Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
China Doll Propagation - Possible?

Posted by tammypie 9 (tamsammut55@gmail.com) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 12:03

I'd like to take a stab at propagating my large CD plant. Any advice please?

Thanks, TPie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: China Doll Propagation - Possible?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 15:48

It's not the easiest plant to clone. I would take 3-node tip cuttings in mid to late summer when energy levels are high. Take cuttings of tips where the internodes are shortest, they will have the most energy. Remove leaves from the bottom 2 nodes by snipping through them with a sharp scissors very close to the stem. Bury the bottom 2 nodes in a well-aerated, coarse, sterile medium, like screened/rinsed perlite, screened Turface, or pumice, and tent. Place in open shade and wait.

You can use a milk container as a mini greenhouse/tent, like the picture. Or, you can save the bottom of the jug as a container and slip the top back over the bottom. You want a little air movement through the chamber to prevent fungaluglies, so if the top fits tightly over the bottom, remove the cap.

There's a batch of extremely dwarf hemlock that grow less than 1/4" per year cooking in the greenhouse seen below.

Photobucket

Al

o
CD Propagation - Possible?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 15:49

Oh - you could also air-layer, which is pretty foolproof. Interested?

Al

o

Sorry Tammy,

No, but would guess it would be best attempted in Springtime. I'd guess it's the wrong time of year for this.

o

Yes, I'm interested, Al.

Pirate, I figured that it is too cool, even here in Sunny So. California these days to attempt to propagate my CD; I will definitely wait in Spring/early summer to try this!

Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here