Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade Plant losing new leaves

Posted by Linda5050 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 12:38

I purchased a jade bonsai from a reputable dealer. The plant is dropping healthy leaves--not brown or mushy. I thought I might be watering it too much, so cut back to once a week or so. The drop off rate has increased. Could it be a lack of light or shock from the change in environment? Help, I paid a lot for it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade Plant losing new leaves

Can you post a pic?

Lack of light will cause leaf-drop, yes, but so will overwatering.
You say you're watering once a week now....but how often were you watering before???
Unless the plant is very large, or the container very small, once a week in the Winter
is most likely too much.

Is it actually a Jade plant (Crassula ovata) would be my next question.
Portulacaria afra are commonly sold as "Jade" or "Mini Jade" bonsai,
and they are even more prone to winter leaf-drop than actual Jades.

More info needed.

Josh

o

Linda,

Aside from Josh's questions...

When did you get the Jade?

How much light was it getting before you brought it home and now?

I'm certain you read Jades are succulents, so soil needs to dry between waterings..
This is true. However, since your Jade is potted in a Bonsai pot, soil dries much quicker. Therefore, your soil 'may' need more water.

Testing soil in a bonsai container is simple enough to determine whether the soil needs a drink or not.

Of course, it depends on size of pot, plant/roots, room temp, etc.

A picture would help..and size of pot, too. Toni

o

Just like Linda, I just purchased, 2 months ago, a Mini Jade and am dropping healthy leaves. I leave my in indirect sunlight, let dry between feedings/watering as told in my directions. Like Linda, paid $49.00 for my little Jade. Please advise

o

Have either of you contacted your seller for advice? That would be my first step.

They know the care/conditions in which the plants were raised.

Linda

o

No answer to my questions, I see.
Well, Slstacy, are you sure it's actually a Jade plant? Portulacaria afra drop leaves far
more frequently than Jade plants - and "Mini Jade" more often refers to Port. afras than
to compact Jades.

Regardless, these are high light plants...increase the light substantially,
gradually if they've been in the shade.

Linda, did you ever find a bushy pot full of Jade?

Josh

o

Hi, Josh:

Alas, no. :-(

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here