Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael1846

Is any one keeping their pointsettias

michael1846
10 years ago

I just cut mine back. I'm planning to use their green form in flower planters to give the planters some height. I all ways keep mine does any one else? I love their green self is so tropical. Am I the only one?

Comments (13)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I cut mines back too, and i am gong to try to create a 2 foot blooming specimen for christmas this year

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool I have 1 bonsai pointsettia. 2 rose pointsettias. And 1 standard. I'm going to re flower them for christmas 2014

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I do hope you'll take the decorative foil off the pots first pls.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

They do create watering issues if you don't drain tHe water out in between watering

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep it in but I take the pot out of it during watering

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

These have latex in the sap, for anyone with a known allergy to that. If you don't know, I wouldn't recommend experimenting, right, TG?

That said, yes I'm keeping one I was given, now that I think I understand it enough from reading discussions about it over the past few years to attempt to keep it alive.

Michael, in the realm of plants that can be kept over winter, tall tropical'n'green, I think you would love playing with Brugmansia and/or Plumeria (also has latex sap) for containers!

You might enjoy Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender,' some of the taller 'Kong' Coleus.

What about something much easier, like Cannas, that can be stored dormant for winter (if you have a garage or unheated basement, crawl space, cold space not much above freezing?) Definitely tall, def green, def tropical.

In the realm of seeds, vines can be grown on a tall, thin trellis in the middle of a container, with smaller surrounding plants, like morning glory or moonflower, hyacinth bean vine. Then there's 'queen' Zinnias that are 3-5 feet tall, sunflowers, Basil, Cleome.

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I have a few plants inside if you have any questions as to what something is or what's in something I'll answer them.

10 years ago

What's in the terrarium?

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

I like your lighting setup.

Where do you find the lamp, if you don't mind me asking ?

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple: the old fish tank terrarium is cacti and the vase one under it is emerged aqutic plants
    Aegis500: target! It was such a good buy I could not resist I can point with bulbs on whatever plants I like :)

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ALSO the water bottle is not me being ghetto there is a baby spider plant in it rooting :)

• kellyrae
    9 years ago

We have a staff member joining our office who is allergic to natural rubber / latex. Does anyone have a list of plant that contain this? I know Pointsetta, Ficus, Rubber Trees, but am sure there must be many others. Any information would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks, Kelly

9 years ago

Kellyrae, unless one is exposed to the sap inside the plant, the plants are not known to cause problems from mere close proximity, or even casual contact, like touching an unbroken leaf, though I have read anecdotes from doctors who determined such had happened from Ficus benjamina. I'm one of the unfortunate few allergic to latex in plants also, though I didn't used to be. Within the past few years, sensitivity has developed or shown up, not sure what the right term would be. I have other Ficus, but not F. benjamina, and don't have the interest in testing this. I do have many plants that I know from testing that do cause a rash on my skin, but unless the sap gets on my skin, I am not bothered by them, by merely caressing the leaves, moving plants around, or watering them. Gave up trying to figure out which, if any of my house plants were 'safe,' and now just have a policy against getting any plant sap on my skin.

That said, to answer your question:
    any member of the Euphorbia genus, not just poinsettia
    - Hoya (wax plant, rope plant)
    - Ascleipas (milkweed/butterfly weed)
    - Ipomoea (morning glory, moonflower vine, sweet potato and ornamental sweet potato vine)
    - Sonchus (a dandelion)
    - Plumeria / Frangipani
    - Ficus (figs and others, not just rubber tree)
    - Papaver (poppies)
    - Passiflora (passion flower)
    - Chelidonium (celandine)
    - plants of the Aroid family in general

Michael, is your plant still with us? I tried keeping one but wasn't very dedicated to making sure it didn't dry out too much, too often, the root ball has been contributed to compost.

- Tiffany