Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P Selloum (Philodendron) with little brown spots on some leaves

Posted by kat123456 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 13:23

Hi everyone,
I have a 30+ year-old P Selloum philodendron that has little tiny round brown spots on some of the leaves. I don't see any evidence of bugs, and some leaves are totally fine. Is this anything I should be concerned about? It was outside last summer and then I brought it back into the house in October. I also took the whole thing out of the pot last summer, washed off the roots, and split the plant into 3 plants (one large, 2 small). It's growing like crazy (it takes up the same amount of space as my baby grand piano!) and appears healthy, but I am concerned because I had a recent whitefly infestation in my hibiscus plants (which were segregated on a different floor of the house). Any thoughts on what these brown spots might be?

Thank you so much! This plant was given to me by one of my college professors 20 years ago, and he had it for a long time before then, so it means a lot to me!

Kat in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P Selloum (Philodendron) with little brown spots on some leav

I should also mention that I treated this plant with a systemic before bringing it inside. (Then again, I also treated those hibiscuses, and they are now gone because I couldn't deal with the whitefly)

o
RE: P Selloum (Philodendron) with little brown spots on some leav

I've seen this on some selloums too. If it's just a few leaves, cut them off at the base of the stem and hopefully you won't get any more spotted ones. My guess it that it's some kind of fungus.

I too gave up on the indoor hibs. Couldn't deal with the whiteflies(and aphids and mites...).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here