Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini/fairy/dollhouse, honey I shrunk the garden!

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 11:19

...so you've got some tiny plants, and daggone they're cute. BUT what if you made a tiny garden scene with them? You'd have a mini garden. Put some little sprites or fairies and it's a fairy garden. Put it next to a dollhouse, or put a dollhouse IN it, and it's a dollhouse garden. Whatever style appeals to you, how cool is this for people who don't have a ton of space - or just need another niche addiction? Can't afford to visit a rain forest? Make a tiny one! Don't have a back yard? Make one in a pot!

Here are some pics from a great store I found that has a section devoted to tiny gardens/tiny plants. The individual plants are those I've acquired in the past week (so far) to prepare to attempt to create a couple of "honey I shrunk the gardens!"

A mini garden in a red pot:

All of the following pics until otherwise indicated are detail close-ups from a "giant mini garden."

These tiny pots are smaller than a dime and have real LIVE plants in them!

I hope my son didn't do this...

The whole thing at once:

A mini garden in a bird bath:

Detail of birdbath garden:

Another garden in a red pot:

Will post pics when there's more (some) progress... Are you feeling inspired, enabled, enlightened, amazed? Check all 4 for me!

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 17:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini/fairy/dollhouse, honey I shrunk the garden!

Purple, I'm 'almost' speechless! :)

What beautiful gardens. They're very very impressive, and yes, I feel inspired, enabled, enlightened and amazed. All of the above.

You might have mentioned how mini gardens are created, but if you did I didn't see the post. Please lead me to the thread or explain..when you have time.

Each garden is so pretty I can' choose a favorite.
The plants are super healthy, colorful, and mini statues add character. I like!

Is the Aralia, 'pic 1,' planted in the red container?

Can't wait to see your mini garden/s after it's finished. Toni

o

I'm really liking the cell phone free pics cant wait to see the Miniature/Dwarf Geraniums and the Dwarf Natal Plumb you picked up.

Inspired ? Certainly you are encouraging considering your approach you are in a good planning stage.

On your newly acquired plant list:
Lonicera fragrantissima: Earth grown it smells really nice and tends to be umbrella shaped at off sets from main branches to flowering.
It grows off of it's own roots much the same as a Forsythia but is more common to Honey Suckle by it's umbrella shape thinner spread. Pruning it often would give you thicker and more stable upright growth not the less string shape trunk which is something that you might want.
Yet if you want to wrap something like the mini tractor or the mini house with a thinner wire type branch then chances are good you wont need to prune as much.
Either way if you do prune cut the older, longer, unsightly growth all the way down to the soil line to promote newer fuller growth. You can also root the pruned ends for next seasons expanded miniature adventure as well.

o

Toni, I feel like I've been in "plant training" for this. Like it all makes sense now. Sounds like you're at least mentally scheming already too!

"Is the Aralia, 'pic 1,' planted in the red container?"
Yes!

As for how these are created... I was going to ask some questions of the lady who seemed like she owned the place yesterday, but she wasn't there. The medium seems to be black sand but I don't know if that's just a top-dressing or composes the whole volume of root area.

Before making this post, I was thinking out loud about it here.

"Miniature/Dwarf Geraniums and the Dwarf Natal Plumb you picked up." Thanks! But I'm so lost, I'm not sure which name refers to which pic. Googling didn't help... but I put the mystery plants on NTP, so should know at least genuses soon...

After I clicked submit, I double-checked and the Lonicera is nitida, not fragrantissima (then edited to correct but you probably read the first version.. AND thank goodness, how many fewer letters is THAT!?) But inadvertently, I've found a plant I want for the yard, so that rocks, and your pruning advice sounds like what I had imagined, so that's pretty cool too. We can't both be wrong!

Forgot to say above, I also discovered there are mini bricks, and one can make mini buildings or paths or little garden walls with them... I actually dreamed about tiny gardens last night.

o

Purple....email me! I know that I have some miniature supplies you can have. I'd love to donate to your 'dream '.

o

"Miniature/Dwarf Geraniums and the Dwarf Natal Plumb you picked up.
Ohh my !!!! sorry bout that didn't intend to confuse you confuse you
They're the plants you didn't pick up or dont have yet but I did want to mention a couple more inspiring items for your mini garden.
After thought it's not in full flower yet but thinks it's best to post a pic when it is in flowering regarding mystery plants #1 or #2 post for an ID for both in GW cacti and succulent forum if you could... look for Rose (the crowned queen of GW's succulent ID) to respond

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 21:07

o

purple-

I love fairy gardens, I've always wanted to try one, but I'm not sure how you water one when you add different types of plants, like succulents would need less water then other plants that like more water(unless you do one with all succulents, but then that would be boring to me)... I really like the look with different kinds of plants, so I'm scared I would kill it off too fast and before I know it I'll have a fairy garden that looks like it was hit by a forest fire.... You'll have to let me know the secret if there is one...also one of the nurseries by me has a nice selection in fairy garden stuff, but it is VERY expensive, they want something like $30 or more for just one of the fairies....just too much for me to go that way...but I will look forward to seeing how you do your fairy garden!!

-FPT

o

Thanks for the clarification, Mike, and ID suggestions!

FPT, I don't plan to spend much except on plants, mini bricks, (and will insist on paying the postage or sending something that would be desired in return for Rhizo's most generous and thoughtful offer above.) Some of the cutest little gardens only have 2-3 different plants in them.

Talking about this last night, my son asked if we could make a jungle garden for his little dinosaurs. I think a pack of about 25 of those costs about $2 if you don't happen to have a flock or herd of them around the house already. I think it would be awesome, even if some of the dinos are pink and blue, yellow. Hahaha! Who wouldn't get a kick out of seeing a tiny prehistoric jungle? So I guess there will be 3 gardens...

If I can keep Sans and jade doing well in a great-drainage mix, why shouldn't these other plants also? Especially since it will only be 2-3" deep. All plants get watered every day or every-other day while outside unless very recently repotted, although for a while at first, I don't see a tiny garden drying that fast. A lot of the stuff won't even have roots initially. The plants I got I consider mama plants, from which I will propagate, then plant the mama plants as well as trimmings. I hope to strike a good balance between "finished looking" while still having plenty of room for growth, adding an occasional new thing I might find.

Maybe I'm making a wrong assumption, but I have every confidence in mixing Pilea, Crassula, Sedum, Selaginella, Kalanchoe, Coleus, Lonicera, anything with agreeable sun requirements and naturally small leaves, or my ability to manipulate so. And I intend to have moss also. Brazen, I know! (That's the only idea I'm not totally confident about, plant-wise.) There's a myriad of mosses, if the first one doesn't work, I'll try another.

Fast-growth isn't really a goal of a tiny garden, even if they are all full sun plants, the garden(s) will have to be more sheltered than that, so growth should be slower. I think getting rained on would mess it up, so will definitely be under the porch roof, and away from the edge. I think drops of water bigger than mist would mess up sand paths or other small details, and will have items in there that I don't want to drench, so plan to use a squirt bottle, at least at first. As the plants settle in, there will probably be spots where a small, gentle stream of water can be applied without causing a washout. As long as it drains well and gets a reasonable amount of sun, I don't anticipate any problems.

All of the above has been based on the assumption that all plants will be let loose in the outer garden container. Two years down the road, that could cause the whole thing to need to be repotted. But all or certain plants could actually be in tiny pots, then included in the garden. This might be preferable anyway, at least for creeping, clumping type plants. Filling the container with enough gravel to hold pots in place, then covering with various surface materials, is probably a better long-term plan. It would also add weight, which is always important to me outside, plants have to stay put in 50 mph gusts. This separate-pots plan would also allow easy edits to the design/placement, and the tiny restrictions on roots would help keep things small/as slow-growing as possible while still being healthy.

o

mrlikeu2 - the Lonicera Purple has is L nitida, not L fragrantissima. The latter is a very large, hardy, outdoor shrub with rough deciduous leaves up to 5 inches long and fragrant winter flowers and is totally unsuitable for a miniature garden.

Although L nitida has the right scale leaf it too is a hardy outdoor shrub and it would not be happy inside. It is definitely not a tropical plant. It can be kept tight clipped but if you don't keep on top of it it has the potential to grow up to 4 feet high and wide, depending on the cultivar.

o

Hey, Flora, it's not Mike's fault. My original post incorrectly ID'd the Lonicera (which I edited) but he read the wrong version.

Appreciate the feedback on the vine! I don't intend to let any of it get woody, except a short trunk, will be trimming it to stay looking like a little tree, and may downsize its' current 3" pot when I put it in a mini garden. Most of the current growth will be trimmed to shape it like a tree. It also seems like it could be manipulated to look like a fountain-shaped shrub. It seems fairly popular when I researched its' suitability for bonsai, (and great-looking!!) which is a good gauge for potentially woody mini garden plants I think.

It's not a plant it and forget it venture, at least what I envision and will do, which is a constantly pick at the plants so they stay looking like they should thing.

o

Cool plants there Purple, quite the assortment!

Hi Toni,

As to your question in pic 1, I believe that is not an Aralia (w/ the lovely white edging) but rather a Dizzygotheca (elegantissima) aka 'False Aralia', confusing to be sure. Quite the handsome plant too (my variegate crazy self saw it & noted it for the future).

I know this plant 'cause my Mom used to keep a gorgeous one (bronze colored, another variety of it) in front of the fireplace in the home where we lived during my teens.

o

I think that's accurate, PG, thanks! I don't even look at those, I can kill one faster than anybody!

This mini garden thing might be right up your alley since I know space is a premium in an apartment.

o

Hi again Purple - by 'vine' do you mean Lonicera nitida? If so it isn't a vine but a twiggy shrub. It will sprout quickly when trimmed so is quite easy to keep bushy but it does grow fast. And it is an outdoor plant. I really am not sanguine about its chances of survival in a 3 inch pot unless you are prepared to really bonsai it with root pruning and all. We grow it as hedges over here.

o

Very cute! That also looks like something fun for little imaginations (as well as my own lol).

o

I LOVE the idea of a mini dinosaur jungle. Please post pictures of that one--well, of each of the three--when it comes together.

There's an Oxalis, maybe more than one, that looks like mini palm trees. I can't remember which one it is, unfortunately, but I know I've seen it a few times, listed by sellers of tropical/summer bulbs.

My local garden center sells hanging glass "globes." (That's what they look like to me.) THey're clear, hollow glass balls with an opening in one side. I can imagine a tiny world (or two or three) hanging in the window, but I've resisted so far because I'm trying to grow larger plants right now. Very appealing idea, though. Purple, yours are going to be fantastic.

Amanda

o

Thanks for the inputs and votes of confidence!

Flora, yes, I'm going to be picking at this daily. If it's not really a vine (and thanks for telling me that,) it should look like one in a mini world though. If not, I'll find a place for it along the fence in the regular size landscape.

Amanda, I happen to have some mini palm trees, at least for a few years until they don't look mini anymore, baby Chamaedorea elegans. GMTA! Looks like one (adult plant) might be making seeds, so might be another crop soon, although I didn't grow the pot of babies. I rescued that from my Mom's house.

I saw those globes with Tillandsia in them at a WM. The idea of an extra tiny world in one is extra cute!

I'll definitely post pics, just waiting to declare an end to winter. If it's possible to end something that never really happened anyway. Guess I'm waiting for the threat of winter to be over. Sorry that's not the case for those up north, especially this weekend!!

o

• Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 14:11

Purple, I love the plants that you have chosen for your garden. My favorite one is the one with the pink edges.

I was is Hobby Lobby the other day and saw lots of fairy garden miniatures, like benches, birdhouses, fairies, etc. They were reasonably priced ($4-$10) and with one of their 40% off coupons, the price would be even better. My local Smiths Marketplace also had a kit for fairy gardens that had a statue (gnome or fairy) and the garden furniture. They were on clearance. So, what I am saying is that if you look around, you may find some pieces to add to your garden that are not so high priced.

My daughter did a small fairy garden outside last summer. She has made things out of clay to add to it. They were cute, inexpensive and added a personal touch. I think the idea of a jungle for your son's dinosaurs is great!

o

Thanks for the ideas & encouragement, Val! I noticed that if we hit Toys'R'Us on the way home from the garden center, there's a HL AND a Michael's within eyesight. Prefer mom'n'pops but no such options for a few itty bitties, AFAIK. Had thoughts about popsicle sticks too.

Did you take a pic of your D's garden? Would love to see if you did, or anyone else who has a pic, please feel free to share.

o

• Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 21:54

Purple, I did not take a picture of my daughters little garden. It was mainly done with moss and glass pebbles. She used to leave the garden fairies surprises in our yard. That is when she made the clay items, little cups and plates. The fairies in return left her surprises too. The dollar stores sometimes have little fairy figurines and that is where we got the glass pebbles. I plan to get her a few of the fairy items if she wants to do another one this year. I used some of the glass pebbles along with hens and chicks and turned an old birdbath into a nice planter. I posted a picture on the perennial forum in January.

o

Yesterday was an awesome "mini day!" Received some excellent plants in trade, and another visit to the garden store. Wow that place is happening, I can tell a difference every visit so far, and they assured me yesterday "nothing's really going on yet this year." The owner was planting tiny plants in tiny purses, and there were more mini gardens on display. Wasn't expecting that, no camera.

Also went to Hobby Lobby and got, among other things, some wire to make "wrought iron" furniture and other things. Peperomia prostrata:

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 17:06

o

Those are absolutely amazing! I wish I had stores in my area where I could find a selection of mini-plants.

What is the giant mini garden planted in? It looks like marble over a table/drawer. How did you accomplish that as a planter?

o

Hi, SJ, glad you like the mini stuff! From what I can tell, that table's a metal box on top, so it's as deep as that top part, about 3". You're right, it looks like marble in the pic. The completed mini gardens are not mine, they're at a store in Dothan, AL. I've been to a lot of garden centers/nurseries before (although not in the past few years) and never seen stuff like this either. Maybe it's a newly popular thing. Of course I felt it necessary to encourage and enable the ideas here. (Insert evil laugh!)

o

Look what DH made for me!! It's treated lumber, and he stapled screen in the bottom, which is treated plywood, drilled many holes.

It seems like if I fill this with 50 pounds of "soil," it's going to rot too soon. Of course it's not going to be sopping wet, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it inside so squirrels, storms, or whatever don't mess it up. I will be watering the plants with a squirt bottle because they are mostly succulents, tiny ones, and "regular size" drops of water will mess up the details when I get it all together.

I'm at a loss of how to proceed from here... what would you do? Any input welcome!

o

Looking good for the planter ( Box) would work for a couple seasons or more I'm not sure about the legs and elements if outside, over all very nice I'm sure your aware of drainage

It's mostly illusion play with it and have fun take time and enjoy it I'm sure you'll get the idea NO thats not right at all I know you'll do great.
Walk up steps:
Starting lower filling in and building up for height better known to me as place and play.

photo 007-5_zps79638523.jpg

keep misting slightly moist so it wont collapse during building or collapse later

photo 007-5_zps79638523.jpg

photo 004-5_zps44cf2d52.jpg

Just some doo dads from the big box store tile dept not to difficult to free the tiles from the net backings a razor knife to scrape the glue free Before finished some of it will be out and replaced with a more natural looking scrape tile .

I get better from an area kitchen counter shop granite and marble worth a look I figure nothing that great for scrape stuff behind the shop but no cleaning just more easy freebies.

photo 008-3_zpsbd17ec43.jpg

While working it upwards don't be shy to change things in and out keeping it clean and use the other end to pack the soil in

photo 010-2_zps165ba955.jpg

Shows more added height for a committed plant.

I've room for several more plants as well all will be succulent dictated by dish size . I build upward more when I pot the plant in... If you need more info on how to pot in I'd be more than happy to place a second plant in a pre staged ready area from pot to finish.

Other wood items in your pic maybe better stuff out there but oil based exterior paints or finishes and maybe crafting temp plates for exterior charm ect.... Krylon paint in spray cans to protect the metal items rustoleum if I spell it right blue painters tape for muti coloring or effects

Paints and stains: Color is color, sheen is the finish ranging from duller flat to high gloss If you paint and want to tone up the finer details aim two sheen higher than the base color finish for a noticeable but easy on the eye effect.
( Example for sheen: Brown Satin to Golden Yellow Semi gloss) Not sure if you'll find colors and desired finishes in car model kit sized bottles paint crackling and other effects are available

o

• Posted by pajc none (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 18:35

Hi everyone,
this is what I made today. That 's my first mini garden. I used clay accessories I made myself. I'd like your opinion guys. By the way, I liked your gardens very much.

o

purple, i have this great book with projects and all know how that might be of interest to you - look it up on amazon, you can see inside for text and some pics. it has info on tools and techniques.
Creating Bonsai Landscapes: 18 Miniature Garden Projects by Su Chin Ee.
here's a sample pic

o

Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 19:02

More pics...

o

Pajc,
That's a very cute mini garden, thanks for sharing!

Planto

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 2:42

Thanks plantomaniac, I appreciate it. I'l like to see more of mini gardens here in the future. Let's share ideas!

o

Pajc, I like the way you combined the textures and scales of the different succulents. I agree, your garden is really cute.

Those are very cool stairs, Mrlike2u.

I have little personal experience, but I do have another book recommendation: _Gardening on Pavement, Tables and Hard Surfaces_ by George Schenk. I found a lot of useful and inspiring ideas in this book (also in the same author's book on moss gardening). I used them in outside gardening.

Love that Peperomia prostrata, Purple, and the table, too.

Amanda

o

These pics and suggestions are AWESOME! Very impressive. Thanks so much for sharing! Love the links and Mike's idea of tile discards. Packs of them are ridiculously expensive at HL, no thanks.

One thing I did get that I didn't mention yet was a sheet of very thin modeling foam, doesn't shred when cut like styrofoam. I've been cutting it into little bricks, which will need to be painted, this stuff's white. I'd like to make a little brick buildings, wall, path... no tiny bricks at HL and the ones I've found online are too expensive to be fun.

Pajc, is there any kind of lining in your box? I think a lot of our plants are the same.

Amanda, that little Pep is making miniscule spiky white flowers.

o

Purple, have you thought about trying the Pep. growing UP something, as well as along the ground?

Amanda

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:59

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:47

Thank you all for compliments. Purple, there is only sand at the bottom, and some of it mixed with soil in the middle of the box. My plants are crassula ovata, haworthia, aloe, Sempervivum tectorum, cactus, sedum...
Looking forward to see your work.

o

Pajc, Woooow, amazing!!!

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 5:27

Thanks :) I'm rearranging it a little bit, cause I got some new plants. When it's done I'll post a picture

o

Some of the stuff I've made the past few days. Upholstered "wrought iron" chairs - much better than the first one I made. DH hollowed the wine corks for mini pots. Bottom right is a wind chime, then a pendant I've never worn on a "shepherd hook." In the middle are rocks with holes for jewelry, but I never made any. Strung on florist wire, they hold their shape however I bend it, will make a good border along/around some little area w/o having to place each rock, then easy to move if I change my mind.

Amanda, I can't yet see how that little Pep. will progress, but have your ideas in mind, thanks.

Pajc, we do have a lot of the same plants. Should be getting started in a few weeks, no room to even think in here till the plants go OUT.

o

Purple-

I dont know if you have experience with peperomia prostrata but mine goes through stages where it looks great and grows awesome in the summer months, but in the winter monthes it looks sad, the flowers die and some of the beads turn yellow and fall off easily,here's a pic of mine in summer months with tons of flowers-

o

Interesting. This is my first time with this plant. Had no idea it made flowers. Thanks for the info. Do you have yours planted by itself?

o

yes, it was sold in a hanging basket, but I took the hanger off and just have it sitting on a shelf by the window on top of a plate so it can catch any falling beads/leafs. I can't wait for the summer months for when it gets more sun and grows nice again. Right now I water it about every 2-3 weeks, and in the summer I water it once weekly with superthrive, it seems to like that.

-FPT

o

Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 4:43

Hi there. I rearranged my mini garden a bit, put some new plants and accessories, hope you guys like it.

Purple, I'm keeping it inside till spring, there is no other way to preserve it.

I'm planning to sell gardens, since here in Serbia almost no one is making them.
I already have some ideas for new themes: little Italy, American middle west (Arizona desert with cacti, gas station, road in the middle of nowhere and route 66 sign :), then, mountain cottage, amazonian rainforest, park scenery, garden with similar chairs like yours purple...

o

Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 4:49

I forgot to mention Maldives theme. Imagine white sand, turquoise blue see, two palm trees and easy chair swinging between them, plus little slippers, sunglasses and cocktail besides, with little crab and shells all around...
Feel free to steal my ideas ;)

o

Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 5:07

I found these pics of mini gardens with Serbian country motives one woman here in Belgrade is making, They are adorable.
How can I upload multiple pics on this forum?

o

one more

This post was edited by pajc on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 5:10

o

one more

o

Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 5:12

and that's it

o

Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 5:06

is this forum still alive?

o

Yes I'm lurking it now and then, seeing whats going on for others and awaiting for April finish staging of mine.

o

Hey, Pajc, sorry for the delayed response. I absolutely LOVE what you're doing, every bit of it! Your theme ideas sound really cute, I'm sure other people would love them too, especially if done as well as what you've shown us so far. I think Sunday I will have the weather and time to do something productive regarding this mini gardening, if I'm not at the beach.

o

• Posted by vgtar z7 copenhagen (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 18:05

These are fun! -I've been known to put the occasional miniature moomintroll or astronaut in my pots, but never even thought of doing a whole scene. I need to make a lot of new cuttings, since most of my indoor plants died from a very aggressive fungus that came in with a store bought crassula, where almost everything (that I cared about) rotted right above the root. This way, I can keep all the cuttings in one place, and have something a bit more whimsical, than a row of boring plastic cups, while they all take root!
Thank you so much for the idea, Purpleinopp, I think Moominmamma will be happy again, now!!!

o

Hey Vgtar, good to hear from you. Glad you like the idea but I only wish I could take credit for it. I don't know who started fairy and mini gardens, but it looks like I'm not the only one in love with the concept. When you've had a chance to put something together, we would love to see it here!

o

Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 19:04

I'll do that, Purple! I see you are also on the Balcony forum, so I guess I'll see you around ;o) -I haven't been on Gardenweb for a couple of years, but it's nice to be back, and get inspiration, such as this.

o

They are GOREOUS!!!!! I have attemted only a cactus mini garden. It was fine until my mom"accidenly" nocked it out of the windowsill. She HATES cacti

o

Teen, good to hear you've dabbled in minis, sorry about the casualty. There are a TON of little succulents that aren't prickly. I don't have anything with thorns or prickles. Maybe that's what your Mom didn't like although I'm sure it was an accident. Keep your eyes open out there... and it doesn't have to be "finished" at first.

o

Hi folks, just found this thread and the pics are great. Purple, I was thinking about your dino garden for your son. I saw a pic on pinterest where they had found tiny LED lights at radio shack that they turned on at night for her. It was really cute and you could make it kind of eerie in a rain forest. I just did my first Mini garden, had intended a fairy garden and it turned into two gardens, a zen garden with a bonsai and a desert garden with succulents that has a tiny birdhouse so far. I'll try to get some pics up. I love seeing everyone's stuff.

o

Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:30

yeah nebraska, show us some stuff, finally somebody

o

Some of the plants I've collected since the last batch I showed...

Stapelia:

Haworthia:

Haworthia:

I forget his name:

Haworthia fasciata:

Crassula tetragona:

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 17:08

o

Haworthia retusa:

Adromischus cristatus 'Key Lime Pie':

Got polyurethane to cover/seal these planters after I decorate them...

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 17:10

o

Ohhh I kind of see what your doing now. Will you be dismantling most or all the plants from all the mini gardens at seasons end ?
Air flow reminder for your wood planters a preference for me, I wouldn't use polyurethane at all. I can understand why you may want to use it as well, If you want to apply it first let it dry for a couple days before you plant and decorate.

o

Hey, MrLike. Without the poly coating, I think these would just grow mold/mildew too easily. It's a constant battle here and I'm still trying to understand it/get used to it/stay ahead of this scourge.

I think some of these plants will outgrow the mini landscape faster than others. I know nothing about almost all of these plants except that they don't like to be moist. When something gets too big, I'll lift it and replace with something smaller. No intentions to dismantle anything until the planters disintegrate though.

These little pots have more than one plant in most, so I will separate them to share between the 3 gardens.

I've been trying to come up with a way to decorate the wood boxes and I can't draw, so painting or drawing something is out. My Mom is a quilter, so I'm going to use fabric squares to "upholster" hers. With enough coats of poly, it should look nice for 2-3 years.

I think I will coat the one for DH's Mom in sand, poly over it until smooth. Having more trouble picturing this in my mind. Probably need to do a small piece of wood first to see if I like it.

I also got some pots of Irish moss at WM (where I got all of these latest tiny plants,) if anyone's looking for "grass." Going to that garden center with the mini gardens again tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they have, it's been about a month since I was there last.

Here's the one I'm going to "quilt" for my Mom...

o

A bit late in season to mention but have you considered hyper tufa containers ? There are several online recipes with instructions to make. I make one or two every year, a bit heavy but they make great holiday gifts for the plant fans. Also easy and fun to do knowing the garden shop prices for them are outrageous.

The main concern from me and poly is drainage and air circulation which would also be an equal concern for your quilting idea.

Noted you've been looking closer at the plant information of what it looks like when grown
If I may could I ask you to group them prior to final planting Example sort all the Haws with haws crassuals with crassula for your viewing in a pre -staged look

Your Stapelia: is a cacti and the only cacti you have in this series of pics Easy to remember is All cacti are succulent but not all succulents are cacti.

It's a pleasure to assist you, I want you to be successful might be a good idea to get (with pic posted) suggestions from the other GW C&S area as well I'll be reading along and would chime in

o

Looks beautiful! Have to start a fairy garden soon, where to start?!

o

I appreciate your suggestions and info a TON, MrLike! Thank you! Something about 'tufa, I just don't like but I have looked into it.

Your objections to the quilted wooden planter are duly noted, yet I will proceed with this plan. Frustrating, isn't it?

When the planter(s) is (are) ready to be planted, I will be asking again about compatibility. Apparently I'm not finished collecting plants yet, but have been making notes on the info and suggestions so far.

Doing this with a basically unknown (to me) genre of plants was not my original intention, but obviously my original intention was not what I really wanted. Some of these will get too big too fast, and each planter needs to have plants of like water and sun preference. I only got plants I was really attracted to, so don't mind "the leftovers" as regular house plants. Some may be hardy here.

Delrey, basically you need container and plants that can play well together, inspiration for the scene.

The weather and trip this weekend probably equal little progress from me until late next week. (And will be busy cutting fabric into 300 tiny squares...) Anyone else is welcome to add pics, ask questions, make suggestions, tell me I'm crazy, all welcome. Smiles!

o

Not at all frustrating but will admit is different from what I would do.
One little idea from me is I think you really might want to grow your Adromischus cristatus in a pot of it's own.... (Chuckling as I type) Think about it you could impress friends while having convos about strange but interesting looking plants. They'll no longer think your a crazy plant person but will know you are or ask how did you do that. LOL.
You have a good week enjoy your trip.

o

MrLike, would you put that in its' own pot just because it's so unusual, or because you think it's incompatible? I DO love weird plants!

Here are more mini gardens spotted while shopping yesterday. Hope they get everyone's creative juices flowing. Unfortunately, I only found one new mini plant yesterday.

o

I'm not sure about using Hypoestes... Wonder what the small plant on the left is?

o

The big main mini garden has been re-done, or someone bought the other one.

o

cute with the aralia thing.

o

Wow Purple those look beautiful, do you know what kind of light those would require? Also inspirational, im already anxious to get started on one!

o

The Pilea in the middle is the star of this show, IMO.

o

Sorry these aren't terribly clear, using my phone. I LOVE this one especially.

o

Pileas needed to be pinched a while back, but this one looks really good.

o

This is so simple, yet looks complete. Well done.

My only frustration is that this store doesn't sell all (or even most) of the plants in their mini gardens. WTH?

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 19:21

Hi there! Here is my new mini garden - Route 66. Tell me what you think. I'll post better pics these days. Best wishes to all.

o

Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:10

another pic....

o

That's really really great!! The crack in the pavement is my favorite part. I'm really impressed with your gardens, Pajc! I hope you will make more and share more pics with us!

I'm still working on the boxes for mine, painting this one that I'm keeping:

o

Testing the fabric/quilt thing on the bottom of this one for my Mom. As long as this dries well, with no compromise to the dyes in the fabrics, I'll "quilt" the outside of it later today. Yes, that's Elmer's glue, going to seal with polyurethane.

o

Purp?
Did you use a masking technique cuz it sure looks like you did! lol

o

Just want to say this is a big post. How big can it get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

DH drew lines with a plastic construction angle thing, I painted free-hand. I was going to do that on the sides too, but they're going to be a solid color. The stripes have taken forever and I probably would have saved time taping them off after all. It's not about the paint job though, just trying to account for why this is taking so long. Whining about the weather was getting old. Pajc would be finished with these by now! Smiles!

I was going to make DH's Mom's look like a beach, but now I'm tempted to steal Pajc's route 66 thing, it's really so cute! One of my son's toys that is otherwise broken has a little gas pump... would you be offended or appreciate the homage, Pajc?

o

FREEHAND???

WOW Purp,..I'm impressed!!!

Sure got a steady hand there,girl! :)

o

The Adromischus cristatus has enough character or is unique enough to be in a mini garden pot of it's own.

Yours is three, four even five years from being a contender for the unpublished headlines of Plant Talk of the Week Magazine.

If this was a trick question to see how you could best match it up with same watering and sun plants.

I don't think anyone would be upset if you already have plans to use it as a compliment during the waiting time with any Crassula you already have.

o

Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 15:54

No I wouldn't be offended, not at all purple. Just go on, I'm glad to see my ideas spread. I just think it's more fun to make gas pump on your on, using clay for instance....
By the way, I like your painted stuff, too.

o

Oooooh great idea!

Surely there must be some kind of clay that could be fired in a regular oven and then maybe painted with more craft paint.

If you made all(or at least most of)your "props" out of clay it would be unique and unlike anyone else's.

Creativity is just awesome and Purp is an inspiration! :)

o

I would like to find a clay that doesn't have to be fired, I can't get into getting a kiln. I really want to make tiny bricks in an easier way than cutting & painting styro-board though. Open to ideas! I'm not very experienced in crafty stuff & get really lost & confused at Hobby Lobby. Pajc, does the clay you use have to be fired in a kiln?

o

I was thinking that maybe you could carve a rough stamp of your bricks out of wood or something handy and then press it in the clay over and over to get a repeat pattern.

...Just a thought. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: a source of no-fire clay

o

Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 19:10

Yep, I've made everything of clay, even the bricks, it's so easy if you are artistic, and it's regular school clay, I just dry it for a while in the oven, and than on air

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 4:22

O.o WOW! you've been busy, Purple! -I still haven't come around to planting mine yet. -I've got some succulent cuttings, that have been left to dry. I might do it later today, and after I've potted my tomatoes and some other stuff for the balcony, and mixed some cactus soil.
I began making a Mumin-house for Mumin-mama, but I'm not sure I'll finish it (mumin-mama is too big for it).

o

Vgtar, Google was no help, please tell me what Mumin-house and Mumin-mama are? Sending good vibes to your cuttings!

Pajc, thanks! Even if it's not one of these first that I make, I really want to make a route 66 garden. Will let DH decide if he thinks his Mom would prefer that or the beach scene I had in mind originally.

OK, I just need to ask for help at Hobby Lobby. I'm sure they would have some of this no-fire clay. Thanks for the info! The "if you're artistic" part is scary though, I'm pretty sure I'm not but I'll give it a shot anyway and y'all can lie and tell me it's great. I just "need" to make little bricks! Asleep, some kind of mold is a great idea, thanks.

Mr.Like, as you know, I kind of started asking about that on C&S forum, but got so many new plants, I'll have to do it again very soon to make sure I put plants with similar needs together.

From your advice already, I'm thinking about planting firesticks Euphorbia with the Stapelia. Neither seem suited to these mini gardens. Do you think they would make a good team?

I found a blog yesterday where a lady had finished a table the same way I've imagined "quilting" my Mom's planter box. It's beautiful and inspiring. After dinner last night, I got one side of the box "quilted." There is some darkening of the fabrics, but I'm pretty sure that will even out when all is saturated/coated with polyurethane.

o

I want to do a mini garden with different varieties of Pilea candieri

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:31

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:02

maybe artistic isn't the right word, at least for the bricks :)
for them, you just need to make clay "dough", roll it out, and then cut evenly little bricks (like in my first mini garden) with the knife, dry them, paint and protect with some waterproof varnish. that's the whole story.

o

Caution: E firesitcks it's sap is very toxic It's the one Euphoria I look at from good distance to avoid
My utmost honest: loose the FS peps can get sued for small intruders of unaware being home or not

Caution: Stapelia There are none, it's not realy people food either but when it flowers just take a wiff of it's bold colored flower while you adorn a nose plug does come to mind.

Other than that in a good sized pot I'd put fire in the middle for it's upright and stapelia on the edges for the drooping effect.

Utilizing Stapelia to determine watering by knowing the fire sticks can survive for at least two years with very little. In the right soil mix you would have a real hard time over watering a firesticks if you only intend to water a stapelia

Placing them out side for the growing season might be the challenge for you Firesticks can handle high heat in more direct sun where stapelia would be more sensitive. If you have a place for stapelia the fire-stick would still do well there too.
If to grow in a bed Fire-sticks would be up front on brightest side the stapelia on the less bright side inner corner mid way to front or rear

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:07

maybe artistic isn't the right word, at least for the bricks :)
for them, you just need to make clay "dough", roll it out, and then cut evenly little bricks (like in my first mini garden) with the knife, dry them, paint and protect with some waterproof varnish. that's the whole story.

o

Maybe the word we are looking for is "CRAFTY"...sounds all sinister,huh? :)

So Purp,..How'd that urethane take? Did it even out the dark spots?

o

Oh yes I've been accused of being crafty, but I don't think this kind of project is what my Mom meant when the teenage me received this accusation... ;)!

OK I feel like an idiot, there's a word for what I'm doing, decopage. Usually done with paper, but doing it with fabric is still decopage. Elmer's glue is probably the same stuff as modge podge, IDK.

Pajc, if I could move at the pace you've imagined I could, these would all be finished. It's very encouraging when there's a request for updates, though! Thanks for egging me on!

I've finished quilting the box below, as of yesterday, and like it so much, I'm going to do the other one like this (but with different fabrics,) instead of with sand. It's too bad the texture will be lost under the poly, it feels really cool.

The only problem I had was that one of the fabrics wanted to curl up, so I had to keep laying books on the finished parts while they dried, which made it take forever to dry, had to wait for a side to dry completely before turning the box to work another side.

o

Now that I have a little experience doing it, the 2nd box is going exponentially faster, a different color palette. Should finish today! I have every expectation of having them finished by Mother's Day, get lucky with it being the 12th this year.

BTW, the little plants are turning all kinds of pretty colors out in the sun, lots of cute little flower buds forming on many.

o

Putting these together today, the 2 smaller ones that will be Mother's Day presents. Will put up pics this evening or tomorrow. Here's a shot of the one box all finished. I've let them dry for a few days after putting on the polyurethane. It made the fabric colors a little darker, but it still feels like hard-as-a-rock fabric, it's pretty cool...

o

These are not finished but the plants are in, some with roots, some are cuttings. I couldn't help but put a few decorations to take a pic although I'll need to move them to put a top-dressing of pretty gravel on top, some of the plants are about invisible. Wanted to give it a few days to settle first, add more soil if it compacts at all.

Then I want to put a little rock border around the "grass" circles (Irish moss) and a little path leading to them, many more decorations. All of the plants are in there "naked," except the Irish moss. I left those in the pots so it will be easier to keep them in a circle. I did remove them from the pots and replace the lower half of the root balls with new soil.

o

Sweet!!

Was hoping to get a look at the finished(darker bc of varnish)version of the bluer one too. IMO,the darker versions are even nicer,I don't knowwwww...more pronounced,yaknow?

Really nice stuff Purp. You've got skills! :)

o

Nice of you to say, thanks! It looks nothing like the "professional" ones to me, but I think they will make the Moms happy. It's been great fun, usually there are parts of a project I'm just getting through, but aside from the fumes from the poly (yes, I did it outside on the front porch on a breezy day,) I've had great fun through the whole thing. I put that on with a pretty small foam brush, btw, and that went well, definitely cheap enough to toss. Poly doesn't wash off, of course, but skin too, so wear rubber gloves and old clothes.

Going to give the Moms each a cute little squirt bottle and tell they they're not allowed to water with anything else.

Gotten an inadvertent basic education in polyurethane because of this. Apparently that's a generic term, slightly more specific than the word "daisy" but not much. There are different kinds. The kind I got says not to put it over paint. So I've got to go back to the store for something else to waterproof the big one I painted. Also need something in a spray can to waterproof all of the little decorations I've painted... I'm not painting them with brushes again for that.

o

Seen your work before and although it's evident that you CAN and ARE capable(such a steady hand!),I can't really blame you if you want to be lazy about it...heaven knows "lazy" is something I know well. :)

BTW don't take that in a negative way...to me "lazy" is not without honor. LOL

o

purple-

Very cute, really love the tiny doggies (I'm a huge doggie person). I may have to put together a little one of my own of these fairy gardens...I've always loved these. Thanks for sharing, you are very talented!!

-Carmen

o

Asleep, thanks again, and I agree! I have no respect for wasted efforts. For example, I don't own an iron. Anything that can't exit the dryer looking OK goes to charity. If I really like an item, I'll go to the trouble of spritzing it with a squirt bottle (plain water while on a hanger) which removes wrinkles from about any garment. Also works for those darn button plackets that want to fold up. Just has to be done by at least the night before so it has time to dry. My system is to do them before I put them away though.

Carmen, thanks! I raided my son's toy box for the dogs. He said it's OK to give them to Gramma. My mom's has the dogs, DH's Mom's has cats. The cats are from Barbie and Lego.

o

First of all, here's my first batch of tiny bricks. Had no idea Crayola makes an air-dry clay, they do.

Here's the yellow mini garden:

The blue one:

o

NICE BRICKS!!!

Good to see you're still at it, Purp!

Noticed you got a little thread started over in C&S too. Bet they'll love it too.

I can somehow see you doing massive landscapes for window exhibits. :)

o

Thanks, Asleep! This did take forever, but I had no idea we'd have an extremely extended spring this year! Sheesh! And even finding something as mundane as a bag of aquarium gravel isn't easy around here.

The hardest part about making the bricks was finding something square and very shallow to mush the clay into. Then patience for waiting till the right dryness to cut them, then more waiting for dryness. (She said, having not tried to paint them yet...)

I'm wondering if I put them all in a ziplock baggie with paint, then shake it, if that would work...? Like shake'n'bake, but shake'n'paint.

o

No harm in trying,..right?

Just mix up the color you like(I assume you are using an acrylic craft paint of some kind),thin it a little with just enough water so the bricks don't stick together too much,dump out on wax paper,then separate with toothpicks or old eating utensils. If the coat is too thin repeat as necessary....better to build up thin coats with repeated "shakes" than to wind up with a big glob of bricks glued together,right?

Hate to see how spraypaint would work...the little guys might blow away!

As for the clay and the(before painting)drying process,..I can't help wondering if it could be rushed just a little bit by letting them sit on a foil lined cookie sheet set on LOW heat in the oven...wonder if that's breaking the rules? I knew that air dry clay was available and all but honestly never played with the stuff before. :)

o

OMG, I didn't even think about the spray paint blowing them away, I bet you're right! I was just thinking what a pain it would be to try to line them all up, then turn 1/4, then again, until all 4 sides were painted... then each end... Your ideas for shake'n'paint are very helpful, sound very practical, thanks! Hopefully I can find a suitable color ready-made.

I admit, I've been rushing it a bit putting them by a tiny fan that lives in our bathroom. (I can't cool off after showering sometimes.) It's so humid here though, probably lucky they're drying at all. Soon it will be so humid we'll be saying things like "paint's coming undried" and "let me swim over to where you are," feeling we're treading water just standing outside...

This clay was (I thought) quite reasonably priced. $5 for 2.5 pounds. That one tray of bricks used maybe 10% of it. Also made some tiny hot dogs and hamburgers to put on a little grill that I have... not so sure about finding "hamburger" color paint...! LOL!

o

Burnt Umber might pass for burger color and if the burger has a nice burger texture to it maybe you could like barely touch the brush to the surface texture with black(to give the illusion of searing). :)

o

Here's what the finished products look like. Some of the rocks are geodes DH cracked open for me. The Moms were thrilled, I've got brownie points up the wazoo now!

The yellow one:

The blue one:

Asleep, IKR! I already know I want the burgers to have grill marks on them. Going a little past my realm of abilities, but I might pull it off... will see! How do I know if I can paint hamburgers or not? I've never tried. Maybe I'll b really good at it. LOL! Also made some clay doughnuts and mushrooms...

o

Alternatively,..one might take a burger after the burnt umber coat is dry and lie it down on a surface(paper or something you don't mind throwing away) that has a thin coat of black and pressing lightly enough that only the outside texture of the burger gets black here and there. As to grill marks,those will likely have to be done by hand but a few stripes aren't gonna kill ya(after all I've seen what you're capable of already!). :)

o

Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 5:12

Well I gave up on my fairy garden, after I found out that moomin mama wouldn't need a ladder for cleaning the second story windows. I'm really amazed at nack you've got for this, Purple. Even if I'm not commenting every time, I really enjoy your pictures. Keep 'em coming!

For the bricks, you would have to make sure that you use a VERY thin paint if you go by the "shake'n'bake" method. Otherwise, I fear it would run down at the bottom while drying, in a way that would create a small tip on each brick. spray paint would be possible, as long as you keep a good distance to the bricks.
Perhaps you could dry them on one of those plates, that little girls use for making pearl plates?
-After they have dried you could "effect" paint them with a thin layer of slightly different colour pigment paint (not acrylics) on the sides that face out: put some thin paint on a flat surface (a lid or something) then dip a piece of sponge in the paint, then dap it on a piece of paper to get the worst excess off, and finally dab it onto the brick.
You could also use this technique for the burgers. -For the illusion of searing, it's hard to get a brush that is thin enough... even a no 2 could easily make too fat chunks of paint, but perhaps if you take a string of hair, and strech it out between your fingers then dip it in:
a: thin paint, and run it along the direction you want the line (still stretched out), or
b: use a thicker paint, and remove some of the excess paint on a piece of paper, and run it along where you want the line on your burger (also with the hair still stretched out).
Perhaps it could be done with cheese cutting wire, which is a bit thicker.
I have yet to see a no 1 brush in an art supply store, but perhaps they would have it in a hobby supply store (I always wonder how people who paint tin soldiers makes those small dots for eyes).

VG

o

Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 14:04

Well, it may not count as a fairy garden as such, but Moomin mamma has made it to a pot once again... I think she's a brilliant gardener, and always ready to lend me a helping hand.
Mumminmamma

o

Pajc, LOVE it, cute!

Vgtar and Asleep, really appreciate the inputs, I did read them. There are some finished, painted clay projects, why can't I get around to taking pics yet?

I've totally neglected this whole genré of gardening the past month. The good news is that the plants like that. Sorry if it's boring here though. So hot out there now too, and I get 2-3 bites per minute any time of day, anywhere out there...

I don't know what's going on with this trough. It doesn't have a scene, but I did put plants in there yesterday. Some of them really need to recover from me leaving them in their bought pots of peat too long (then getting rained on.)

There has been minor progress on this thing, but still no scene, no top dressing of pretty gravel. The rocks came from recent trip to OH. Should have gotten them wet before taking the pic, much prettier colors that way.

Some of the plants that don't seem suited to mini gardens after looking at them for a while, added to hanging pot of Tradescantia sillamontana. Senecio rowleyanus, 2 Crassulas.

o

Purple....AWESOME!!!!!

Wow, you're extremely creative and you've selected beautiful succulents...

Fantastic job..Toni

o

Added a few more plants, and finally got around to dressing with gravel. Now to arrange the "boulders" and finally make a scene, the good kind...

o

Well the above hasn't done much, nor have I done much to it. But I did paint the tiny bricks. DH said, "I guess they're dry now." Also made some tiny food, chocolate donuts & some grilled burgers. There's hope yet!

o

Here's what the mini garden looked like at the beginning of November:

Due to a couple unusually cold nights (14, 18,) there have been some losses, but most of the stuff still looks OK as of today (the plant hanger things keep the sheet raised above most of the plants):

DH made me a new mini garden container with a clear lid. I'm not sure the lid is 'tall' enough, but that could easily be remedied if needed.

Used the bricks seen above to make this road/sidewalk, not sure yet.

More tiny brick, cut to a more uniform size.

And some headstones for a cemetery:

o

Purple, is that Sculpy clay you're using? If not, what are you using and is it durable?

I'm so glad I finally found this forum. I'm just starting to collect things for my first garden and would like to make some bricks and other items.

o

Truly amazing purple, I am in AWE of your work !!!! I love all the mini gardens...
Christine

o

TY, Christine!

Fleur, it's Crayola air dry clay. I pressed it into a plastic square thing that was some kind of package. Line it with plastic wrap so it will come out. Cut the bricks when it's about half dry, I used a sharp, flat (not serrated) butcher knife (I think. The only other thing I use that knife for is watermelon 'cuz it's so long - and it has a chunk out of it from when I was cutting wooden dowel rods with it about 20 years ago - oops - LOL!) I did end up painting them with a brush, while watching TV. Took a couple 'rounds of painting to get all 6 sides covered but I'm better if my hands have something to do anyway, didn't seem like work. The little bottle of paint was $1 at WM. I'm not artistic, Fleur. If I can do it, anybody can. Please share some pics if you make some stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here