Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaslee_gw

Where to buy Houseplants??

peaslee
17 years ago

I'm a total houseplant newbie. Where is the best place to buy houseplants for a reasonable price? Nurseries? Mail order sites such as White Flower ($$)? I bought a couple at Loewe's that are doing okay, but there did not seem to be much selection.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I find many of mine at Walmar, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...
    These are "hit and miss" places. The "special" plants will come in at various times and there will usually only be one or two available. Also keep in mine (if you live in an area where there are more than one Walmart, etc) that each store will have different plants. If they order "assorted plants" from their suppliers, they never know what might be delivered.

A few of mine came from the local nurseries that are open through the winter (usually the ones that grow their own plants in greenhouses). They will generally have a very nice selection of houseplants and in the smaller affordable "starter" pots, too.

If you are a total newbie to houseplants, the vining Philodendrons are pretty easy to care for. My Walmart has Philo 'Brazil' right now in small 3 dollar pots. This is a beautiful plant with leaves that look like they have been painted. I think Philos are probably my favorite houseplant for ease of care and for versatility.

Have fun "hunting"! :o)

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Like WB says check all the places and check them often. Stop by any local greenhouses and see what they offer. And look in unusual places, this Christmas I picked up some Christmas Cacti from my Walgreens and last summer they had an assortment of cacti for sale.

I keep reading about people finding plants in their local dollar stores but I have yet to see those in my area. Look ever where and look twice and if you know someone who has houseplants ask for a cutting if they can spare it.

• hallgal2
    17 years ago

Keep your eyes open at unexpected places - I have gotten some really good plants at the grocery store. I just went grocery shopping on Thursday night, and came home with a large spider plant for only $1.49! It's not in the best of shape, but it's not in awful shape either.

I've also gotten some other plants at the grocery store - snake plant, Christmas cactus, oxalis to name some others.

Good luck - I'm still a relative newbie myself, and I've learned alot on this forum.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

I'd stay with the suggestions as above, including the supermarket. I've seen some amazing buys at one of my own supermarkets (one has great plants, the other has awful plants, in sad condition).

For a newbie, I suggest avoiding buying from florists or mail order (you'd be spending too much money on plants, before you learn what your own situation can grow & what plants you like vs. don't like).

Welcome to you: you can learn lots just by observing what plants you see that other folks have that you like, ask questions of them (what is it & how do you grow it, etc.) & reading around here.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

Try local mom & pop smaller garden centers, you never know what you'll find! Half the fun is browsing!

Tom

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Even if you don't buy online, you can learn a lot about plants by going to various websites and reading what they have to say about their plants, and looking at the pictures when they have them. I used to say, before the internet, that I learned as much about plants from catalogs as I did from books. Now I waste incredible amounts of time with google and plant sites--and of course here!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz