Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Bird's Nest Fern

Posted by aquadriac (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 12:19

Hey all- I've had this bird's nest fern for about a year now... Lately it's been looking somewhat leggy, upon closer inspection I noticed there are two 'birds nests' in the middle, so there are two plants I'm guessing. Might one be choking out the other- and whats the best way to separate them??

Here's some pictures

The other 'center' (I don't know what to call it- where the leaves come out) is tucked underneath the other in the 2nd photo.

Thank you for any advice- I love this plant and it's hard to come by in my area- I'm afraid I'll screw it up! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Bird's Nest Fern

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a Mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 16:34

Whether or not the plants are 'choking' each other would be a function of how congested the roots are in the entire soil mass. Root congestion restricts growth because the soil becomes packed with 'conductive' roots, roots the primary function of which is to move water and nutrients, rather than to gather them. This leaves a reduced volume of soil to support the fine hair roots that do all the real work.

The 'center' you refer to would be called the 'crown'. If the roots have filled the pot and are restricting growth, you should consider repotting/root pruning or separating and repotting the plants in the future, but winter is a poor time to consider work as major as that. Instead, wait until early summer when the plant(s) have gained some energy and they are better able to tolerate the stress.

If the smaller plant is an offset from the larger, you can simply cut them apart with a longitudinal cut so each has a healthy portion of the root system. Dust the cut with powdered sulfur if you want, to help thwart any rot organisms that might want to wreck your day. If the plants are individuals, tease or cut the root mass apart to separate the plants & repot.

Don't be afraid to cut the plants back and prune roots. This type of treatment forces growth from cells closer to the root systems, which are ontogenetically younger (juvenile) and more vigorous, which is where the term rejuvenation pruning comes from.

Al

o

oh thank you so much! Instead of sulfur might I be able to use cinnamon powder? I use it on my orchids when I cut them to prevent infections... same deal right?

I will wait and divide them in spring/summer, they should have plenty of room in there for roots.

Thanks again!

o

• Posted by tapla zone 5b-6a Mid-M (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 5, 11 at 15:26

Cinnamon should work fine, though either would just be an added precaution. I use the sulfur mainly on cuttings of THICK cacti and succulents. Beyond that, I rarely bother. If your soil is well-aerated, the threat of rot issues are greatly reduced.

Take care.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here