Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants in movies, TV

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 11:55

Though almost any time there's an office scene, there are plants, I always love the huge office plant 'cameos' on Seinfeld especially. We were watching Gilligan's Island the other day and I realized how many awesome 'house plants' are in the background. On Big Bang Theory, there's a big plant in every shot in the lobby/landings of their apartment building (even though there doesn't seem to be windows.) My memory isn't good enough to know if they're the same ones in the same spots.

But isn't it downright strange how they never mention them? Like, nobody ever knocks on the door & gets distracted, "Hey, what an awesome Ficus tree!" Or, "Look at the huge leaves on your Pothos!"

Is it kind of delicious irony that nobody ever waters these plants (that we see) and they look great? Isn't it sad that on the rare occasion a struggling plant is seen, it's used as a sign to the viewer, to signal this is definitely one of the 'bad guys,' really really bad.

The last time we watched Apocalypse Now, I was mostly watching the jungle, as I'm usually doing during the 'survival' shows DH likes.

It seems like most TV shows about families are in CA. Whenever they show the outside of someone's house, it's usually landscaped with cacti/succulent plants.

What other shows or movies have you noticed plants in? What have you noticed about them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants in movies, TV

I always notice the fake plants they stick into the scenery. I live in a historic city often used for filming and they have to hang plastic foliage over the modern fixtures like electric wires, etc. It also makes me laugh when the character says somthing about 'freesias' while holding out a bunch of stocks. A great one was in the film Bright Star where John Keats and his love wander through an orchard of apple trees which have fake cherries attached to the branches. They do so much research on costume and seemingly very little on the plants.

o

The little shop of horrors comes to mind.

I mean...the plant talked! ...Can ya get more fake than that? LOL ;)

o

I was just thinking this the other day!! I've been marathoning the drama show "Parenthood". Each family has all these issues happening with all their kids and they have these big gorgeous houses and house plants all over the place. One mom has an orchid healthily blooming on a table next to her bed, hardly near a window. Another family has a big leafy plant on top of their fridge, again nowhere near a window. The grandmother has a beautiful yard that's just FULL of huge blooming plants. It looks like it would require a huge amount of maintenance but you never see her out there working on it. There's also a gorgeous pink orchid growing in the almost windowless lobby of a music studio that some of the family members work in that I am very envious of.

But yes, you're not the only one to notice! My first thought is always how unrealistic the plants look, being so bushy and healthy with no light. Then my second thought I'd they must be fake and I think it's stupid to decorate with fake plants. .what a waste of space!! Lol

o

Purple,
Asleep already beat me to it, I was going to say "Little Shop of Horrors." But, "Will and Grace" and "Apollo 13" come to mind. "Will and Grace" always had a Fiddle leaf Ficus outside one of their apartments and Will had a beautiful Sanseveria I kept thinking to myself, "I'll take that!" "Apollo 13," also featured a handful of Sanseveria in one of the wives' homes.

Planto

o

I watch mostly old European movies. Most have a scene somewhere with single Sansevieria in a terra cotta pot. Even mobsters have a single Sansevieria in a corner of a hide-out with no windows and a single incandescent light bulb.

o

I've noticed a proliferation of Phalanopsis appearing in tv shows and movies. Unfortunately, it is usually just a boring white one ... Although in an episode of "Dexter", Dexter receives a harlequin Phal (white flowers with irregular maroon or burgundy spots/splotches) from his love. Rather amusingly done considering he is the blood spatter analyst for the shows police department, and of course because of his side "hobby".

PG, not necessarily fake. Even in many hotel lobbies and office buildings it is a common practice to take the robust plants you see and regularly switched them out once they start to decline with new healthy plants. Particularly in some of the larger metropolitan areas, there are greenhouses which cater to the those people who want live plants but don't really want to take care of them. One gent I was chatting with one time mentioned that a 1/3 of his greenhouse was basically rental space. He had clients who would leave their plants with him to care for. When the plant was coming into bloom, he'd give them a call and they'd come and pick it up. When it was done blooming, they would drop it off back with him.

photo t121015_zpsfd8d0ef4.gif

o

Paul, I forgot about Dexter!! I loved Hannah's green house. Broke my heart when she came back to everything dead.

Rental plants?! I'll have to keep that in mind if I don't get the hang of this, LOL. I can see hotels doing that but normal people in a household? That's like sending your kid to boarding school. A bit extreme of a metaphor but you know what I mean.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:16

I know the bonsai master (Roy Nagatoshi) who provided the bonsai trees for the original Karate Kid movie. He might not remember me because of all the bonsai people he meets, but I've attended many of his demos & workshops, and helped him do some grafting of Chinese Juniper foliage to old San Jose junipers. He actually even looks a little like Mr. Myogi. BTW, Mr. Myogi gets his name from one of the styles in which bonsai trees are fashioned. 'Myogi', translated from the Japanese = 'informal upright', which is an upright style but with a trunk that has a lazy s-curvature instead of a straight trunk, which would make it a formal upright.

That reminds me - I haven't been over to the bonsai forum in forever.

Al

o

Hi
"Jurassic park" Pirates of the caribbean" House plants in an informal setting ?? lol
One that I've always wondered about "Wizard of Oz I don't believe a single one of those plants were real. Would seem easier and cheaper to use the real thing??
" Little shop of Horrors" only movie I can think of where a plant was the star? As to talking most of my plants often talk. "Feed me" Water me". Two demand blood bougainvillea and an Agave always saying" admire me from a distance dummy" lol gary

o

Good call on the wizard of oz Gary!
Talking trees and knockout poppies all the way! LOL

o

I was watching the dvd of the BBC version of Emma. There were many house plants in both the houses at Donwell and Hartfield. I can't remember specifically what they were, but I think a lot of them probably wouldn't have been available in Georgian England. Kind of reminds me of the Corelle cups that "Eleanor and Franklin" were drinking from in their movie.

o

The office, Jay Leno, And Ellen Show not sure if they are real on the last two .I see movies and Im always commenting on the plants drives my wife crazy.

o

aseedisapromise - you're right about the anachronistic plants. When old houses are used as locations, they can't very well remove incongruous plants from the gardens, even if they realise the errors. Which I don't imagine they do. But they could at least try to get the indoor plants right.

Another thing that makes me smile is when a scene is set in winter and they have put fake snow on trees which underneath are in full summer foliage.

o

Can't remember what I was watching but tv mom watered a plant except there was no water coming from the watering can. I tend to watch for oopsies in shows and typos in books......but my big question is how come no one in TV and movie land ever has to use the rest room?

o

Fun discussion! I always think of A&E's dramatization of the Nero Wolfe mystery novels (novels are by Rex Stout, I think...?). Nero Wolfe raises orchids, and spends several hours every day in his plant room on the top floor of his NYC brownstone. Those are "his" hours and no one is supposed to disturb him up there, but, occasionally, people do, and we get brief glimpses of the orchids. Too brief! I always want the plant-shots to be longer and more in focus, but, instead, if you can imagine, the camera focuses on the *people* in the scene. Too bad. ;) There are a few episodes of this dramatization in which plants have a role in the plot line/mystery, as well.

Amanda

o

I always notice the plants (and furniture) in Woody Allen movies. In his movies everyone always lives in the perfect "intellectual" NYC (or other city) apartment, often with mid-century modern furniture and appropriate plants. I'm always jealous of Annie Hall's tiny apartment and roof deck with flowers.

Speaking of California TV houses... growing up in Maine this always used to annoy me! There was never anyone who lived in some old house in some rural or coastal town (save for perhaps Jessica Fletcher and Newhart...) which got real winter weather. Sometimes people would live in other regions to indicate poverty or "working class" status, another race (Good Times, Jeffersons, 227, Family Matters, Cosby Show) or the "Friends" dynamic, but they always tended to be cities. I felt an absolute disconnect from the world TV showed, especially back in the '70s and '80s when there was no internet and there were more regional differences.

This post was edited by lizzie_nh on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 9:26

o

If you wanna evoke an Edwardian mood, gotta include...

Kentia palms
Boston ferns, and
an Aspidistra

Cool tolerant plants for cold, British homes of the period.

o

How about Meryl Streep's veggie garden in "It's Complicated"? Now that's my dream garden. And ironic that a garden like that would require much tending but they never show her getting her hands dirty nor does she have the time to do so.

o

I love the plants in "Psych," which takes place in Santa Barbara California. The shots are usually of lovely saucer magnolias and wisteria in bloom. I'm pretty sure they are real, but it bothers me that they are ALWAYS in bloom, no matter what time of year it is in the show!

o

Watching some show earlier with DH about people deciding which house to buy in HI. Wow, the stuff that grows in the ground there, my fingers would go numb trying to list them all here.

o

Lol, the topic of this discussion re-affirms my suspicion/hope that I am not crazy...or at least not crazy alone. My husband thinks it so funny when we're on a romantic date, and I point out, notice, or know the names of many of the houseplants in the mall or movies and totally don't pay any attention at all to what most "normal" people do.

This post was edited by rachels.haven on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 22:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here