Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Problem Aerial Roots

greybird_keke
11 years ago

Purple's post about aerial roots reminded me that I wanted to ask if there is anything that can be done about excessive growth of them....I have this cactus that grows them all along the branches to the point of being ugly. I've cut off most of the new growth with the worst of them. I wonder if the plant isn't getting enough light? Some of the new growth seems to be long and skinny. Actually, I'm not sure what makes this plant happy, because last summer I was able to put it in brighter light (not sun), and instead of growing thick and full, it sunburned!

Comments (11)

• plantsaremylife_grow
    11 years ago

Hi
    This is so funny. I have a ric rac cactus myself and it is also bursting out all kinds of aerial roots as well. Ive had the plant since spring in an 8 inch pot. It did nothing all summer and now like yours is growing these roots and longer shoots.

The longer shoots makes me think low light, but the roots not so much. I Also think they would come out with ample moisture- - as is the case with many plants. Mine is quite dry and I don't mist! I kinda like em tho lol. But for you, yes cut them off. It shouldn't damage anything. It might encourage more though!

I've also had it sunburn with little direct light. It doesn't re-coop well either. Talk about ugly!!! All I can say is it is difficult to accommodate its ligh needs. Kyle

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I don't cut them off. I'm not sure what they're for but I do leave them be.

Pls. do not put these plants in direct sun. Kindly read up on epiphytic cacti, which are jungle cacti, growing up in these branches of the trees where they get dappled light only & frequent rains. Direct sun will burn these plants, they are not designed for it.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Yea, it's an epiphytic cactus, can't tell what kind from the picture, and it's growing aerial roots, I would think, because by nature it wants to grow up the side of a tree. Can you put a post, or nice piece of driftwood of a piece of tree limb for it to grow on? Then the rootlets will attach themselves, and not be so noticeable.

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

What kind of light is it getting? The tip growth seems to have become triangular. They only do that as a young cutting / new growth or when it is etiolated (not enough light). That is not new growth you are showing, it is the tip of a mature cladode. Try acclimating it to light gradually. When they sunburn (not likely this time of year indoors), they grow bark on the burn. Unsightly and brown, but it doesn't hurt the plant.

As mentioned above, it is a rainforest cactus, not a desert kind.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

I've never understood what some people have against aerial roots. Anyways, you can trim them off and it shouldn't hurt it.

Selenicereus anthonyanus;

These grow in bright shade. They are rainforest plants and require more water than most cacti. You can grow them like orchids.

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do take care of them as jungle, not desert cacti, and they are under fluorescent light right now. In fact I'm considering leaving them inside for the summer because they seem to like the lights better than the shade outside. The one on the left is the one in the original picture; the one on the right I got from a different source. I think they are different species, but not sure....can anyone tell by these pictures?

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a close-up of the two...the spots that look like scale are actually more aerial roots sprouting!

• Daisy Debs
    4 years ago

Those aerial roots are awesome !

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I love it when my plants send out aerial roots. They are a perfectly normal part of the whole plant. To me, it would be no different than calling a plant's flowers problematic. This is how the plants evolved over millions of years to make them what they are today. Why should we not embrace that?

• Daisy Debs
    4 years ago

Absolutely !

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner