Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonaskragebaer

show your prides! :)

jonaskragebaer
14 years ago

i thought it would be nice to have a thread where people could post a picture(s) of the plant they are most proud of.

Comments (101)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Bunny,
    your camera takes nice, crisp shots!
    Your plants are doing well in light of the sunless conditions! ;)

Jonas,
    thank you for posting your gnarly old C. arborescens! What great trunk texture and color.
    Now I know what I have to look forward to!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy and Josh!!!:-)!

Bunny girl, please do...Looking forward to seeing them too..

• yaslan
    14 years ago

My friend's kumquat bonsai

{{gwi:3734}}

Gardenia I just got from nursery. I am hoping its buds will not drop and flower instead

{{gwi:69270}}

I just love the smell of hyacinth

{{gwi:69272}}

This cost me $2.50.

{{gwi:69273}}

I love seeing everyone's plant pictures. It reminds me that spring is near. ( :

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very NICE yaslan!! Especially love the kumquat bonsai. I wanted to do a bonsai with a Calamondin, but haven't gotten around to it. Good luck with your gardenias, not the easiest plant but well worth the trouble.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi Yas...I can't wait to see the pics!

I can tell you that if ou do everything just right, you will not loose your gardenia buds. trhey may not open until spring, but they can definaetly hold on..:-)

As Pug said, goodluck with it. They can be very finicky, but still do well if happy..

Mike

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Josh - thanks! My camera was a Christmas gift from the hubby in 08. I'm not too knowledgable of cameras and it's got a bunch of numbers and stuff on the front. It's a Sony Cyber-shot, 7.2 mega pixels, 4x optical zoom, ISO 3200 (huh...) and it says full HD 1080...all I understand of that is it zooms and is a digital camera. =P

Sorry Mike, no pics today. Got home from work too late. Sun went down. I could take pics without the sun but they look so much better in my opinion with the sun. And that way you can see all the lovely snow outside too.

Yaslan - that Kumquat bonsai is just the cutest!! I just want to pinch it's leafy lil' cheeks!

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Fantastic and beautiful plants everyone!

Nothing really special here, just a few I like. Need more as soon as it gets warm!

Hoya linearis-

{{gwi:69274}}

Small hoya Finlaysonii-

{{gwi:69275}}

Angel-wing Begonia-

{{gwi:68809}}

Boston fern-

{{gwi:69276}}

Small variegated hoya obovata-

{{gwi:69277}}

Euphorbia tirucalli

{{gwi:69278}}

Billy Rae

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Nice pics of your plants greattigerdane. I love the snow outside your window. We don't get that much snow here, if any...

Thanks Everyone! Wow. I didn't know the buds could hold on til spring Mike. I was hoping they'd bloom sooner than that. But I don't mind as long as the buds don't drop and she blooms. ( : I love the kumquat bonsai too. She's a real beauty.

Keep the pics coming everyone! I love to see what treasures you all hold. ( :

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Greattigerdane!! MY GOODNESS!

You must love that room in the dead of winter!!

How in the world do you get a furn to grow that beautiful?I have always been afraid to try...Please share..;-)

Jane, I could also use a few of your beautiful orchards..I never tire out looking at those beauties!

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Thank you yaslan!

Today we had a "mini" snow storm that lasted about 15 min covering everything once again in white, You could hardly see the neighbor's house across the street!

{{gwi:69279}}

Taken a couple of weeks ago when we had a few inches of the white stuff.
    Our adopted dog "Kayla" was having a blast romping in the snow!

{{gwi:69280}}

{{gwi:69281}}

Here's another plant I meant to post.

Variegated Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum-

{{gwi:69282}}

Hi meyermike,

You should try one!Really no harder then a peace lily, if you have one of those.
    At first, the fern will lose a lot of fronds from the change of environment, many fronds drying and falling all over the place on and off for a few months, but, new smaller fronds will grow as it's losing the larger ones. So, if you can get past the mess until it's changed out all the fronds, you'll be on your way. Just keep it as close as you can to a window that gets indirect and/or dapple sun, (I water mine once a week) same with a smaller one I have.It will fair a bit better in a cooler room in the winter months vs a warmer one.

I bought this smaller boston fern for a buck at Lowe's a few yrs back, the poor thing was all but dried out dying on the sale table.
    Oh, I have add, I never mist them.

Sorry, it's a little dark.

{{gwi:69283}}

Billy Rae

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Billy Rae, your plants are amazing!! What a super cute dog! I think that is so cool that your dog loves the snow...somehow I can't see my Pug playing in it, he probably would have no clue what it was. He's def. a florida dog,lol...Thanks for the great pictures!

• cheerpeople
    14 years ago

Fun!
    Funny dog too.
    I decided to take 7 houseplant pics as silhouettes.
    Got a little valentines decor going on at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: silhouettes- plants

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

cheer, how cool!!!!

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I've always wanted to try a variegated PL (aren't they called Domino lilies or something?) but whenever I find them they're always already big plants. I only really like to start with plants that are smaller, usually 4in pots at the max.

And on a side note...my Euphorbia milii has FLOWER BUDS!!!! Thanks goodness no one was sleeping in my house this morning...I may have possibly screamed in delight...Fist time it's bloomed since I bought it!

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Thanks puglvr1!

Your plants are something, really beautiful! A burst of flowers and color every where! Everyone has some very handsome plant's here which are a real joy to look at:O)

Even though your pug might not want to romp in the snow. I'll bet you would still get a kick out of watching his reaction with such a very cute expressive mug, lol.

Cheer,

Nice silhouettes you posted!

bunnygurl,

Yes, they call the variegated peace lily Domino for some reason, not sure why though, no spots, lol.
    The difference The var lily wilts a lot easier, or faster when it starts to dry out a little too much, I mean, leaves down over the pot if it's not watered like every 5-6 days, especially in winter with the heat going, where as the green one just looks a little tired looking sometimes, slightly wilty if not watered again in time.

Euphorbia milii's are great plants, mine is flowering now too, not so much until a few weeks ago, it seems to need more light then it gets in winter to flower, even though it's right up close to the glass, Getting a little more sun now helps a lot.
    Congrats on yours flowering once again!

Billy Rae

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it sure is nice to see all these beautiful plants :)

Pug:
    that Adenium is amazing, how big is it? and how old :)
    im considering growing a Adenium myself, but i dont know if i should do it from a cutting or from seed, yours is grown from a cutting aint it?

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

It's great viewing everyone's plants..I'm sitting here, ooo'ing and aaa'ing..

BILLY.. where have you been hiding..I was just thinking about you a couple days ago..wondered if you desertedd GW..and here you are..hope you're okay.
    Your plants are doing great..and those Hoyas..What's the different between H. Linaris and H. Tirucalli? They are so, very interesting..Soon, when temps warm up, I'm going to hunt for both..They're so different.
    About your Spath, it's not Domino..I have Domino and the type you have..Can't recall if it was purchased at Glasshouse or Ebay..I'll look for its name. Domino is more spotty, whereas this other Spath has liney waves..or however once sees it..lol.
    As a matter of fact,, I prefer the unknown to Domino. Just my opinion..Oh, one other difference is yours is 5 times larger than mine..lol..mine was shipped as a small, bare-root division.

Bunny, what are you complaining about? Your plants are doing great..I'd like to see a closeup of your plants growing under lights, in the back ground..
    Because a plant isn't 20' tall doesn't mean it's not as nice..know what I mean?

Someone asked what is needed to get Crown of Thorns to bloom.. Sun or bright light.. My oldest COT's was given to me as a 7" cutting in 1982/3. E. Millii..Despite the time of year or light, it never stops blooming.
    E. Crown of Thorn, 'Thais,' have much larger flowers..1-2" and bigger..I find they need more sun to bloom. Proper watering is very important too. In winter, my Crowns get less water and no fert. My guy was over 4' tall..while outside, the wind knocked it down..the tops snapped off..now, instead of growing tall, it's growing wide..So, never set your Crown in a windy spot..lol..Seriously, the new growth pattern on mine is upsetting..Who wouldn't want a 9', upright plant that blooms year round?

Mike, I searched for Dracaena 'Goldianna'..As of today, the only person selling one is on Ebay..he lives in Malasia. I never ordered from this seller, but he's been selling on Ebay a while now, so you'd think he has decent plants. Because of your location, if you order, wait till spring. It's too cold. There's one other seller, 'the person I bought mine from,' who might get more in, but that won't happen until summer. He's not selling at the time, but I have his addy. I too want a second, so if you'd like, I can ask if/when he'll have more and cost. But I have to warn you..this Dracanea isn't cheap. It's a rare type, and sellers can get away with charging what they please. Although, the seller in Malaysia's plants are reasonable..20,00..he has two sizes.
    in fact, he has two left..lol..I think..that's what's posted..then there's shipping cost..it's approximately 21.00, give or take a few dollars..lol.

I love everyones plant pics..Great thread..Toni

• mooseling
    14 years ago

You all have such amazing plants. I hope that some day mine will look good enough to photograph. For now, they're all young, but perhaps in a year or two, they'll be looking half as good as yours.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Mooseling, the thread is show your prides..Size doesn't matter..if you have any plants you particularly like, please post.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Toni is so right.. This is about showing what you think is beauty in your plants....If you think you have one that you love, that you baby, that you are proud to have, post it...Just as much as it means something to you, I can bet it will mean something to us too..

Toni, thank you for looking up that plant for me..! I really really want one..Then you and I can have one....I am so afraid of ordering from that far, but if you can get them locally, please let me know...I owe you an e-mail!!!!

I have been so caught up taking care of mom, and working, and fixing the home..But I always seem to have time to look at my prides, and find just one moment to come here...

These pictures are so beautiful!!! I love coming to this thread..Thank you so much for all your participation and making this forum fun!

Mike..:-)

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Hey Toni!

I'm still around, mostly just been "reading" the post lately here on GW.You'll probably see me on more, especally as the weather warms (can't be soon enough!!!)

Do you have pictures of both your "variegated" and "domino" spaths/peace lilies so I can see the difference? I have always known this type to be called Domino.

Toni, you wrote... What's the different between H. Linaris and H. Tirucalli?

You probably just misread what I wrote, but there is no hoya tirucalli. I have "Euphorbia" tirucalli and hoya linearis, two different kinds of plants:O) I believe I had sent you a cutting once of E. tirucalli.

Here's one of a few variegated lilies I found on Google which looks like mine called Domino.Maybe because mine is a larger plant it shows less spotting???

Billy Rae

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:69175}}

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am fairly new to the forum here, and only have a few house plants, but am really enjoying seeing what everyone has and getting Ideas for the future. ;)

mooseling~~
    hopefulauthor and Mike are right!! Size does not make a plant special, so please do post yours! I would love to see them!

I do have 2 that are my Prides, my babies, and are beautiful! They mean the world to me because of why I have them and the person who sent them!

These are the start, of what now is a Priceless Friendship, and someday will be as beautiful as there mamma plant, and have a life long friendship attached.

"I can bet it will mean something to us too.. "
    I know one person here it will mean something to... ;)

Each set of leaves at the tips are new and they are growing good!

{{gwi:69284}}

JoJo

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Finally got around to taking a few more pics of some of my favorite plants.

This is my Dracaena marginata. It'll be 3 in September. It's in a 6in pot.
    {{gwi:69285}}

This is my Coffea arabica. It turned 1 this month. I'm proud of this one because when I bought it, it was just a couple inches tall, and it tripled it's size in just a year. I think it needs a bigger pot though as it's still in its original 4in pot.
    {{gwi:69286}}

And this is my Philodendron scandens. It'll be 2 in June and is in a 6in pot. I've had to trim it a couple times to keep it from getting scraggly.
    {{gwi:69287}}

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

its nice to see people posting pictures again :) this thread was getting a bit boring with all the chit chat.... just kidding :)
    just keep the pictures coming until spring :)

• zusya
    14 years ago

what a great thread. i could look at these photos all day... keep 'em coming!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Nice plants bunnygurl...I like your coffee plant. I had one that bloomed and gave me coffee beans, but I accidentally left it out in the freeze last year and died :o(

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Nice healthy plants bunnygurl! I love my heartleaf philo! I just moved it from a table to a hanging basket and now that the light is a bit lower, the leaves are growing a lot larger:)

Here's a few more plants...

Dracaena compacta-

{{gwi:69288}}

Philodendron-

{{gwi:69289}}

Next two pics, Gasteria pulchra flowering & close-up.

{{gwi:69290}}
    {{gwi:69291}}

A few ordinary spiders, no babies...

{{gwi:69292}}

{{gwi:69293}}

{{gwi:69295}}

{{gwi:69297}}

Haworthia with striped flowers-

{{gwi:69299}}

Billy Rae

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Mooseling,
    please post a couple of your prides here, will ya?
    Would you believe that a couple of my prides come from a few great people here, and my plants from these special people are no more than an inch or two high!
    Some from the very ones posting on this thread!

One came from a member who wishes to remain anonymous, whom has posted his mother plants on the cactus forums, in particular his unbelievably beautiful flowering jade, of which are breath taking!!!

Jojo, your babies are looking mighty happy!!:-)

Pug, I am so sorry you lost your coffee trees..Sheesh! I lost my coconut tree last winter when I forgot to bring it in. Only did I realize that I forgot too, when the first snow melted away to expose it's dead body..;-(

Billy, where in the world do you get your ability to grow such beauties..WOW..Did someone teach you, or is it just by luck?...Nice.

Bunnygirl, do you get a lot of sun? are these plants in lot's of sun? they are so nice to look at.

Yes, please keep the pictures coming. It is so good to see so many here succeeding and helping each other..

Thank you

Mike

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thought i would post a few more of my plants :)

Aloë vera var. chinensis. in may this plant will be 1 year old, it has grown really fast in just 9 months it has gone from a small plant only about 4 inches tall to this. the longest leave is 12.5 inches :)
    {{gwi:69301}}
    {{gwi:69303}}

Sophora prostrata. a funny little tree i picked up at a nursery half a year ago, the picture is a bit old and the plant has grown a bit since. :) (sorry for the bad picture)
    {{gwi:69304}}

Haworthia. not really sure what species, a small sucker i picked up in September last year, it took me more than 2 months to get them to root because i didnt get that many roots up with it when i plucked it. the pot is 3,5 inches wide, just wanted to let you know so you had some kind of idea of how big it is :)
    {{gwi:69305}}

Crassula multicava. i pulled out a few plants from a groundcover when i was in portugal last year in june,
    {{gwi:69306}}

this is my little jade "tree", its my babie :)
    {{gwi:69307}}

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Mike - I live in Alberta, Canada where the sun is more often than not hard to come by. The coffea is under artificial light, so that probably helps it out a bit, but the Dracaena and Philodendron are only in front of a North facing window.

Great plants everyone. That Sophora is an interesting lil' tree.

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Mike,

Thank you for such a nice compliment:O)

Yep, It's a little luck along with some trial and error, although not every plant cooperates and there are some that don't make it no matter what you do.
    I have learned to keep the pots small, use a good draining soil, good light, a little bit of fertilizer and only to water when needed:O)

Seeing all of these beautiful plants is making me just a little crazy, lol. I have an overwhelming need to go out and buy something green!
    Great job jona, and to everyone!

Billy Rae

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Billy, I already have! lol

In fact, I searched and searched for a fox tail fern and a Boson fern after seeing how beautiful they are here, and when I finally found a place that sold them, I rushed there to buy them just to see they were to dang huge to even fit in my home..Wow can they grow big..The worst part was that they were half off..Yes

I could of bought a Boston fern that must of been at least 3 feet wide with leaves about 4 feet long for 12:50!!! Oh how I hated to leave them there.

I did get a florescent philodendron and a beauty of a fern only about a foot wide, I can't wait till I learn how to put photo from my new Fiji camera to my new Mac computer..Arg

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Wow, the beauties just keep coming. . . nice photos everyone. With the wraths of winter holding on firm here in Montana, it's nice to see all the promise that we won't have to deal with this forever.

Giterdone, I love all of your spider plants. As you can see from my post earlier in this thread, I have a fondness for house plants, however. . . that is one plant I CANNOT grow. I don't know why either. I had one that was stunning when I bought it and soon after it had been in my care it started to decline so I gave it to my sis, she saved it and it is even prettier than it was when I bought it. But, me being the determined one, I took a small pup from it and so far it's growing good. We'll see, I'm not putting much stock into it.

Mike, LOL. . . I wouldn't say I live in a big beautiful house, but I do have the benefit of lots and lots of windows. I have huge picture windows in my livingroom, diningroom and master bedroom that get the morning (eastern exposure) and the afternoon (western exposure), a nice big skylight in my kitchen as well as a western window, and a skylight and northern window in my master bath for the shadier plants like african violets and such. I have only 1 southern window and it's in my guestroom, and I like to look at my plants more than I go in there so I don't use it for much except my holiday cacti when they require darkness before their bloom period. My office, where I spend most of my time also has an eastern exposure window so I keep most of my hoyas in there where I can see them all the time (my favorite house plant BTW) :)

Unfortunatley, I have two very rambunctious pugs and a very large rottweiler that have been known to *knock* the plants out of their way when they see a bunny or people outside. So, I have to be careful where/what I place in their paths. . . sigh. . .

Thanks again everyone for sharing. . .

Maid~

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Maid,Lol..I think Josh has a thing for "hoyas" too!

Have you seen the beauties he has..Stunning!
    I forgot to ask him if they flower yet. Do your's? How old do these plants have to be before they do?

All those windows..MY GOD. The kind of home I would love at every moment. I would never go out!

Speaking of winter.

IS THERE ANYONE HERE THAT LOST ELECTRICITY IN ALL THESE STORMS? What the heck does one do when their heat is out for days? Look what happened in Washington D.C. Some are still without electricity.

I can only imagine what a rottweiler does with plants in their path to any window, lol

Is it me, or does anyone else here sometimes have better luck keeping a houseplant happy rasing it as a child, than buying a mature one just to see it struggle? That may explain why your baby spider is doing well for you. I tend to buy small plants, then grow them to mature size..I seem to have better luck..Weird

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

Ahhh Mike, you beat to it already huh, lol. Lucky you!
    With this snow storm, it might be a while longer before I can get anything:O( I can imagine how nice that huge fern was that you saw, a real beauty I'll bet, but probably a little hard to manage. WOW!!!! 12.50, that's an incredibly insane price for such a large specimen! I would have been more then tempted, lol.
    At least you found another smaller one that should be a little easier to care for.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember reading one time that there are a bunch of different types of boston ferns, over 100??? Some growing really large while others stay smaller. The smaller ones seems to stay small (6" pot)
    The larger one had thick fronds down to the floor before it was given to me a few yrs back, now they are just 3' maybe some 4' and a lot thinner. The previous owner kept it right up to a very large north window (no curtains) and boy, what a monster it was! Here, it sits back a bit from the window, and I don't have the room to push it any closer to get it to grow larger and thicker like it was before. It is pretty heavy though, haven't weighed it yet, lol. It's growing in 13" ceramic vase/pot.
    I'd love to see your new fern and your new florescent philodendron some time:O)I treat both ferns like like peace liles.

Thanks Maid,

If spiders are not getting enough light, they can start to look bad, or under or overwatering too. When the leaves on mine start to look a little lighter in color, or some people would say, whiter, that's when I'll water them.

Good luck with your spider, I'm sure you will do just fine!

Billy Rae

14 years ago

Thanks for the continued picture posting! Keep posting!
    I wish I had more to share...

Mike, my Hoyas bloom every year... ;)
    I saw a variegated Hindu Rope at my local nursery the other day. A foot long, and $7.00 - I was nearly tempted to buy it.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

What, Josh, why didn't you? I bet you are running out of room too right? lol

By the way, I blame you Billy, Toni, and Maid for getting on a fox tail, ferny path!

I am still almost tempted to go out and get one, divide it up and share it, while it stays smaller for me...

Just as soon as I can figure my stupid camera out, I can share here..ARG!

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Mike,
    Where's the old camera.. It worked just fine..LOL! Use it till you get the new one figured.. He he...

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

It's not the camera. It is getting the pictures from the cartridge into my new Mac.
    I use to have a card slot and just download them into my old computer, now the Mac doesn't have that slot for the card. I think I have to buy some kind of device and stick the card in it, then stick that device into my mac..

It use to be easy,,,Arg..lol

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

I know sweetie,
    Just giving you a bad time, were anxious to see pics. You know me. :)

There's still parts of my new camera I can't figure out. And mine loads to the puter with a USB (I think that's what it's called) cable.

Maybe someone here will be able to give you pointers. Just as lost with the Mac, using a Dell. ;)

JoJo

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

By the way, I blame you Billy, Toni, and Maid for getting on a fox tail, ferny path!

Ahh ohh! Plants anonymous?

Billy Rae:)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

lololol

Billy, you got me laughing first thing this morning...

I have something for you.....E-mail me in private..mikerno_1@yahoo.com

Please keep the pics coming everyone..Love this thread first thing in the am.

By the way, where is toni, miss you!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

LOL, Billy Rae, "If spiders are not getting enough light, they can start to look bad, or under or overwatering too" maybe that's why I find them hard to grow. . . hmmmmmmmm. . . light and water, the two essential elements to growing plants. . . if only there was a majic wand :)

Maybe thats why this one is doing OK. It sets with my hoyas where it get bright morning sun. It was a lone survivor of 6-7 small pups, the others all died. This one was so tiny I never expected it to grow. I noticed the other day there is a very small shoot coming out of the soil that is soild green, the one I started was veriegated. I hope the solid one makes it, I prefer that one of the two.

Believe it or not, the rottweiler isn't as dangerous to the plants as the pugs are. . . but she has been known to spill a plant or two due to poor judgement. (thinking her very large body can fit in a space small enough for a pug)

Yes, I have seen pics of Josh's hoyas, some real beauties there. None of mine have bloomed for me yet. Most of them are from cuttings, so I'm afraid it will be awhile before I see any flowers.I bought one that was in bloom when I bought it, it has tried to bloom 3 times since I've had it, but for some reason they blast.

Mike, if it weren't for *infant* plants, I wouldn't have many plants at all. My first hoya (I didn't even know what it was at the time) I found a piece on the floor at Walmart. I brought it home, stuck it in some soil and when it got big enough to ID, I posted some pics here and found out I had a hoya. . . and the passion was born. Currently have approx 35 *infant* hoyas. So, yes I do like to start them myself. . . when/if these get to be full grown I'll have to charge them rent. . . lol :)

Maid~

• russ2009
    14 years ago

Some of the best plants I have left from the big freeze we had a few weeks ago. Most of my plants grow outside on the deck. I was away a few weeks ago and the temps stayed between 24 and 32 for 4 or 5 days. When I got home all I could see was dead plants. A few things are growing back from the roots but I lost so much. Not sure if I will start over again or not.I am in southeast texas and even today its so cold outside....only 39 at the moment.
    I have 5 different christmas cacti. They have been blooming from Nov - up to the present time. The paperwhites were given to me for christmas in a box set with bulbs. The Cymbidium is gorgeous with 5 spikes on it at present time. Only one blooms at a time tho.......as they grow at all different rates. Anyone know the name of this Cymbidium? Hope you have a great weekend. Russ

{{gwi:69308}}

{{gwi:69309}}

{{gwi:69310}}

14 years ago

Okay, I guess I found another....
    one of my more satisfying achievements.

When I pruned my Christmas Cactus, Mother's Day 2008, I was left with copious trimmings - including a semi-lignified stem. Since I'd heard that woody cuttings are more difficult to root, I figured I'd give it a try (with bonsai being foremost in my mind).

I did find that this cutting rooted more slowly than the others. However, it rooted well, and put out a few arms of new growth...but then it got snowed on (my fault), and all of the branches melted off - all but the segment immediately above the soil-line. I thought it was dead for sure, as the stem felt soft. Yet it sprang back from that single segment.

November 2009, the container began to fall apart. So I re-potted the little cutting, and set it in an east-south window. I exposed a bit more of the woody stem that had been buried beneath the soil. The pot shard is merely to hold the cutting in place, upright. I'll be removing the "arm" eventually, in favor of that congested top-growth. First pic is November 15th. And the re-potted pic is January 2nd, 2010.

{{gwi:69311}}

{{gwi:69312}}

• cr491
    13 years ago

I got this one in October of 09...it has really taken off recently.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/ABAsite/DSCN6235.jpg[/IMG]

The creeping fig was 50 cents at Lowe's in April. I cut it back a lot and removed the dead stuff, and it is responding!

The prayer plant and the pothos were both cuttings. I was worried about the prayer plant given its reputation for being a bit picky, but it's doing great. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it is flowering and has leaves growing from an aerial root! (And even though it looks dry, the soil is fine down below)

My other plants are doing well too, but these are definitely the best right now!

• cr491
    13 years ago

Apparently I didn't post the images right...

Arrowhead:
    {{gwi:69313}}

Creeping fig:
    {{gwi:69314}}

Pothos:
    {{gwi:69315}}

Prayer plant:
    {{gwi:69316}}

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Josh - congrats on the cutting! I didn't know you could bonsai this plant. When I hear bonsai I think of plants like Figs, Podocarpus, and Adeniums.

fr491 - nice Creeping Fig! I had one, but it didn't last long. It was requesting too much water from me and I kept forgetting.

13 years ago

Thanks, Bunny!
    You can bonsai pretty much any plant that develops woody tissue...
    Of course, some plants are better suited than others.
    A CC wants to droop, so a lot of pruning is necessarily to alleviate the weight of the
    foliage and to keep it upright.

Josh

• cliss
    13 years ago

New here, but still can't resist showing off a bit. :) As I said in another posting, I've recently decided to shift from "owning a few houseplants" to "raising more houseplants than I really have room for." I've tripled or quadrupled the number of plants I own over the past few months, and most of 'em are quite small... But I'm still quite pleased with some of the "original inspirations".

Starting off with my English Ivy. I killed two or three of these before I figured out the water and light needs. This one really took off, though! Now if I can just figure out if it's "Thorndale" or "Baltica"...

{{gwi:69317}}{{gwi:69318}}

My Aloe vera. It's been in the same soil for at least five years, so I should really re-pot it, maybe even pot it up... But I'm afraid I'll break the stem if I try, which would be such a shame...

{{gwi:69319}}
    {{gwi:69320}}

The pot I bought this one in was labeled "Variegated English Ivy". Recently realized that, no, it's Senecio macroglossus. I think, anyway. :)

{{gwi:69321}}

For years, I kept this next plant 4-5 feet away from west-facing or south-facing windows, and always assumed it was a heart-leaf philodendron, since the leaves always came in a matte green. Then I recently potted it up and moved it to a position a foot away from a south-facing window... And suddenly several leaves turned variegated, and new foliage started coming in bright, glossy, mottled green! Whoops, it's Pothos. Which meant, of course, that when I spotted a heart-leaf philodendron for $3 at Home Depot, I had to buy it. :) I'm going to trim it way back and give it a moss pole to climb, to see how bright it'll get now...

{{gwi:69322}}
    {{gwi:69323}}{{gwi:69324}}

I've only had this variegated spider plant for a couple of weeks, but it's too cute not to share, especially the tiny little variegated pup.

{{gwi:69325}}
    {{gwi:69326}}

-Corey