Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade plant tiny black and white bugs

Posted by emmy18 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 11:28

Hello!

I recently went to water my Jade & when I did, I saw tiny bugs on the top. Sort of flea like and appear to jump. I've googled loads and come up with springtails which really seem the only possible one I could have given the nature of how they move around. (I've heard they're harmless too). A few leaves came off so I rooted them again in the pot just to see what would happen (as I've done this before and had new Jade's appear) but they died too. I thought the bugs could be killing the plant but the babies in the pot seem to be growing at a good rate (for this time of year anyway). I've tried to get a picture but it's near impossible to get them to keep still and due to their tiny size it's pointless.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. This was a gift and I've had it for quite a while so will be a shame to throw it out. (And I'm not used to repotting so I'm scared to)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade plant tiny black and white bugs

If it is springtails (sounds like it), they should be pretty harmless to your plant & everything else.

Best approach, with minimal effort, would be to maybe change your watering habits. If you haven't already been doing this, let the soil dry (at least one or two inches from the top) before watering it, and soak it throughout when you do. Just keep an eye on the plant to make sure it's not wilting, water it if it does.

I've been having similar issues with gnats (they like similar conditions as springtails) & cutting down on humidity has done wonders.

Definitely not worth repotting if it's only to get rid of springtails, but don't be intimidated by the process. When you do need to repot it, research (google) & make sure you're using the right type of soil. Then just watch one of many youtube videos of people repotting their plants and you should be more than ready.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here