Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jduren_gw

Potho soil problems

jduren
11 years ago

I've had this plant for some time. It sat above the window on top of the cabinets and honestly wasn't watered enough and a cup or two at a time.

I recently took up house plants as a hobby and thought I needed to get a grip on two pothos I had and give them the proper care they deserved.

First I checked with reliable nursery and because the roots were only receiving water on top the roots are shallow. So i set the pot in the sink and filled with water till the soil was completely wet.

Now the problem. I did the same treatment on two pothos and one has needed watering and the other is still too wet after 2-3 weeks.

I have Miracle grow potting soil in planters out side I used in July. Would this be ok to re-pot with? I can get new tomorrow but thought I might try it today as I have time....Thx Jack

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Plants don't like pot/soil combinations that allow significant fractions of the soil to remain soggy/saturated for extended periods. Better, are soils that are always so well-aerated that if there IS a fraction of the soil that tends to remain soggy after a thorough watering, it's only a very small fraction of the soil.

I don't know of anyone here that uses MG or MG Moisture Control straight from the bag (without amending in an attempt to increase aeration and how well it drains). Your soil choice probably has more influence on your ability to consistently bring along healthy and attractive plants than any other decisions you're likely to make re a planting, and gaining an understanding of how water behaves in soils probably represents the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time. Let me know if you're interested in expending a little effort to chase this thought a bit. If you are, I'll provide some links to threads right here at GW that I'm sure will offer some valuable insight.

Al

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx for the reply. The soil in this pot is a few yrs old. Because it was above the cabinets and I only watered a cup or two at a time I never noticed the soil drainage.

Any links would be helpful. The nursery I started dealing with has there own mix potting soil for house plants. I believe they will be open after the holidays and I will pass by there tomorrow. Jack

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I'll provide you with a basic overview of growing houseplants in containers, and help you identify so you can avoid most of the pitfalls growers most often arrive here looking for remedies for, so read me first.

I'll help you understand how to tell the difference between a soil that will work for you, as opposed to one you'll fight against, so read me after you have a good understanding of the first link.

Make sure you ask any questions you might be wondering about.

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Although I wouldn't dispute any of that soil stuff, which I also believe is critical for good growing in general, if that particular Pothos were mine, I'd cut off all of the vines and start over. It's much easier for a vine-type plant like this, and no mess. Freshly rooted cuttings will grow much faster, vigorously, and reliably. Then you can start down the path of putting them in a better "soil" and employing better watering practices, keeping the soil moist but not soggy or too dry. Not all types of plants have such an easy option but this one does.