Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shayfish_gw

Wilted arrowhead philodendron

shayfish
11 years ago

I am office plant-sitting for my brother and I sort of took a bit of extra time off over the holidays and forgot about his little Nephthytis/Arrowhead plant. Today I came in and it has all gone completely limp. It is not dead (yet) but it is quite sad and floppy looking (see attached).

I am looking for advice on how best to help the poor thing recover from this neglect. I have given it a good watering (but not allowed it to sit in any) and now I am just crossing my fingers... is there anything else I can do?

Comments (22)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

How long ago did you do water it? Was the water cold?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Awww, hopefully it will perk up by tomorrow. Is there a hole in the bottom? If it's dry again tomorrow, give it another drink. When a plant gets that dry, the soil can take a few tries to moisten again. Best to take it slow so you don't take it too far in the soggy direction. Once you see which leaves aren't going to recover, trim them off.

• shayfish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I watered it about an hour before the pic was taken... with room temperature bottled water. Yes, there is a hole in the bottom, so I gave it a good drink, and then poured out the water that drained out the bottom. It is actually even droopier than it looks in the pic because the pot is a bit shorter than the one it is sitting inside of.

I expect that the situation was worsened by having moved it from its office with 1 tiny narrow window to my office which has many massive windows (lucky me, tee hee :) ), because I have one of these at home that has endured much greater periods of neglect than this, and I have never seen it wilt before!

11 years ago

A lot more light, like enough for sunburn? I've had problems with that on these plants. The colors seem best when there's tons of bright light, but nothing direct. Sending good vibes to this plant!

• shayfish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, it would not be enough for sunburn... the days are too short up here at this time of year so basically all of the light is indirect. I would say it is a case of straight up dehydration!

Good thing I was planning to come in to work over the weekend anyway so I can check up on it!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi,

AN hour after a drink is nothing & one can't assess it yet at all, need to see it next day at least.

11 years ago

Yes, how's it looking now? It's a Syngonium, BTW.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

For the record, not a philodendron.

• shayfish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HOORAY!!

Yep, these bad boys live up to their reputation of being tough.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

shayfish,
    Being that it wilted so bad, don't be suprised if it develops more yellow leaves (it's normal).

Planto

• shayfish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, thanks for the tip. I guess I will have to fess up to having been a negligent plant-sitter...

11 years ago

It's alive!

• kcook323
    9 years ago

Got clippings from a friend a couple years ago, and now it looks like this. I bought some bamboo stakes yesterday to help support it, but i really want it to look like the one in the original posters picture (minus the wilt, haha). I have been googling like crazy for videos or picture tips. I don't want to mess it up. Any helpful, hand holding tips appreciated! The extra pot in the picture will be used to transplant.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know if it is a philodendron. I call it Devil Weed. I had some take over an area of my yard and it took a years long battle to get rid of it - I say with my fingers crossed.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

For sure it's NOT a Philodendron as already stated above. I completely agree w/ the ID that this is a Syngonium.

This plant's nature is to hang when it gets long enough to do so. Trying to stake it upright when it's this long may be a losing battle.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Agreeing with PG here, it's called an Arrowhead Vine because it likes to vine. They don't look like a vining plant when you first buy them, but they turn into vines over time.

Planto

• kcook323
    9 years ago

I guess i just want to know how to fill mine out, i don't mind the creeping vine, but i want it fuller in the pot before it creeps.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Syngonium is a climber. It only hangs down when it has no support while trying to find something to climb up. As mentioned before, they grow very readily from cuttings, so it's quite easy to thicken up a pot of them. Roots will only come from the nodes along the stem, not the stem itself. So make sure there's some nodes in the cuttings. You'll end up with a fuller pot in no time, and soon after a full pot of long vines.

• kcook323
    9 years ago

Thank you! I decided to repot it, and wrapped it around bamboo pole. I will attempt clipping vines with nodes to thicken it up.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, but that pot is wayyyyy too big for that plant. W/ such a peaty looking mix you risk root rot.

I'd pot it down smaller & also add abt 30% perlite to that mix at least. Then I'd take some cuttings to fill the pot a bit more & THEN try to get it to climb.

Otherwise its roots are likely to drown/suffocate in all that wet soil.

9 years ago

I don't see enough plant here to take more than 1 cutting. I can only see about 5 nodes on the larger vine, then just so many long petioles. If this plant is a couple years old, it probably had significant roots when repotted, and was already being cultured without rotting, in a pot not much smaller than this. I don't jump to the same conclusion when I see the change. It's already matured to vine form, so no reason for it to not be on the pole.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Low light will produce elongated petioles and stems with fewer nodes. Mine grow well here in full sun while they have ample water. In fact, mine are working towards taking over the universe, LOL.