Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Dracaena Problem?

davemichigan
13 years ago

Here is my dracaena. On the left you can see it in its environment.

The right picture shows brown spots on the leave. I always water from the bottom, so these are not water spots. What do you think the problem is and what I can do about it?

I water it every week and fertilize about once a month.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

{{gwi:68948}}

Comments (10)

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Kinda looks like sunburn to me. What direction does the window face?

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Yes, eliminate water spots. Looks like a fungal or possibly fertilizer burn.
    You fertilize monthly...how much fertilizer do you use? Do you reduce dosage in winter? During winter, 'I halt fertilizing,' but for those who feel it's needed, 1/4-1/2-strength is best.
    Your Dracaena looks a good distance from the window. Is that where it's normally kept? Toni

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bunnygurl, the window is facing SE, so it gets a few hours of sun in the morning, but we don't get that much sun in Michigan though.

Toni, I fertilize with Miracle Grow all-purpose fertilizer, 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water, once a month. I don't reduce dosage in winter because I think it is a pretty low dosage already, but I might be wrong.

And yes, that is the distance/place where I normally keep that dracaena.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Dave, my eyesight is getting worse, I swear..I thought you had two Dracaenas, one in the window, one several feet away. LOL. Sorry

I agree, a SE window, in MI, this time of year, won't cause leaf burn.

How many leaves have these spots? I would remove it..it'll never revert to its original color/health.

There are different reasons plants gets Brown Spot. Fungus, insects, lack of humidity.

How do you care for your Dracaena other than fertilizing? Dave, fertiling is debatable. First, when a plant has problems/sick, it's said to withhold fertilizer. Second, during winter months, when days are gray, a fertilized plant is likely to grow spindly. Third, some Dracaenas are slower growing than others, especially in winter. Many go dormant. 'Like people. When we sleep, we don't eat. Same concept.' Slow growing plants are better off getting less fertilizer than fast-growing plants.
    One way to tell is by growth. Has new foliage grown since last summer?
    If we lived in a warm, humid, sunny climate, it'd be different.
    How long have you had this guy? Toni

PS: Your window view is beautiful.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Dave,

Pls. go back & read the recommendations on the fertilizer package. I believe your amounts are incorrect & too high. It's important to follow the suggested formulations.

I'm in my office now, not home, so this is from memory, but I seem to recall Miracle Grow powder (aqua blue right), suggesting the appropriate dosage something like 1/4 tsp per gallon, so from my memory, your dosage is definately too high.

IMO, you should stop fertilizing since the plant is ailing & can't use it; I'd see what else is wrong & you can always go back to fertilizing come Spring.

Toni, hi there, I believe it's TWO pix separated by a sliver of a thin line which apparently is too thin for you to see, but it IS there.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hi Karen..how's life?
    Actually you're right about the fert dossage. Well, half right..lol..The box had instructions for weekly or bi-weekly and monthly fertilizing.
    Wkly is 1//4, monthly 1/2 teas. MG comes w/a measuring spoon for both methods.

Yeah, I had to re-look at the picture...gotta get to the eye doc..ASAP. And I'm NOT joking.

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Toni, there are about 10 leaves with spots. I have this plant for about 3 years now. It got repotted to this pot about a year ago. Since the container is small, I thought it might have used up all the nutrients in the soil, so I subconsciously tried to fertilize it a little more.

Pirate_girl, I just went and checked. My fertilizer is actually not Miracle Gro as I said but Vigoro. The recommended dosage for house plant is 1 tspn / gallon if you fertize every 14 to 28 days. If you fertilize once a month, it says to double the strength. So the strength that I used seems ok.

But since you all think it might be too much fertilizer, and since it is winter now, I will stop using it until spring.

• jean001a
    13 years ago

Possible fluoride toxicity?

From http://www.mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/folnotes/dracaena.htm:
    " WARNECKII and JANET CRAIG

1. Fluoride toxicity

Symptoms -
    Elongated tan to dark brown areas form first in the white tissue of `Warneckii', then progress to marginal necrosis. `Janet Craig' tips and margins have chlorotic and necrotic areas. ..."

Here is a link that might be useful: fluoride tox in dracena

• PRO
    Creative Mind
    7 years ago

This is a common Wernekii bacterial leaf spot. Almost always seen from seed onward, it is common to see a sudden breakout even years after obtaining the plant. It usually isn't responsive to treatment and if you decide to replace it, the soil should be bagged and disposed of far away from your gardening supplies. Bleach solution is warranted for any tools or containers. Taking cuttings will also spread this as it is systemic and will remain with the new cuttings. It is also recommended to replace this species with one from a different nursery source. :/ it is great that you had three good years with your plant though. Good luck I'll post a link to the disease info