Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Ok everyone! What's blooming for you this month?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I thought we could all get off to a good start here today, this New Year's Day and share our photos of plants in bloom this month!
It's the dead of winter and God knows we could all use some cheering up. Pictures taken today except for one citrus.

I thought I would start and please share. The excitement runs much deeper here than my local area.

Orchids....Many to my surprise from one I saved last winter from an Orchid show and nurseries about to either toss them or rid them of half price. ALL are VERY fragrant.

{{gwi:69343}}

{{gwi:69344}}

{{gwi:69345}}

{{gwi:69346}}

{{gwi:69347}}

{{gwi:69348}}

A few Citrus

{{gwi:69349}}

{{gwi:69350}}

Citrus taken a couple of days ago.

{{gwi:69351}}

Gardenia, a small and a large

{{gwi:69353}}

{{gwi:69356}}

Please, let's see.......................--))))

Comments (30)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Those orchids are beautiful! Is the citrus tree a Meyer lemon? I received some ML seeds in trade and they have now started to germinate. Hope they look like yours some day. The scents there must be awesome!

• val1
    11 years ago

I love the orchids! The fifth one down is my favorite. I am sure that the fragrance from the citrus and gardenia are heavenly, especially on a cold, wintery day.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Val and Marric.

Orchids can be quite addicting, especially if they fill the air with sweetness in the middle of winter.

Yes Marric, the first one down is a Lemon Meyer always in bloom. I love this one.
    The best way to get flowers and fruit in a quick amount of time is to buy them as cuttings from mature trees or as grafted.

Here is another Orchid I wanted to share that is also in bloom now:-)
    This one has the deep rich chocolate fragrance. Love it.

{{gwi:69358}}

Mike

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Finally I get to see your orchids in bloom,Mike. Lovely, as usual.

Christopher

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Just the two poinsettias I forced this year.

{{gwi:69360}}

This one's pot is sitting on the floor...

{{gwi:69362}}

Yes, there are blooms among the bracts.

tj

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Blooming now inside:
    Maranta
    Coleus
    wax Begonias
    cane Begonias
    purple heart (Tradescantia pallida)
    parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans)

Just finished:
    Gynura (purple velvet)

Buds not quite ready yet:
    Callisia fragrans
    Easter cactus

Maybe:
    Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus)
    As usual when brought inside, it's defoliated but the weird little bloom stalks at the nodes have formed. Can't tell if they will complete their mission...

Outside, either here or at my Mom's:
    Gardenia
    Narcissus
    Pansy
    Azaleas
    wax Begonia
    Periwinkle (Vinca)
    knockout roses
    Camellia

Really enjoyed your pics, Mike! You make me want some of these "boring plain green" plants!

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 10:03

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

I have three african violets that are blooming - that's it.

Here's one
    {{gwi:69363}}

• wendync
    11 years ago

I have a lipstick plant, crown of thorns, african violets, phal and den orchids, thanksgiving cactus, white flowering maple and several begonias flowering right now. Might get some pics in a bit.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

African Violet here too. CC setting buds.

• ninecrow
    11 years ago

I got 1 Orchid 3 Points and a Few Flowers on My Christmas Cactus

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Great collection of blooming Orchids and Citrus, Mike! :-D

My Christmas Cactus continues to open more and more flowers each day.

11 years ago

LauraR, that's one of the prettiest AV's I've ever seen, just love it!!

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Mike, I'm ready to get in my car and drive over to your house! LOL. Beautiful plants!

TJ...I have never had luck with poinsettias. You did a wonderful job with yours!

EL.. That's a lovely color bloom on you AV. Such a deep pink!

Josh..is that the CC that you did the repot on? It certainly likes that window. I can't wait to see how my CC blooms this year.

Purple, I have to admit that I recently acquired that violet. DH said, do you really need another plant? Nonplant people!

11 years ago

Laura, you are correct :-)
    That's the CC that I re-potted a bit late in the season. Took the transition quite well, I'd say.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Ludisia (terrestial orchid) is blooming now, there are 12 spikes, either bud or fully open (leaves visible behind the flower spike are phal).

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike - your plants are beautiful. So many beautiful orchids, and the citrus, gardenia...simply gorgeous.

tj - your poinsettias look so lush; and the white(cream?) one is so huge! You are doing something right.

elkay - rich color on you violet; what other colors are blooming for you now?

Laura - just like tiny rosebuds...love the color & blooms. I am not successful with AF's.

Josh - great looking CC, looks like you'll have so many more flowers.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheesh!

If you put Laura's and Rina's words together, that is exactly how I feel and wanted to say!

Truly amazing everyone!

Rina, I almost bought an orchid like that, and I should of after looking at yours. Beautiful! Thank you

Oh, and that African Violet Laura, that kind I would buy in a heart beat! So different and beautiful color.

Josh, I am in love with that C.C and you know why! I should get a pick of the two I have now that my camera is working. So nice and I love it when the flowers open in a space of different times and not all at once. They last so much longer that way. That is how my gardenia flowers open.

Purple, no Pics? Come on..:-) By the way, I heard you are cold down there too.

Elkay..How in the world do you do such a good job with all your plants?

Ninecrow..Congrats. It is almost impossible to get three points at once. I have yet to do that.

Tj...How in the world did you get them to be that big and to FLOWER? Nice job!

Chris..What's up buddy!? Yes, finally you get to see them. I am happy you did. Been sick these days but hoping to catch up with you soon:-)

Laura, come and visit anytime!

So beautiful and please keep them coming! It brightens my day, I don't know about you all. What a great way to start this year, this month:-)

MIke

11 years ago

Thanks, Mike, I like staggered blooms, too :-)
    I'd love to see a pic of the CC cuttings that you rooted...I know they're in good hands.
    In the pic above, there is below the CC a 'Bantel's Sensation' Sansevieria, a Desert Rose,
    a Ceropegia saundersonii, and a Sedum nussbaumerianum...all from Garden Web members!
    You, Karen (PG), and one member who remains unnamed ;-)

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

"Tj...How in the world did you get them to be that big and to FLOWER?"

Time...and sun in summer. See the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: My Poinsettia procedure

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    The Queens wreath ,Petrea volubilis, is putting on quite a show probably because of the exceptionally warm winter?? gary

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike

Ludisia is really easy to grow and it has very nice velvet-like leaves.
    I have 4 pieces, that broke off last summer, in water (!) and even they have flowers now...

Rina

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

My Ludisia is blooming, also! And I agree with Rina, they are much easier to grow than I thought they would be.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

As always, Mike, I admire the growing knowledge and time put into your plants... I'm totally jealous of your orchids! Great photos! :-)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Hi Rina. I noticed you are from Ontario too. Where did you get your Ludisia (terrestial orchid)? I love the foliage and the flowers are beautiful!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Everyone's flowers are beautiful!!

I don't have hardly anything, but here's the very few I have right now:

This one is Monadenium montanum/Euphorbia neorubella blooms-

{{gwi:69364}}
    {{gwi:69365}}

Monadenium montanum/Euphorbia neorubella as a whole plant which is a caudex plant-

{{gwi:69366}}

Amaryllis-

{{gwi:69367}}

Star of bethlehem-

{{gwi:69368}}

{{gwi:69369}}

Tiny Guzmania bromeliad-

{{gwi:69370}}

11 years ago

"I don't have hardly anything"

Glad to be the first of what I'm sure will be many to completely NOT agree with this.

LOVE LOVE LOVE everyone's pics!!

Almost...! (Easter cactus) Daggone it, I'm cheating!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

marric

I bought Ludisia at Sheridan probably 6-7 yrs. ago, it was just 1 stem.

I have those rooted cuttings you can see in last photo I posted - when they finish blooming I can send you some...

FPT

I like your Monadenium montanum/Euphorbia neorubella, looks like it has speckled leaves?

Rina

11 years ago

Finally got around to taking a pic of T. pallida blooms earlier.

11 years ago

Cane Begonia.

11 years ago

Wax Begonia.