Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could herbs be grown in a terrarium?

Posted by rosebuddy z4Ont (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 10:34

Has anyone ever tried growing herbs in a terrarium? Just sitting here wishing I could get some fresh basil during the winter months. I've tried on a sunny windowsill,even with a pepple tray, but I think the house is just too dry right now. I have african violets and cape primrose in there right now which flower nonstop, so was wondering if that would be enough light for herbs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could herbs be grown in a terrarium?

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 18:08

Don't see why not, though you might find it necessary to add a fan in the terr for air movement. Some herb like rosemary, however, I don't think would do well. I say give it a go!

o

Most herbs like full sun and dry soil. I wouldn't use a terrarium, but perhaps start some Basil seeds in regular pots, and transplant outside after danger of frost.

o

Hi,

I have to agree with rjm. Most herbs, including basal, need a lot of sun to do well. They really aren't indoor plants.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Although I don't lose any sleep that night. lol They sell herb kits and say, " grow herbs on your windowsill". Most people's windowsills do not produce enough light to grow herbs. Most herbs are full sun plants. Now, for those of you who grow great herbs in your windowsill, that's very nice. But you are the exception. Most people who buy these kits are very disappointed.

Larry

o

Thanks for the replies! I do like Pauls "give it a go" attitude. I'm always surprised at how well some plants do that I have when placed in odd environments other than what the books recommend. I will be careful though and keep my herb of choice in a pot in the terrarium so that I can move it outside in the spring if it's not happy. Will keep you posted.

o

Like Larry, I get frustrated and annoyed at those ads for growing herbs on your windowsill, and this year or so there seems to be a big fad for offering 15" plastic terrariums with soil and seed packets for half a dozen herbs you're supposed to be able to grow in there. They say nothing about light. I do think you might have a chance with basil, because in my yard at least it does pretty well when I plant it in less than full sun sometimes. It does love humidity, unlike a lot of herbs, so a terrarium of some sort might really help, so long as you can give it enough light. Never hurts to experiment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here