Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

mini/fairy/dollhouse, honey I shrunk the garden!

...so you've got some tiny plants, and daggone they're cute. BUT what if you made a tiny garden scene with them? You'd have a mini garden. Put some little sprites or fairies and it's a fairy garden. Put it next to a dollhouse, or put a dollhouse IN it, and it's a dollhouse garden. Whatever style appeals to you, how cool is this for people who don't have a ton of space - or just need another niche addiction? Can't afford to visit a rain forest? Make a tiny one! Don't have a back yard? Make one in a pot!

Here are some pics from a great store I found that has a section devoted to tiny gardens/tiny plants. The individual plants are those I've acquired in the past week (so far) to prepare to attempt to create a couple of "honey I shrunk the gardens!"

A mini garden in a red pot:
{{gwi:69007}}

All of the following pics until otherwise indicated are detail close-ups from a "giant mini garden."
{{gwi:69008}}

{{gwi:69009}}

{{gwi:69010}}

{{gwi:69011}}

These tiny pots are smaller than a dime and have real LIVE plants in them!
{{gwi:69012}}

{{gwi:69013}}

{{gwi:69014}}

I hope my son didn't do this...
{{gwi:69015}}

The whole thing at once:
{{gwi:69016}}

A mini garden in a bird bath:
{{gwi:69018}}

Detail of birdbath garden:
{{gwi:69020}}

Another garden in a red pot:
{{gwi:69022}}

Will post pics when there's more (some) progress... Are you feeling inspired, enabled, enlightened, amazed? Check all 4 for me!

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 17:05

Comments (119)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pileas needed to be pinched a while back, but this one looks really good.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This is so simple, yet looks complete. Well done.

My only frustration is that this store doesn't sell all (or even most) of the plants in their mini gardens. WTH?

• pajc
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there! Here is my new mini garden - Route 66. Tell me what you think. I'll post better pics these days. Best wishes to all.

• pajc
    10 years ago

another pic....

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's really really great!! The crack in the pavement is my favorite part. I'm really impressed with your gardens, Pajc! I hope you will make more and share more pics with us!

I'm still working on the boxes for mine, painting this one that I'm keeping:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Testing the fabric/quilt thing on the bottom of this one for my Mom. As long as this dries well, with no compromise to the dyes in the fabrics, I'll "quilt" the outside of it later today. Yes, that's Elmer's glue, going to seal with polyurethane.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Purp?
    Did you use a masking technique cuz it sure looks like you did! lol

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Just want to say this is a big post. How big can it get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

DH drew lines with a plastic construction angle thing, I painted free-hand. I was going to do that on the sides too, but they're going to be a solid color. The stripes have taken forever and I probably would have saved time taping them off after all. It's not about the paint job though, just trying to account for why this is taking so long. Whining about the weather was getting old. Pajc would be finished with these by now! Smiles!

I was going to make DH's Mom's look like a beach, but now I'm tempted to steal Pajc's route 66 thing, it's really so cute! One of my son's toys that is otherwise broken has a little gas pump... would you be offended or appreciate the homage, Pajc?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

FREEHAND???

WOW Purp,..I'm impressed!!!

Sure got a steady hand there,girl! :)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

The Adromischus cristatus has enough character or is unique enough to be in a mini garden pot of it's own.

Yours is three, four even five years from being a contender for the unpublished headlines of Plant Talk of the Week Magazine.

If this was a trick question to see how you could best match it up with same watering and sun plants.

I don't think anyone would be upset if you already have plans to use it as a compliment during the waiting time with any Crassula you already have.

• pajc
    10 years ago

No I wouldn't be offended, not at all purple. Just go on, I'm glad to see my ideas spread. I just think it's more fun to make gas pump on your on, using clay for instance....
    By the way, I like your painted stuff, too.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Oooooh great idea!

Surely there must be some kind of clay that could be fired in a regular oven and then maybe painted with more craft paint.

If you made all(or at least most of)your "props" out of clay it would be unique and unlike anyone else's.

Creativity is just awesome and Purp is an inspiration! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I would like to find a clay that doesn't have to be fired, I can't get into getting a kiln. I really want to make tiny bricks in an easier way than cutting & painting styro-board though. Open to ideas! I'm not very experienced in crafty stuff & get really lost & confused at Hobby Lobby. Pajc, does the clay you use have to be fired in a kiln?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I was thinking that maybe you could carve a rough stamp of your bricks out of wood or something handy and then press it in the clay over and over to get a repeat pattern.

...Just a thought. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: a source of no-fire clay

• pajc
    10 years ago

Yep, I've made everything of clay, even the bricks, it's so easy if you are artistic, and it's regular school clay, I just dry it for a while in the oven, and than on air

• VGtar
    10 years ago

O.o WOW! you've been busy, Purple! -I still haven't come around to planting mine yet. -I've got some succulent cuttings, that have been left to dry. I might do it later today, and after I've potted my tomatoes and some other stuff for the balcony, and mixed some cactus soil.
    I began making a Mumin-house for Mumin-mama, but I'm not sure I'll finish it (mumin-mama is too big for it).

Original Author
    10 years ago

Vgtar, Google was no help, please tell me what Mumin-house and Mumin-mama are? Sending good vibes to your cuttings!

Pajc, thanks! Even if it's not one of these first that I make, I really want to make a route 66 garden. Will let DH decide if he thinks his Mom would prefer that or the beach scene I had in mind originally.

OK, I just need to ask for help at Hobby Lobby. I'm sure they would have some of this no-fire clay. Thanks for the info! The "if you're artistic" part is scary though, I'm pretty sure I'm not but I'll give it a shot anyway and y'all can lie and tell me it's great. I just "need" to make little bricks! Asleep, some kind of mold is a great idea, thanks.

Mr.Like, as you know, I kind of started asking about that on C&S forum, but got so many new plants, I'll have to do it again very soon to make sure I put plants with similar needs together.

From your advice already, I'm thinking about planting firesticks Euphorbia with the Stapelia. Neither seem suited to these mini gardens. Do you think they would make a good team?

I found a blog yesterday where a lady had finished a table the same way I've imagined "quilting" my Mom's planter box. It's beautiful and inspiring. After dinner last night, I got one side of the box "quilted." There is some darkening of the fabrics, but I'm pretty sure that will even out when all is saturated/coated with polyurethane.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I want to do a mini garden with different varieties of Pilea candieri

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:31

• pajc
    10 years ago

maybe artistic isn't the right word, at least for the bricks :)
    for them, you just need to make clay "dough", roll it out, and then cut evenly little bricks (like in my first mini garden) with the knife, dry them, paint and protect with some waterproof varnish. that's the whole story.

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Caution: E firesitcks it's sap is very toxic It's the one Euphoria I look at from good distance to avoid
    My utmost honest: loose the FS peps can get sued for small intruders of unaware being home or not

Caution: Stapelia There are none, it's not realy people food either but when it flowers just take a wiff of it's bold colored flower while you adorn a nose plug does come to mind.

Other than that in a good sized pot I'd put fire in the middle for it's upright and stapelia on the edges for the drooping effect.

Utilizing Stapelia to determine watering by knowing the fire sticks can survive for at least two years with very little. In the right soil mix you would have a real hard time over watering a firesticks if you only intend to water a stapelia

Placing them out side for the growing season might be the challenge for you Firesticks can handle high heat in more direct sun where stapelia would be more sensitive. If you have a place for stapelia the fire-stick would still do well there too.
    If to grow in a bed Fire-sticks would be up front on brightest side the stapelia on the less bright side inner corner mid way to front or rear

• pajc
    10 years ago

maybe artistic isn't the right word, at least for the bricks :)
    for them, you just need to make clay "dough", roll it out, and then cut evenly little bricks (like in my first mini garden) with the knife, dry them, paint and protect with some waterproof varnish. that's the whole story.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Maybe the word we are looking for is "CRAFTY"...sounds all sinister,huh? :)

So Purp,..How'd that urethane take? Did it even out the dark spots?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes I've been accused of being crafty, but I don't think this kind of project is what my Mom meant when the teenage me received this accusation... ;)!

OK I feel like an idiot, there's a word for what I'm doing, decopage. Usually done with paper, but doing it with fabric is still decopage. Elmer's glue is probably the same stuff as modge podge, IDK.

Pajc, if I could move at the pace you've imagined I could, these would all be finished. It's very encouraging when there's a request for updates, though! Thanks for egging me on!

I've finished quilting the box below, as of yesterday, and like it so much, I'm going to do the other one like this (but with different fabrics,) instead of with sand. It's too bad the texture will be lost under the poly, it feels really cool.

The only problem I had was that one of the fabrics wanted to curl up, so I had to keep laying books on the finished parts while they dried, which made it take forever to dry, had to wait for a side to dry completely before turning the box to work another side.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that I have a little experience doing it, the 2nd box is going exponentially faster, a different color palette. Should finish today! I have every expectation of having them finished by Mother's Day, get lucky with it being the 12th this year.

BTW, the little plants are turning all kinds of pretty colors out in the sun, lots of cute little flower buds forming on many.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Putting these together today, the 2 smaller ones that will be Mother's Day presents. Will put up pics this evening or tomorrow. Here's a shot of the one box all finished. I've let them dry for a few days after putting on the polyurethane. It made the fabric colors a little darker, but it still feels like hard-as-a-rock fabric, it's pretty cool...

Original Author
    10 years ago

These are not finished but the plants are in, some with roots, some are cuttings. I couldn't help but put a few decorations to take a pic although I'll need to move them to put a top-dressing of pretty gravel on top, some of the plants are about invisible. Wanted to give it a few days to settle first, add more soil if it compacts at all.

Then I want to put a little rock border around the "grass" circles (Irish moss) and a little path leading to them, many more decorations. All of the plants are in there "naked," except the Irish moss. I left those in the pots so it will be easier to keep them in a circle. I did remove them from the pots and replace the lower half of the root balls with new soil.

{{gwi:69042}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Sweet!!

Was hoping to get a look at the finished(darker bc of varnish)version of the bluer one too. IMO,the darker versions are even nicer,I don't knowwwww...more pronounced,yaknow?

Really nice stuff Purp. You've got skills! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice of you to say, thanks! It looks nothing like the "professional" ones to me, but I think they will make the Moms happy. It's been great fun, usually there are parts of a project I'm just getting through, but aside from the fumes from the poly (yes, I did it outside on the front porch on a breezy day,) I've had great fun through the whole thing. I put that on with a pretty small foam brush, btw, and that went well, definitely cheap enough to toss. Poly doesn't wash off, of course, but skin too, so wear rubber gloves and old clothes.

Going to give the Moms each a cute little squirt bottle and tell they they're not allowed to water with anything else.

Gotten an inadvertent basic education in polyurethane because of this. Apparently that's a generic term, slightly more specific than the word "daisy" but not much. There are different kinds. The kind I got says not to put it over paint. So I've got to go back to the store for something else to waterproof the big one I painted. Also need something in a spray can to waterproof all of the little decorations I've painted... I'm not painting them with brushes again for that.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Seen your work before and although it's evident that you CAN and ARE capable(such a steady hand!),I can't really blame you if you want to be lazy about it...heaven knows "lazy" is something I know well. :)

BTW don't take that in a negative way...to me "lazy" is not without honor. LOL

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

purple-

Very cute, really love the tiny doggies (I'm a huge doggie person). I may have to put together a little one of my own of these fairy gardens...I've always loved these. Thanks for sharing, you are very talented!!

-Carmen

Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep, thanks again, and I agree! I have no respect for wasted efforts. For example, I don't own an iron. Anything that can't exit the dryer looking OK goes to charity. If I really like an item, I'll go to the trouble of spritzing it with a squirt bottle (plain water while on a hanger) which removes wrinkles from about any garment. Also works for those darn button plackets that want to fold up. Just has to be done by at least the night before so it has time to dry. My system is to do them before I put them away though.

Carmen, thanks! I raided my son's toy box for the dogs. He said it's OK to give them to Gramma. My mom's has the dogs, DH's Mom's has cats. The cats are from Barbie and Lego.

Original Author
    10 years ago

First of all, here's my first batch of tiny bricks. Had no idea Crayola makes an air-dry clay, they do.

{{gwi:69043}}

Here's the yellow mini garden:

{{gwi:69045}}

{{gwi:69047}}

{{gwi:69049}}

{{gwi:69051}}

The blue one:

{{gwi:69053}}

{{gwi:69055}}

{{gwi:69057}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

NICE BRICKS!!!

Good to see you're still at it, Purp!

Noticed you got a little thread started over in C&S too. Bet they'll love it too.

I can somehow see you doing massive landscapes for window exhibits. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Asleep! This did take forever, but I had no idea we'd have an extremely extended spring this year! Sheesh! And even finding something as mundane as a bag of aquarium gravel isn't easy around here.

The hardest part about making the bricks was finding something square and very shallow to mush the clay into. Then patience for waiting till the right dryness to cut them, then more waiting for dryness. (She said, having not tried to paint them yet...)

I'm wondering if I put them all in a ziplock baggie with paint, then shake it, if that would work...? Like shake'n'bake, but shake'n'paint.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

No harm in trying,..right?

Just mix up the color you like(I assume you are using an acrylic craft paint of some kind),thin it a little with just enough water so the bricks don't stick together too much,dump out on wax paper,then separate with toothpicks or old eating utensils. If the coat is too thin repeat as necessary....better to build up thin coats with repeated "shakes" than to wind up with a big glob of bricks glued together,right?

Hate to see how spraypaint would work...the little guys might blow away!

As for the clay and the(before painting)drying process,..I can't help wondering if it could be rushed just a little bit by letting them sit on a foil lined cookie sheet set on LOW heat in the oven...wonder if that's breaking the rules? I knew that air dry clay was available and all but honestly never played with the stuff before. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, I didn't even think about the spray paint blowing them away, I bet you're right! I was just thinking what a pain it would be to try to line them all up, then turn 1/4, then again, until all 4 sides were painted... then each end... Your ideas for shake'n'paint are very helpful, sound very practical, thanks! Hopefully I can find a suitable color ready-made.

I admit, I've been rushing it a bit putting them by a tiny fan that lives in our bathroom. (I can't cool off after showering sometimes.) It's so humid here though, probably lucky they're drying at all. Soon it will be so humid we'll be saying things like "paint's coming undried" and "let me swim over to where you are," feeling we're treading water just standing outside...

This clay was (I thought) quite reasonably priced. $5 for 2.5 pounds. That one tray of bricks used maybe 10% of it. Also made some tiny hot dogs and hamburgers to put on a little grill that I have... not so sure about finding "hamburger" color paint...! LOL!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Burnt Umber might pass for burger color and if the burger has a nice burger texture to it maybe you could like barely touch the brush to the surface texture with black(to give the illusion of searing). :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what the finished products look like. Some of the rocks are geodes DH cracked open for me. The Moms were thrilled, I've got brownie points up the wazoo now!

The yellow one:

{{gwi:69059}}

{{gwi:69061}}

The blue one:

{{gwi:69063}}

{{gwi:69065}}

{{gwi:69067}}

Asleep, IKR! I already know I want the burgers to have grill marks on them. Going a little past my realm of abilities, but I might pull it off... will see! How do I know if I can paint hamburgers or not? I've never tried. Maybe I'll b really good at it. LOL! Also made some clay doughnuts and mushrooms...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Alternatively,..one might take a burger after the burnt umber coat is dry and lie it down on a surface(paper or something you don't mind throwing away) that has a thin coat of black and pressing lightly enough that only the outside texture of the burger gets black here and there. As to grill marks,those will likely have to be done by hand but a few stripes aren't gonna kill ya(after all I've seen what you're capable of already!). :)

• VGtar
    10 years ago

Well I gave up on my fairy garden, after I found out that moomin mama wouldn't need a ladder for cleaning the second story windows. I'm really amazed at nack you've got for this, Purple. Even if I'm not commenting every time, I really enjoy your pictures. Keep 'em coming!

For the bricks, you would have to make sure that you use a VERY thin paint if you go by the "shake'n'bake" method. Otherwise, I fear it would run down at the bottom while drying, in a way that would create a small tip on each brick. spray paint would be possible, as long as you keep a good distance to the bricks.
    Perhaps you could dry them on one of those plates, that little girls use for making pearl plates?
    -After they have dried you could "effect" paint them with a thin layer of slightly different colour pigment paint (not acrylics) on the sides that face out: put some thin paint on a flat surface (a lid or something) then dip a piece of sponge in the paint, then dap it on a piece of paper to get the worst excess off, and finally dab it onto the brick.
    You could also use this technique for the burgers. -For the illusion of searing, it's hard to get a brush that is thin enough... even a no 2 could easily make too fat chunks of paint, but perhaps if you take a string of hair, and strech it out between your fingers then dip it in:
    a: thin paint, and run it along the direction you want the line (still stretched out), or
    b: use a thicker paint, and remove some of the excess paint on a piece of paper, and run it along where you want the line on your burger (also with the hair still stretched out).
    Perhaps it could be done with cheese cutting wire, which is a bit thicker.
    I have yet to see a no 1 brush in an art supply store, but perhaps they would have it in a hobby supply store (I always wonder how people who paint tin soldiers makes those small dots for eyes).

VG

• VGtar
    10 years ago

Well, it may not count as a fairy garden as such, but Moomin mamma has made it to a pot once again... I think she's a brilliant gardener, and always ready to lend me a helping hand.
    {{gwi:69069}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pajc, LOVE it, cute!

Vgtar and Asleep, really appreciate the inputs, I did read them. There are some finished, painted clay projects, why can't I get around to taking pics yet?

I've totally neglected this whole genré of gardening the past month. The good news is that the plants like that. Sorry if it's boring here though. So hot out there now too, and I get 2-3 bites per minute any time of day, anywhere out there...

I don't know what's going on with this trough. It doesn't have a scene, but I did put plants in there yesterday. Some of them really need to recover from me leaving them in their bought pots of peat too long (then getting rained on.)

{{gwi:69071}}

There has been minor progress on this thing, but still no scene, no top dressing of pretty gravel. The rocks came from recent trip to OH. Should have gotten them wet before taking the pic, much prettier colors that way.

{{gwi:69073}}

Some of the plants that don't seem suited to mini gardens after looking at them for a while, added to hanging pot of Tradescantia sillamontana. Senecio rowleyanus, 2 Crassulas.

{{gwi:69075}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple....AWESOME!!!!!

Wow, you're extremely creative and you've selected beautiful succulents...

Fantastic job..Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

Added a few more plants, and finally got around to dressing with gravel. Now to arrange the "boulders" and finally make a scene, the good kind...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the above hasn't done much, nor have I done much to it. But I did paint the tiny bricks. DH said, "I guess they're dry now." Also made some tiny food, chocolate donuts & some grilled burgers. There's hope yet!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what the mini garden looked like at the beginning of November:

{{gwi:69078}}

Due to a couple unusually cold nights (14, 18,) there have been some losses, but most of the stuff still looks OK as of today (the plant hanger things keep the sheet raised above most of the plants):

{{gwi:69079}}

{{gwi:69081}}

{{gwi:69083}}

DH made me a new mini garden container with a clear lid. I'm not sure the lid is 'tall' enough, but that could easily be remedied if needed.

{{gwi:69085}}

{{gwi:69087}}

{{gwi:69089}}

Used the bricks seen above to make this road/sidewalk, not sure yet.

{{gwi:69091}}

More tiny brick, cut to a more uniform size.
    {{gwi:69092}}

And some headstones for a cemetery:
    {{gwi:69093}}

• Fleur
    10 years ago

Purple, is that Sculpy clay you're using? If not, what are you using and is it durable?

I'm so glad I finally found this forum. I'm just starting to collect things for my first garden and would like to make some bricks and other items.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Truly amazing purple, I am in AWE of your work !!!! I love all the mini gardens...
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY, Christine!

Fleur, it's Crayola air dry clay. I pressed it into a plastic square thing that was some kind of package. Line it with plastic wrap so it will come out. Cut the bricks when it's about half dry, I used a sharp, flat (not serrated) butcher knife (I think. The only other thing I use that knife for is watermelon 'cuz it's so long - and it has a chunk out of it from when I was cutting wooden dowel rods with it about 20 years ago - oops - LOL!) I did end up painting them with a brush, while watching TV. Took a couple 'rounds of painting to get all 6 sides covered but I'm better if my hands have something to do anyway, didn't seem like work. The little bottle of paint was $1 at WM. I'm not artistic, Fleur. If I can do it, anybody can. Please share some pics if you make some stuff!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area