Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vonbook_gw

What's wrong with my split-leaf philodendron???

Vonbook
9 years ago

I have a large split-leaf philodendron in my living room that I love & have had for about 9 months. For the first several months, it thrived and seemed like it was getting bigger & healthier all the time.

Then in the fall, the larger leaves began turning brown & dying one by one. There's still a significant plant left, but not as big as it was before. I thought I might be underwatering, so I began lightly watering it every couple days (as to not OVER-water), and mist it regularly--that seemed to halt its decline a little.

At first I thought I'd just eventually killed it--but lately new, healthy-looking baby leaves have begun to sprout from the base. So, that's encouraging! (I also moved it from a shaded corner to give it a little more sun, it seems to like that as well.)

Is it normal for split-leaf philodendrons' larger, older leaves to eventually die off & make way for new ones? Or am I doing something wrong? (When it was thriving earlier in the year, it seemed to need a lot less maintenance--now it's kind of temperamental, lol...I thought they were known as REALLY hardy plants.)

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

As days get shorter, temps get cooler, plants can use less moisture, and appreciate more light than they would need during summer, when days are longer, rays are much more intense. What you describe sounds normal for a plant held in captivity, but

Are you able to add a pic of your plant? Care is similar, but it would be good to know if you have Philodendron bipinnatifidum or Monstera deliciosa (or something else, like Rhaphidophora,) and gather opinions about its' appearance.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

It could be a humidity issue. In the house in the winter when the heat is on, the air get drier and humid loving plants will get browning of the leaves or even drop leaves.
    Misting is a good thing to do and cutting down on the water until the leaves grow back. Also, check to make sure there are no heat vents near it.
    Moving it to a sunnier window during the winter probably does make it happier too.
    I have lots of philodendrons the old leaves usually hang around quite a while so if yours are browning all of a sudden it is probably just the dry air.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

The leaves should stay alive for awhile before they die. and very few should die at one time.

• Vonbook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a snapshot of the plant. (I placed sticks throughout to hold the leaves up so the plant looks taller, as they get kind of heavy & tend to drop--and the funny-looking knobs are just paper gathered around the tops as a protective measure; my young daughter plays in the room a lot. :-)

Any thoughts on the looks of things?

• Vonbook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also...in comparison, here's how it looked back in the summer. (Seeing how it looked before gives me the sads!) The only reason I haven't just given up is because a) I love plants, thought it was beautiful & am determined to do all I can first, and b) since I still see new leaves coming up, I'm hoping not all hope is lost!

This post was edited by Vonbook on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 16:28

• Vonbook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bboy, I'll check out the root situation.

How often should it be watered, then? I don't remember any specific care instructions when I bought it; I'd just heard from others that it was a really hardy plant & easy to care for (for a while, it was).

Back when it was thriving, I didn't water that frequent--maybe once a week or week & a half. But I'm not totally sure if that was too much or too little.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Agreed. When the bits of organic matter in the potting soil decompose, they become smaller bits, with less air between them. This causes things to stay moist longer, and the reduced air can suffocate the roots. Roots need oxygen & moisture at the same time to function. Removing the old soil & replacing with new helps restore things to a functional situation. Not packing soil tightly around the roots can also help preserve those tiny air spaces, as well as watering very gently the first few times, so the force of the gushing water doesn't compact the soil.

If the soil is airy and not packed tight, it can stay more moist without causing issues for your plant. No need to add water if still moist, but no need to let it get wilty dry to avoid "overwatering," root rot. As seasons change, a plants' moisture needs can change, so trying to prescribe a schedule can be frustrating and doesn't usually work well.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?