Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly087

Dead Corn Plant - HELP!!!

shelly087
10 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but hoping some of you plant lovers can help me!

First, let me say I am NOT a plant person. I know very little. This is my one and only plant that I received at my grandmothers funeral, so it has a place near and dear in my heart. I am desperately trying to keep it alive - but it dies more and more every month. Now it's down to pretty much nothing.

I have tried re-potting it into a bigger pot (with new soil). Watering it more. Watering it less. Breaking off dead leaves. Just about everything. I am now out of ideas. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you may have! Just remember - I am a plant virgin :-)

Comments (12)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Sorry about your loss. That looks like a spot without enough light for your plant. Do you have a window to put it near?

I'm pretty sure it's a Yucca. If it's a Dracaena, I don't think it's D. fragrans (usually what corn plant refers to.) Maybe a D. deremensis.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I would check for root rot to make shure it the roots are supporting it. I find that the secret to a healthy plant is maintaining healthy root zone. I think the roots are the problem. Do let them dry out in between watering. I also know this plant appreciates bright but indirect light. Tips to keep it healthy includes removing dust off leaves with a dam cloth if dust build up, misting to discourage bug infestations and turning it to make shire all sides receive light. The problems with this plant can be insufficient light, rotting roots, bug infestations, rough handling, and a horde of other environmental problems. By adjusting the environment to the plants needs, you can help your plant achieve environmental equilibrium and smooth and regular growth. I think it is a Yucca elephantipes reaching for sun

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Shelly - all the factors that influence a plant have a single point at any given time that's ideal - liker Goldilock's porridge. When any one of these factors strays in either direction, the plant is limited in its ability to grow and prosper. For instance, 70* might be the ideal temperature, but even if all else is perfect, straying from the ideal temperature means a limited ability for your plant to carry on its work.

Most of the growers that come here seeking resolution for problems are asking their plants to grow at the extremes of what they are genetically programmed to tolerate, but are disappointed when their plants reflect the stress induced by these extremes.

Moisture level (in the soil) is a major consideration, and is tied to several other factors either directly or indirectly. If you use a soil that allows you to water correctly, most of the other issues you're likely to fight will simply not show up to frustrate you. I'll leave a link to a thread that was written to help growers get a better idea of how to avoid most of the pitfalls that befall growers who haven't been exposed to much information that actually targets potential problem areas. I hope you find it helpful. Let me know if you want to formulate a plan for the immediate and something targeted at maintaining your plant in good health for the long term.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I too am sorry for your your loss...

I am pretty much successful and have been with most plants for years...But it's funny, this one I can never seem to grow, so for that matter never buy one.

I don't have enough sunlight or the room for one in front of a window....Many friends of mine are doing quite well with this plant in sunnier windows and mixes that drain very well..If you are not using a very porous mix, make sure you drain the salts from it every month or you will get yellow and black tips..

I hope you the best with that one..Many here are very willing to help you succeed.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Not enough light, I'd assume.
    Put it near a window with as much light as possible, then consider a new mix this coming Summer.

Josh

• shelly087
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice! The plant did receive quite a bit of morning sun, but besides that it was very limited. I moved it across the room by the patio window. We'll see if this makes a difference. Now I just have to live with the big empty space in my living room where the plant used to be :)
    Once spring rolls around, I will look into the roots. If it makes it that long! Unfortunately Wisconsin winters make that hard to do this time of year :)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Of course the plant is far from dead...If you wanted, you could even cut back to the main stems, or "canes" and new branches would grow.

Christopher

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Moving it directly next to a window is a good idea. You'd be surprised how quickly the quality of light decreases as you get a little bit away from the window. To me, this definitely looks like a plant that can still be saved, so don't give up on it yet.

• Edie
    10 years ago

Shelly,
    I have no doubt moving the plant to more light will help. Plants need all the light they can get in Northern winters. Here's what's bugging me, looking at your photo. I don't see a saucer under your plant's pot. You have nice wood floors, and I'm sure if water was dripping out the bottom of the pot you'd have put something underneath to protect the floor. I'm wondering if there's no saucer because the pot doesn't drain. Is there a hole in the bottom of the pot? Is it a pot within a pot, so the outer one is acting like a saucer?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I was thinking the very same thing. It looks as if the pot has no drainage. If that is the case maybe you are holding back on the water for fear of overdoing it? The mix looks very dry.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I wondered the same (if the pot had no hole).

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

If it does, water would run throgh the bottom of the plant, damaging your wood floors, if it has a drainage hole, I would pt it on a tray to catch water