect. So now I just keep the lights on all day, and no yellow leaves, and the flowers open alot better. You could get a tan under my lights...lol
    Mike

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I understand you all want to know how the pictured plant looks now. Here is the story:
    I placed the Gardenia in a large window next to my front door. In mid-January, I was drinking wine and listening to the cds left by my ex-girlfriend. When it played La Vie en Rose, someone knocked on my door. It was an elegant old-lady called Tammy. She wore a nice female-suit which contrasted her shiny silver hair. When talking about Gardenia, lights came into her eyes. She said she loved Gardenia because she remembered the gift from her husband. However, she never had any success with Gardenia. I have a couple more Gardenia. So I offered my plant to her. Joy came to her eyes. After she smelled the open blooms, she could not release the pot from her arms. She insisted to give me $20 for the small pot in the picture. I remembered that I gave her the instructions from my experiences. I saw her drove away in white snow. Then I passed out on the couch. When I woke up, I realized that I forgot to ask for her address. But I hope the plant brought joy to the old lady.

Now I moved back to zone 5. My Gardenia plants show no sign of any bud at this time.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert