Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Jerusalem Cherry bush experiment

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 13:00

Hi. I've heard that Tomato bushes fruit, drop them, and let mold do the rest of the work.

I'm trying to test that fact on the Jerusalem Cherry since it's in the same family(even though it's not edible...at all). I have a specific plant pot completely dedicated to this plant. Already, it's producing and dropping fruit left and right, and some of the "cherries" are on the surface of the soil growing mold. I do have this contained.

It's a science experiment, conducted and assigned to me by me(AND also showing that I have completely gone mad when it comes to gardening...lol). The purpose of this experiment is to see how long the life cycle of a Jerusalem Cherry is, and how to speed it up(without artificial interaction--i.e harvesting the fruits, cleaning the seeds, etc).

Since I don't live in a warm climate where these things can grow wild, I'm trying to see what it's like as a wild plant. I do have a few worms in a container, thinking about adding them to the experiment. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advanced!

PS, I'll keep you guys posted about the results.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Jerusalem Cherry bush experiment

As a perennial (assuming you're talking about Solanum pseudocapsicum,) there's not much to prove about the life cycle, or maybe I'm misunderstanding your point. I didn't understand the part about speeding it up. Wherever they aren't affected by frost, they are not annually killed, perennial like tomato plants. I was wondering how you're doing the pollination...

Are you trying to determine if they bear fruit indefinitely once they start? You could probably google that, but I love a good experiment too, and have done many things that make people say, "What?!" I hope you learn something more interesting than how to get rid of the fruit flies that I predict will inevitably show up. Worms are usually a good addition to any experiment, but we're gonna get jumped on a bit for this, be ready for the ewwwws!

The problem with comparing tropical plants in their native habitat to what they do in a non-tropical location are things like sun strength and day length. Much shorter/longer days are factors to which tropical plants can be affected in ways unique to being in such "captivity." Not to mention stuff like tap water additives, inappropriate root situations, PH, temperatures, humidity levels...

o

Trust me, the fruit flies are already here! lol

o

Hello. After about three months of watering the Jerusalem Cherry and fertilizing it, (nothing else) I have made the following discovery

discovery #1 Reproduction Process + Mold

#1 WHEN YOU LEAVE THE FRUIT IN THE SOIL, AS YOU WATER THEM, THEY COLLECT MOLD (ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER THEY BEGIN TO SHRIVEL)

#2 MOLD GROWS ON THE FRUIT AND HELPS THE FRUIT SHRIVELING PROCESS SPEED UP

#3 WHEN THE FRUIT SHRIVELS UP, THEY DROP THE SEEDS INTO THE SOIL AND THE SEEDS SPROUT ROOTS (THIS TAKES ABOUT 1 TO 3 MONTHS TO FINISH)

#4 THE MOLD ON THE REMAINING FRUIT DISSOLVES THE FRUIT PART WHICH BECOMES MORE NUTRIENTS FOR THE SEEDLINGS TO GROW HEALTHY

MOLD IS BENEFICIAL TO THE SEXUAL(FRUIT/SEED) PROPAGATION OF THE JERUSALEM CHERRY

I'll keep you posted about this experiment.

o

I wish that you had chosen something that wasn't toxic so that wild life might be able to eat it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here