Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

It's winter, friends - post plant pictures!

joel_bc
15 years ago

It's winter (emphatically so, where I live). I, for one, would love to see pictures of people's beautiful, flourishing house plants. How about posting some?

Personally, I especially enjoy seeing plants that can make it through the short-day, generally dimly sunlit winter that we have in the north (I'm in Canada, 90 minutes - by car - north of the U.S. border).

But like many people, I generally just enjoy seeing healthy house plants.

Top of the new year to you...

Joel

Comments (48)

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Great idea Joel!

Here's just a few, although not a whole lot flowering.

Angel-wing begonia-

{{gwi:68809}}

Dragon-wing begonia-

{{gwi:68812}}

Hoya compacta (hindu rope)

{{gwi:68815}}

Hoya nummularioides-

{{gwi:68818}}

Table-top Cherub Fountain-

{{gwi:68820}}

Sansevieria-

{{gwi:68823}}

Billy Rae

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Living room jungle and a Dendrobium "Salaya Minist"

{{gwi:68825}}

{{gwi:68827}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oh, and a Oncidium "Carnival Costume"!

{{gwi:68829}}

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

It is certainly winter in alberta, Canada, with temps in the -35 to -40s!! This is what keeps hope alive [I'll bet for the most of us!!]
    {{gwi:68831}}
    one of a few orchids in bloom
    {{gwi:68832}}
    our ZZ{{gwi:68834}}
    in the basement, we have the home made light stand
    {{gwi:68836}}
    last pic..more plants in the puter/plant room
    {{gwi:68839}}
    hope everyone stays happily green

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

{{gwi:3274}}

I love this little plant. Got it a few years ago with a broken stem, two leaves & one bloom - the bloom was the clincher for me. I nursed it back to health & have shared lots of starts with friends. It's Impatiens, species/cultivar unknown. It blooms intermittently all winter, but is a steady, but not profuse bloomer outdoors in summer - especially after you learn its preferences. Hope it brightened the day a little for you.

Al

• dellis326 (Danny)
    15 years ago

Yeah, this is what I need to tempt me . . .
    We'll see if this works, I've never tried to add photos

I don't really want to keep them bunched up so close but the more sensible half of the household insisted on having furniture in the room.

{{gwi:68842}}

4 Dracaena's, a Begonia and a small orchid
    {{gwi:68845}}

Dracaena? A corn plant maybe.
    {{gwi:68847}}

Schefflera cutting in water
    {{gwi:68849}}

Found this one in the trash in the beginning of december with only one leaf, I don't know what it is.
    {{gwi:68851}}

Pineapples, The two big ones are over 3 feet tall. I started them last winter.
    {{gwi:68853}}

Some kind of Begonia, Don't know which.
    {{gwi:68855}}

My nemesis. . . see the evil look in his eyes?
    {{gwi:68857}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A few more photos here

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

NICE all of you......Very nice.....makes you want spring so bad...dellis, looks like you elephant ears are trying to escape out your window...lol. Must be a suuny one.
    Cute cat!!

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

I have no idea if I'm posting my pics correctly, but here goes....{{gwi:68859}}
    My livingroom

{{gwi:68861}}
    and MY nemisis, Dan. This is Roxie

{{gwi:68863}}
    Ficus Benjamina
    {{gwi:68865}}
    Golfish Plant

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Hi, since we don't have cold winter, so I mostly don't keep plants indoors except my AVs. Here're some to brighten your days.

{{gwi:68867}}

{{gwi:68869}}

{{gwi:68870}}

{{gwi:68872}}

{{gwi:68874}}

Xuan (from Vietnam)

Here is a link that might be useful: View my garden at Tuysonvien

• Pat z6 MI
    15 years ago

You are all so cool for sharing your pictures. I WANT ROXIE and those AVs!!!!!
    Thank you to Xuan for sharing his beautiful part of the world. Everyone's pics made going through the coming-soon snow storm bearable.
    Pat in SE Michigan.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oncidium Twinkle! Just got this this week!

{{gwi:68876}}

• dellis326 (Danny)
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your pitures.

An elephant ears? Is that what that is? I'm in trouble then, there's not enough space on my studio work bench for one of those. It already doesn't fit there. The windows are eastern exposure with sun from dawn to late morning about forty feet above street level so nothing is blocking the sun

Anyone know what kind of begonia I have?

Dan

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Al, that impatients is just beautiful has it ever set seed for you? Everyones photos are just beautiful. As I sit here waiting for our next storm to drop 6-9 inches of snow on us this weekend I envy those of you in warm climates!
    Chaz
    a blooming sanseviera cylindrica
    {{gwi:68878}}

view from my kitchen
    {{gwi:68880}}

orchid a dendrobium variety
    {{gwi:68882}}

Solandra Longiflora
    {{gwi:68884}}

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Oh, I love this idea. I just took some pics this week of some houseplants.
    They are here at the bottom link. Almost all of these are new to me, so I can't say if they are reliable or not.
    I love the plant room pics. Mine are more scattered on window sills.

Last years houseplants - a lovely collection-14 pics with some macros-
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/houseplants%2007-08/

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 pics this year- plants labeled

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/December%2008%20animals/IMG_4886.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/December 08 animals/?albumview=grid&fullsize=IMG_4886.jpg

Hopefully a pic of Frank-

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 pics cold critters

• sunny631
    15 years ago

Great pics everyone. I enjoyed seeing all your goodies.
    Let's see if I can share some of mine. I'm on a MUCH smaller scale than some of you but, here goes. Let's see if I know how to do this first.

[IMG]http://www.plantswap.net/forum/members/sunny757/albums/s-comin-togather/4894-croton.jpg[/IMG]

• sunny631
    15 years ago

OK think I got it

{{gwi:68886}}
    {{gwi:68888}}
    Don't have much inside but let's go outside for a second
    {{gwi:68890}}

(pay no attention to all my winter sowing junk in the back)
    {{gwi:68892}}

{{gwi:68894}}
    {{gwi:68896}}
    {{gwi:68897}}
    {{gwi:68898}}
    and for my nemesis
    {{gwi:68899}}
    This is on the boardwalk by my house
    {{gwi:68900}}

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

WOW, Beautiful pics everyone! Dellis, I'm fairly certain you have an Angel wing Begonia. Does it flower pink? [mine has small pink, waxy flowers periodically.
    Happy Growing!!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Think spring
    {{gwi:50551}}
    {{gwi:582}}

• greenelbows1
    15 years ago

That was my second begonia (the first was a semp, used mostly for bedding now I think, but it was a houseplant then.) We called 'em Angel Wings, but now we're told to call them 'Cane' begonias, for the bamboo-like shape of their stems. There are many, and some don't have 'angel wing' shaped leaves. That is a very early and beautiful hybrid called Lucerna. Different ones come and go, but Lucerna keeps on keepin' on. Yours is very nice and healthy. Probably needs a little more light to bloom, but the flowers can get a little messy in the house--you can take it outside in the summer for a little more light and blooms.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

Ooooh, so pretty, everyone. I'm jealous =P I need to charge my camera's battery! Where's PG's pics? Prolly trying to figure out the new camera, eh? :-D

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Daw,

(This forum's been so nuts lately), I'm a bit nervous if I should answer you or not.

But yes, I too need batteries & am also trying to figure out the camera. Additonally, I don't have many plants that are visibly in new growth yet, other than the ZZ pic I posted already.

Is it safe to come out yet (peeking out from behind the door jam)???

• emerald1951
    15 years ago

Hi all heres some of my plants,
    1-living room right side of window{{gwi:68901}}
    2-living room left side of window{{gwi:68902}}
    3-living room top of window{{gwi:68903}}
    4-living room under window{{gwi:68904}}
    5-dining room{{gwi:68905}}
    6-also dining room{{gwi:68907}}
    7-kitchen window{{gwi:68908}}
    8-walk way to front door{{gwi:68909}}
    I hope you like them...linda

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Finally! Some flowers!
    Enjoy.

Josh

{{gwi:68910}}

{{gwi:68911}}

{{gwi:68912}}

{{gwi:68913}}

{{gwi:68915}}

{{gwi:68916}}

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

OK, I found a couple of things to shoot:

Stephanotis seeds, from Cena, planted Aug. '08

{{gwi:68917}}

Tangerine seeds which I potted up right after eating the Tangerines, maybe 2 months old

{{gwi:68918}}

No ID Begonia in its Terrarium, pinched from 1 piece into 3 (maybe 2 months old)
    (as soon as I saw new growth, I pinched off a piece & stuck that in the mix)

{{gwi:68919}}

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

PG: Ah, I knew you'd find something, it's too much fun with a new camera (can you believe it, I charged mine, took pics, then realized I didn't know where the cord to connect it is?!). Lovely plants (did already see the ZZ elsewhere), was hoping for some succulents though, don't you have lots? Or did I make that up like a crazy-head? Or they just aren't doing anything new at the moment?
    Josh: Wow. So pretty! What is that, easter? Or thanksgiving or christmas? Lol, or is there honestly no difference? o_O

• citosa
    15 years ago

Here's a page that explains the differences between Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti. I'd say Josh's is a Christmas cactus. I really like the Easter cactus myself.

15 years ago

Hey, Daw! Thanks! That's a Christmas Cactus. It's been in the family for thirty years. I'll take more pics when the plant is in full bloom (there are only two partially opened flowers at this point).

Josh

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Josh,

Beautiful pix; I love that last shot, distance, color, just perfect. Amazing that those buds looked almost white to start; their color when fully open is something else.

Yes, we DID establish his are CC, not Thanksgiving; that IS the perfect article. I believe the line already formed to beg Josh for cuttings as true CC aren't so easily found anymore. ;>)

Hey Chazparas,

I've never has a Sans. bloom for me, had no idea they'd do it in winter. Am I the only one who noticed & is AMAZED to see his Sans in lovely bloom against a backdrop of SNOW? Any idea how old it is? I'm an ardent Sans. admirer, so thanks, it's an extra treat!

Daw, I gotta get batteries, but the biggest challenge is to remember to shoot the pix during the day; eveything I've shot so far has been at night. I'm keeping all camera stuff together in the original box so I won't lose anything!

Xuan,

Gorgeous AVs, great shots as usual!

Jasdip,

Can't that beautiful little gray cat pls. come here to me?

Thanks everybody, Come on Spring!!

15 years ago

Thanks, PG!
    I included that last shot to give a taste of the grey skies outside versus the color within. I positioned myself so that the dark pitcher would be behind the bloom as a sort of backdrop. Plus, I'm always trying to sneak a Jade into my line-up (little 'Gollum' in the window).

Josh

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Beatuiful Pictures everybody!! Super cute kitties!!Thanks for sharing!!

My very first Hoya Pink Silver bloom!! I'v very excited!!

{{gwi:68920}}
    {{gwi:68921}}

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

It's so cool to see everyone's plants! We're truly plant and animal lovers. Don't they go hand in hand? Thanks for the compliments on Roxie....she is adorable, for sure.

Puglvr, your hoya blossoms are drop-dead gorgeous. I took some cuttings off a huge hoya in our common-room (with permission) and I was very surprised how quickly they rooted in water. Now I'll see how I do at growing them.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

*gasp* Beautiful hoyas! *siiiiiiiiiiiigh of jealousy* :-P

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Hey Pug,

Nice shots, beautiful Pubicalyx, if ever there was an advertisement about why we Hoya addicted folks ARE so Hoya crazed -- I'd say that's it. Congratulations to you, good growing!!!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Hi there Pirate Girl,
    The sans is in my posession about 2-3 years (?) it was purchased at a local grocery store with 3 leaves in a smaller pot. It is quite pot bound and in a southern facing window, I water it maybe every 6-8 weeks over the winter, the room stays somewhat cool, my heat is never over 62 because of the exposure of the home to the sun and the excellent insulation. I was very surprised when it flowered, my oldest sans which is a trifsciata variety is from the 1800s a wedding present to my uncles grandmother, it blooms about every other year sometimes spring others fall, it just decides its ready and goes. The scent is wonderful and only at night! I have a couple of other Sans varieties but they have not flowered for me yet, some Hahnii and Masons Congo. I love them as much as my hippeastrums but no room in this home for more.. :( I love the bold in your face hippis, but my real love is anything that blooms with a scent, even if its horrid! (comes from being born near the Gowanus Canal! LOL)
    Happy Winter!

This is the south east corner of my sun/plant/study room.
    {{gwi:68922}}

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Jasdip, Daw and Pirate Girl! appreciate the kind words...

PG, you are so right, just a little over a year ago, I have NEVER even heard of Hoyas, till I found them by accident that led me to searches(GW) and the hoya forum, the rest is history, LOL...

Chaz, very nice plants!!Quite an indoor jungle you have going on there...happy growing everyone!

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Well I'm still learning, but here's a couple of Hoya Pix:

Hoya kerrii variegate:

Unusual in that it's growing Hydro, inside the pot is another pot full of Leca stones. That little gizmo sticking up is a water meter. The seller instructed me to water only when the inside of the pot is bone dry. The water meter acts as a handle, I lift the plant w/ that to check & right now it's about 3 wks btwn waterings (w/ his special fertilizer at every watering).

{{gwi:68923}}

My H. australis variegate: extremely slow growing, but low maintenance & pretty

{{gwi:68924}}

The H. No ID peduncles (guessing H. shepardhii): 1 of 6 peduncles, some on here for ONE YEAR, such teases, some peduncles now have a 2nd baby, peduncle next to it. IÂm hoping now that IÂve got the camera, this Spring maybe itÂll decide to bud up & bloom already!

{{gwi:68925}}

So I'm better at cropping, but not resizing pix to include in EMails.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

PG,

Your Hoya Variegated Kerri and Australis is gorgeous!! I don't have either one of those yet...have one small rooted cutting of each of the regular ones. Hope to see buds on that peduncle on your Shepardhii/NOID soon...

Do you find the Variegated Kerri to be a slow grower also? May I ask how long it took to get that size? Very attrative!!

You're getting the hang of your camera...good job! Looking forward to more.

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Thanks Pug,

For your kind words, I just re-posted these same pix to the Hoya Forum so that we can limit our conversation to Hoyas. I'll be happy to answer your questions over there.

Chazparas,

Thanks much for the Blooming Sans. info.. I've had some of mine going on 10 yrs. & no bloom yet & I've got decent western exposure. Wow, a S. cylindrica from the grocery store? Not around here!! Quite the tropical jungle you've got going on there. I've never been to MASS (yet), but wow, who knew such things were even possible? Great growing!!!

• ks_girl
    15 years ago

I've been looking at all the wonderful pictures and just had to add some of mine.

Variegated Lipstick plant
    {{gwi:68926}}
    Schlumbergera x buckleyi
    my first bloom on cuttings I started two years ago.
    {{gwi:68927}}
    Lipstick plant Black Pagoda
    {{gwi:68928}}

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Ks-girl,

You Variegated lipstick plant is just gorgeous!! I actually have the black pagoda also, I almost missed the flowers when mine bloomed...they blended with the rest of the plant,lol. They have the neatest leaves on that one. Thanks for sharing!! Oh your CC bloom is beautiful also!

• bunnygurl
    15 years ago

I'd love to post some pics of my plants, but I have no idea how! Can anyone help me out.

All of your plants are so beautiful. I just want to add my two leaves...get it? Instead of two cents I said two leaves! Ha ha. Oh I crack myself up.

• emerald1951
    15 years ago

Hi everyones plants are great and beautiful.....thanks for posting....

• karen715
    15 years ago

It's March first. Spring will be here before we know it. But I thought I'd share a picture I took yesterday of my first hibiscus blooms of the season. Luke was curious about the plant, but not all that thrilled about having his picture taken.

{{gwi:68929}}

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Here's a few more.

Hoya compacta (Hindur Rope)

{{gwi:68930}}

Variegated Hoya compacta (Hindur Rope)

{{gwi:68931}}

'Fire Flash' (Chlorophytum amaniense)

{{gwi:68932}}

Yellow flowering Euphorbia milii

{{gwi:68933}}

Misc Plants, South window

{{gwi:68934}}

Misc Plants, West window

{{gwi:68935}}

Calamondin miniature orange tree

{{gwi:68936}}

Baron- Bear-Bear

{{gwi:68937}}

Spathiphyllum "Domino" Peace Lily

{{gwi:68938}}

Early 90 year old Boston fern

{{gwi:68939}}

Close-up

{{gwi:68941}}

Billy Rae

• bunnygurl
    15 years ago

You have ALOT of gorgeous plants Billy!!!! I'm so jealous! How difficult is a Fire Flash to take care of? Does it require the same basic care as a regular Chlorophytum 'cause I really want one. It's so neat.

A 90 year old Boston Fern!? I'm sincerely impressed! Keep up the impressive work! Wow....

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

First let me just say, everyone sure has some very beautiful plants.I really loved looking at every one of them! Great colors too!

Hi Bunnygurl,

Thank you for the nice complements!

The fire flash isn't difficult to care for at all, like a reg spider. So now you'll have to go out and get yourself one!
    With the reg Spiders, I let the soil dry between waterings. With the fire flash, well, I was doing the same thing in the beginning, but the leaves would wilt down a bit, so now it gets watered when the soil still feels slightly moist yet. Give it a big drink "before" it completely dries out, that way you'll avoid any sulking.

Billy Rae

• tishfromwis
    15 years ago

Oh, this forum just gets better and better!!! Exceptionally friendly people that actually enjoy helping others! And cat lovers to boot!!! I would post my cats' pictures, but I'm afraid I'd get into trouble. I have as many cats as I do houseplants...8!

Such amazing plants, all of you!!!

Tish

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022