Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiekinmecrzy

Schefflera (arboricola?) problems

jamiekinmecrzy
9 years ago

Hi all, first timer here! Have used this forum a lot as a guest but have a unique issue I can't seem to find any exact information on. My friend's umbrella tree has been slowly failing since its recent move from Colorado to Indiana (about 3-4 months ago). When it first arrived, I helped transplant it and it had new growth that was curling under then, but no sign of discoloration or spotting. We transplanted it and it was having issues with drainage, so about a month later I repotted it again with chunks of styrofoam to help with drainage and aeration as well as some powdered mycorrhizae to ease the transplant shock. It's been probably two months since the last transplant, and throughout this time it's been receiving indirect sunlight. It's now in full sun and beginning new growth again which is still curling, and many of the older leaves have fallen off. The picture I posted was sent to me today, as you can see the petioles seem to be rotting down to the stem.

Can't seem to put my finger on it, at first I thought it was just environmental shock then I thought we'd give it time to recover from the drainage issue, but it's still struggling. I've been reading about broad mites that cause new growth to curl like that, but it still doesn't explain the brown petioles. I haven't had a chance to look closely at it to see if there are actually mites on the plant. I think there's a variety of things going on here and would just like to see if anyone has had a similar experience or might have any advice based on what I've been able to recall about the plant.

I appreciate any advice anyone might have!!
Cheers,
JL

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

While a scheff doesn't like to go dry, it's better too dry than wet. There are a number of cultural influences that can cause the symptoms shown, but a soil too wet is always the first suspect when we see symptoms as shown. Adding chunks of Styrofoam or perlite won't do much for soil aeration/ drainage/ water retention if the rest of the soil is all fine matter (peat, coir, compost, composted forest products, sand, topsoil .....).

How are you caring for the plant in terms of additives, like fertilizer or other things you have used in hope that it will stimulate better growth or vitality?

Al

• jamiekinmecrzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your response! No fertilizer was added, just a mild humic acid added to the initial watering (with RO) after the last transplant and I imagine he's just been using tap water since. I used a soil blend of happy frog and coir, along with some crushed up egg shells I had laying around. I dusted the roots with VAM when we transplanted it the second time and I think I sprayed the leaves with Nitrozime, though I can't remember for sure. Do you think it's too soon to try another transplant? The pot is really heavy, what do you think we should do to help with the drainage, maybe shale rocks mixed in to the media? What kind of media do you think would be best?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

The best media are those you can water to beyond saturation w/o having to worry your soil will remain soggy so long it affects root function/health. I use this
    {{gwi:1295}}
    as my soil, and nothing more than Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 as a fertilizer. I have no trouble, after a little pinching, growing attractive and healthy plants:

{{gwi:71692}}
    {{gwi:3149}}

My impression is, you're going to much more trouble than what's required to grow consistently healthy plants. If by chance it's not an over-watering issue, the problem probably lies in some of the other ministrations you described.

If you can get your plants in a soil you can water appropriately, and provide favorable light/temps for your plants, fertilizing and just maintaining plants in a state of good vitality suddenly becomes MUCH easier.

Al

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I have a large Schefflera in a pot. I have had it for over 15 years and has been repotted many times. This will happen when repotting isn't done at the right time. I've had this happen.

Leave the plant alone, put it outside when temps warm up in Spring. I think it will turn around.

I've seen this happen and the tree will recover with enough light and warmth. Give it time. You sound like a good gardener.

Jane