Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone like grape ivy?

Posted by elkay 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 10:54

(aka cissus rhombifolia, right?)
I like it - I've had mine for years and years.
Photobucket

I also have had the kangaroo vine (c. antarctica) which I hope to have again. Anyone have a piggyback plant? I had one when I lived in CA. I'm going to get one this summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone like grape ivy?

I love GRape Ivy. Yours is absolutely beautiful. Wow..
Here's mine, but it's nowhere as pretty as yours.

GrapeIvy8-10

I have a, I think, Antarctica, but can't find a pic..too lazy to snap one..lol..

I'm planning on getting two Piggybacks this summer. Green and variegated. Getting them at Accents. Can't wait til temps warm..lol. Toni

o

I love the looks of grape ivy but it was the only plant I ever had that developed powdery mildew inside! That was ages ago and I haven't bought another one.

o

C. rhombifolia and it's sports are among my favorite house plants. Elkay's photo above is the species; Hopeful Author's appears to be the sport 'Ellen Danica' (aka 'Oakleaf'). My very favorite is C. rhombifolia 'Mandiana'. Unfortunately, that variety seems to be lost to commerce. I grew it a number of years ago, and passed it along to a neighbor when we were posted overseas. It was the first plant I tried to replace when we retuned, but haven't been able to locate it anywhere. All of the grape ivies are difficult to propagate and rather slow to grow. Consequently, they're not of much interest to the large-scale wholesale operations. Too bad, because the various members of the rhombifolia group make really terrific house plants.

If any indoor gardener here knows of a source for C. rhombifolia 'Mandiana', PLEASE let me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here