Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
golden photos

Posted by Hrose 6 A (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 14:55

my golden photos leaves are turning brown and yellow its ONLY the leaves closest to the roots

anyone know whats causing this?

thanks

href="http://s840.photobucket.com/user/amon_03/media/IMG_0036_zpsfc838373.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo IMG_0036_zpsfc838373.jpg

photo IMG_0037_zps25831e22.jpg
 photo IMG_0038_zpsf5f7090b.jpg
 photo IMG_0039_zpse1427162.jpg
 photo IMG_0040_zps5ba78bca.jpg
 photo IMG_0041_zpsfdac8e83.jpg
 photo IMG_0042_zpsdb3f1835.jpg
 photo IMG_0043_zps0b78dc1b.jpg
 photo IMG_0044_zps7bb8a924.jpg
 photo IMG_0047_zps6ac6b673.jpg
 photo IMG_0049_zps2c821f57.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: golden photos

Being its base leaves it can be.....
1) The base leaves are dropping naturally as they age
2) The plants is getting overwatered
3)The plant can have bugs

it can probally be other causees, this is what i think it is

o

i doubt they are dropping off naturally too many of them are dropping its not just now and then

i wouldn't make the mistake of over watering but i do think i might be under-watering

i checked for bugs couldn't find any

This post was edited by Hrose on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 15:41

o
RE: golden POTHOS

Something seems wrong w/ the drainage.

You might want to turn it out & check the roots. When was the last time the mix was changed? Could it be too hard to absorb water?

o

It looks so pretty, have you had it for awile

o

pirate girl

i don't think its drainage i place it in the shower on a metal plant stand when watering plenty of water drains out of the bottom and feels heavy i water by weight also I leave the water out for 24 hrs or longer before watering

teen gardener

thanks yeah i get that alot i guess it is very pretty i've had it for only 1 year bought it from walmart it was about a foot long i make sure it gets plenty of light and regular water, fertilizer its been growing vigorously iv'e pruned off the tips many times

i have two of them both are having same brown leaf symptoms near base

photo IMG_3082_zps050aa102.jpg

photo IMG_3086_zps5c9059a9.jpg

o

Im confident its a water/drainage issue, have you tried checking the roots, they could be something wrong with them

o

Do these pots have an attached drain saucer?

o

teen gardener it's most likely a water issue I think it's under watering issue the top part stays too dry between waterings I think

i watered it the same during summer time maybe now that the air is more dry it needs more water

i will water more frequently and update

purpleniopp
no drain saucer only drainage holes

o

Common for these plants to have spoiled foliage. In fact, I'd say it's the norm.

Change in light will cause the plant to shed foliage that it can't support. Can you tell us if the location has changed at all?

In the Winter, water requirements generally decrease, so I wouldn't recommend more water...but perhaps more *regular* watering - in other words, don't let the mix dry out so long.

Most importantly, what kind of mix are you using? What kind of fertilizer? I want to explore the potential of a peaty mix, poor drainage, and accumulating salts.

Josh

o

greenman

soil that i'm using is "Special blend of soil, Peat Moss, and Perlite that supplies a perfect soil texture
Ideal drainage and aeration for most plants
Great for indoor and outdoor use"

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/premier-25-l-organic-potting-soil-0594711p.html#.UsXMhvRDurs

"Plant Fertilizer
20-20-20 formula
Encourages vigorous growth that results in bigger, healthier and longer lasting plants
Suitable for all plants - indoors and outdoors"

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plant-prod-all-purpose-fertilizer-500g/6000057190424

location hasn't changed but we do get more sunshine during summer and spring time so the plant will shed its oldest leaves first?

more regular water is what i meant to say before

poor drainage, over watering i doubt it other wise i would have yellow leaves my leaves turn brown first then yellow

accumulating salts nope dont see any white salt like spots on top of soil i let plenty of water drain out the bottom when watering

o

I will ask AGAIN, have you turned it out to check the roots? When was the last time the mix was changed?

People are repeating the questions I asked early in the thread abt drainage, the type of mix, etc. (which hadn't been answered).

Sadly, the language quoted on the bag of mix is often not helpful.

We have the same thing sometimes in the US w/ Miracle Gro blends. That the distributor of the soil says that it's great for houseplants, but usually it's not.

It's the peat & sand types of additions, which may be great in greenhouses w/ controlled & high humidity, which is not the usual situation for indoor gardeners.

Pls. don't assume that just cause you see ample water coming out the bottom, that's it's necessarily getting around the inside of the rootball. That can still happen when the rootball hardens off, but the water will run right thru btwn the edge of rootball & the pot itself (& Isn't usually obvious that's the case).

That's why I repeat, have you checked the roots? That's the best & truest indicator of what's going on with the plant. I think the occasional yellowing leaf isn't bad. The plant does not look too bad from here anyway.

o

I don't think it is the occasional yellow leaf because I see yellow on a large numbers of leaves in the photo. I do agree that the roots need to be checked

o

pirate girl

no i have not checked the roots yet i will when i get the chance but i doubt i will see anything wrong with them except healthy white roots also i mentioned that i water by weight before watering the planter feels light and after watering heavy

teen gardener

your right its not the occasional yellow leaf i;ve had many more turning brown and yellow before posting for help if this problem isn't solved soon i will have big bald spot on the base of the plant how pretty do you think that will look? not pretty at all if you ask me

i think the problem might be when i bought the plant i didnt remove the soil that it came with that soil dries out much quicker then the soil i used as you can see in the picture the soil close to the base of the plant is already starting to look drier then the soil around it so by the time the soil around it is dry the soil at the base is too dry which is why i'm getting brown leaves only at the base because the roots closest to the plant support the older the rest of the roots and leaves are fine because its in the other soil which is not drying out so quick of course this is just a theory

if this is the case i'm going to have to remove all new soil to get to the old soil remove all that lose roots in the process probably send the plant into shock and lose a few more leaves

This post was edited by Hrose on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 20:21

o

Yep, I think you've found your main problem right there.
Different textures of potting mix in the same container and uneven drying.

Josh

o

That could definitely be the problem, uneven absorption.

Yes, it's a pain in the neck, but you'll need to change the soil, to correct this problem. The good news is these are very rugged plants, almost indestructible which won't mind the change of mix & root disruption.

I think concern w/ root disruption is overrated (by others as well, not just you), I think it's far more important to correct to original problem than be concerned about shocking the plants &/or their roots.

Your last pic is most telling, the change in texture of the mix says it all. They may suffer short term for the change, but they'll be so much better off once the mix is changed!

o

I don't usually bother repotting Pothos, just chop everything off at the soil line, toss the rest, and replant the vines in all fresh soil.

o

I don't think root disturbance now is the answer, during winter, that will cause leaf drop, I'd wait until spring:-)

o

purpleinopp

i dont want to risk losing most of my plant

teengardener1888

I agree

thanks for the input everyone

o

If the roots are rotting, there's greater risk in leaving the beautiful vines attached to those than having the vines make some new roots. I would not ever give advice that I wasn't confident about, from having actually done the action many times over the years.

Wherever you see a brown bump along the stem, those are aerial root nubs. All they need to elongate into a root system is proximity to some kind of moisture. Necessity from the pre-existing roots being removed is also great for starting that process. This is how all Pothos plants exist, they are propagated by cutting off pieces and sticking them in a pot.

If you would like to see how easy it is with one piece first, that would be understandable. Remove the 2-3 leaves nearest the roots/cut to designate those to make the new roots. The distance between them is usually what I use to determine how many. If they are too far apart for the 3rd one to be submerged, there's no reason to remove 3 leaves. You can put it in water first, just the cut end enough that the root nubs are submerged, for a week or two, until the root nubs turn white, swell, and start to elongate. Longer is not necessary and the longer the new roots are, the easier they are to break. Or it could be put directly in soil, where the same thing will happen. It will grow either way, though I do usually start these in water as described since they don't wilt at all that way. It's an option for you to consider, not something I'm insisting you or anyone else must do.

There's nothing wrong with repotting old roots, but they are usually in a troubled, sickly state, otherwise, one wouldn't be in there, looking at them & repotting. I have greater confidence in new roots sustaining that beautiful foliage than rehabilitating unnecessary old ones, for this particular plant.

o

purpleinopp

i don't think the roots are rotting the problem might be that the base gets dry before the rest of the soil around it

if i see that the roots are rotting i will consider chopping the roots off and doing it your way

thanks

o

Hi.

When one part of the root-ball dries out before the rest, there is a good chance that the roots die....which then exposes the plant to rot.

When one part of the root-ball stays wet longer than the rest, there is a good chance that the roots die....which then exposes the plant to rot.

Josh

o

those are good points but doesn't apply to me

the soil at the base of the plant does dry out faster then the soil around it but i doubt that the main roots at the base of the plant are dead otherwise the whole vine would have problems taking in water and nutrients because the water and nutrients have to pass through the main roots at the base...wait a minute this doesn't make sense because it shouldn't matter if the base is dry it should still be taking up water from other places because the roots go deep down

i don't think the soil I'm using stays wet too long because i have other plants water sensitive like ficus tree and they are doing just fine in same soil

o

The title of this post confused me...am I the only one that noticed?

Christopher

o

Nope, me too. I was expecting yellow plants, but not the yellow shown here. ;-)

tj

o

How far gone am I? I SAW Pothos.

o

golden photos lol...obviously i meant to write golden **Pothos

o

Without seeing/feeling the roots, it's all speculation. The point is that something is going on or the foliage wouldn't be spoiling. Most of the suggestions are that the problem is at the roots. Since they're not turning an even yellow color, I suspect a root issue, not just dryness.

I'm not sure what to think at this point, besides that.

You said, "the problem might be that the base gets dry before the rest of the soil around it" But disregarded Josh's info about what that could cause. Kind of like disagreeing with what you said yourself? What do you think?

One thing that might apply, have the vines gotten a crimp/bend where they go over the rim of the pot? That can be a problem for dangling vines sometimes. Do you see any of that?

o

Just a thought... Whenever there is trouble in the roots, the only way a plant can tell you is with the discoloration in the leaves. It all starts with the roots.

Enjoying this thread..

Great points Tiffany!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 12:54

o

I think stem cuttings is a godo idea

o

purpleinopp

i did not disagree i said that it doesn't apply to me because if the base were getting dry and the roots were dead or dying it would show everywhere all leaves would turn colour you can not have the base/main roots die and the rest of the plant alive common sense IF the bottom roots were getting too dry and dead the rest of the plant would still survive but thats not my problem so thats why i said it didnt apply to me

i would've noticed if there was a crimp/bend and besides the leaves that are turning brown are the ones at the very top before the vines go over the rim

i think that i just wasn't watering enough i used to water every 2 weeks now i will water once a week see how it goes i will update if this solves the problems

thanks everyone

o

This thread is painful to read. Here is a summary. Hrose asks for advice. Hrose gets some advice, shoots it down, gets other advice, shoots that down too. Is advised to check the roots, ignores it, decides that it is underwatering even though nobody suggested that (why ask for help then?) Gets advised to check the roots again, rejects that too ("i doubt i will see anything wrong with them").

(How long does it take to flip it over? Five minutes including snapping pics and cleanup, I think. I've been surprised by what I see under the ground more times than I can count.)

Anyway, I am amazed and admire you all for how patient you have been here. Your time is not wasted because OTHERS, those more receptive to learning, will get good useful practical education out of this. Thank you.

/rant_over

o

I'm good with it. If a thing doesn't make sense, it's really not the fault of the reader, just that nobody has phrased the info yet in a way seems relevant. As one of the must obstinate people around, I've had to have things explained multiple times/ways many times.

"if the base were getting dry and the roots were dead or dying it would show everywhere all leaves would turn colour you can not have the base/main roots die and the rest of the plant alive"

Yes, that's very possible, and can continue for however long it takes for all of the leaves to be lost. With Pothos, when the roots can't deliver sustenance to the foliage, for whatever reason, the oldest leaves will start to be lost, while the tip remains fine-looking. If its' existing roots are compromised, the tip is designed to be able to fall and continue its' quest to take over the jungle. A good experiment would be to cut a decent size piece of vine off and see how long it takes to shrivel up. It's not like a piece of Coleus that would wilt evenly, within hours.

o

I didn't even notice that it said "photos" instead of "pothos".

I recommend that Hrose read (if he/she hasn't already) one of Al's posts on soil and drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention XVII

o

photo IMG_0074_zps2d79a803.jpg
 photo IMG_0077_zpsd3f135f0.jpg

photo IMG_0079_zpsb5be4497.jpg

photo IMG_0078_zps9d5f6ed2.jpg

photo IMG_0076_zps01fb255d.jpg

photo IMG_0075_zps2f38ca0c.jpg

photo IMG_0080_zpsda993c72.jpg

is everyone happy now? the roots look perfectly fine to me

teengardner i will keep the mother plant i see absolutely no reason not to

thorw away healthy roots and start over? for what? no thanks! i'll have you know i'm a young straight man not a she

I'm sure the problem is under watering NOT root rot but that's the first thing that comes to mind when a pothos plant has any problems and its the first thing mentioned in many other sites as well i'm not an ammature i wouldnt make the mistake of over watering

iv;e read als gritty mix i'm not going to go on a wild goose chase trying to find the ingredients for it i have no need soil works for me

o

It's unfortunate but looks from here like that mix is largely compacted ('til you watered it). I suspect that's why the larger roots are winding around the outer rootball like that, they likely can't get thru the inner part of that mix.

You didn't do it for us dude, as I recall YOU CAME ASKING FOR HELP & then declining every single thing suggested.

Good luck w/ that.

o

That's what I expected, a ball of suffocating, airless peat, though it looks worse than I thought. The only way for roots to get some oxygen in a mix like that is to let it dry out.

o

That soil is no good, the root photos tellit all, in that soil the plant looks very unhappy, the remedy(in spring is to replace all that soil. You can still take stem cuttings and keep the mother if she has healthy roots, I was personally not suggesting that you had to throw the mother away......

"teengardner i will keep the mother plant i see absolutely no reason not to

thorw away healthy roots and start over? for what? no thanks! i'll have you know i'm a young straight man not a she "

As for the gender think I am sorry for assuming gender with no reference......im not trying to enfuriate anyone....please stop playing the victim we are trying to help YOU...... you came for help and we are trying to HELP.. not annoy. If you cant accept help \suggestions than maybe this forum is not for you

*I mean these words in the upmost respect

o

Which is it: does soil work for you, or are the leaves turning yellow and brown?

I too have not done the legwork (which in my case would mean either mail-order or car rental) to get the ingredients for gritty mix. But that doesn't mean I think plants can thrive in peat pudding. You can get sidewalk sand and from a hardware store, put it through a colander, and use the fine part on the sidewalk. Or you can get perlite wherever peat pudding is sold. Or you can buy overpriced aquarium gravel from a pet-supply store.

o

My favorite potting mix is miracle grow, which may be controversal for my pothos, with the idea they dont like to be wet, but mines thrives in it, i just manage watering CAREFULLY.. some people may suggest adding additional drainage material, and i do have a bag of perlite, but i didnt take the time to do that and it is still thriving, after a few months

BUT that peat pudding the pothos are in is probally too acidic and it also get waterlogged easily. As other have said, the roots are gasping for air and are on the blink of rotting. I know im repeating what others have said but thats because it is correct :)

...........solutions are listed in previous post. Please take their advice, they are very experienced people who want to help.

o

Perhaps some folks here could use a reminder that one can lead a horse to water, but one can't make them drink.

Much more productive to spend time elsewhere (tho' I DO appreciate the Poster who mentioned that others more open to learning can still benefit from this).

Can't say we didn't try.

o

TG, these kind of problems don't usually show up in just a few months. Often right about the 1-year mark...

Let's remember though, the plant does want to have constant moisture. But oxygen must be present at the same time or rot is what usually happens. Forcing plants to dry beyond natural preference to compensate for that puts them in an unnecessarily difficult position, always under stress.

o

I've changed my watering schedule from once every two weeks to once every week

I will update if or if not this solves my brown yellow leaf problem

thanks everyone for your patience and advice but i will go with what i think is the best solution for my plants

thanks again

This post was edited by Hrose on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 15:59

o
RE: golden Pothos

Any Bob Ross fans? It's your happy little plant, in your happy little world, you put it where you want it, you decide how it should be.

Hrose, sending good vibes! I'm sure everyone wishes the best for your plants and if you don't feel any confidence about something it's much less likely to go well even if that's what everybody else would do without any problem. Plants take up vibes from their people.

To introduce some air into your existing root ball, you could take a bamboo skewer and poke some holes down into the soil, a less radical-sounding tactic that you might feel more comfortable with. You might poke up through the drain holes at first, to see how it feels for you.

Another thing that could help is a slight extra effort to get rid of excess water after watering. If there's holes around the rim at the bottom (not just 1 in the middle,) you can tilt the pot toward one of the holes. I think you'll be surprised how much more water comes out.

Taking the same pic from the same angle once a week, the best way to gauge growth or progression of possible illness. A before/after is good, but progression is better. You've got a good start documenting what it's doing.

What about the suggestion to cut 1 piece of vine to see how it's done - how it can make roots and become an autonomous plant of its' own? Dip your toe in, instead of the high dive?

If you decide you'd like to think about trying some propagation, here's a visual. The two removed leaves would be submerged to allow the root nubs to turn into the new roots. Doing this in spring is when most would tackle it anyway, so you're in good and abundant company if you're just thinking about doing stuff like that at this time of year, kicking some ideas around, but not actually doing much.

o

purpleinopp are you trying to be funny?

I know how propagation of this plant is done I'm already doing some to stick on top where i lost some healthy leafs i will wait until roots show on the cuttings then stick them in the soil right after watering the plant

photo IMG_0085_zps2d205694.jpg

photo IMG_0086_zps6986d923.jpg

This post was edited by Hrose on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 17:35

o

Hrose. Have you got a plan as to how you are going to wean the water roots into strong growing soil roots? Why not just grow proper strong soil roots instead?

o

Hrose,
I hardly think Purple was trying to be funny in the manner you are asking (rude funny). If that were the case, don't you think she wouldn't have bothered showing you how to propagate your Pothos or give you pointers on aerating your soil?

Maybe you should hang around the House Plants forum some more before you take such a defensive stance to comments made. I've never seen Purple rudely respond to anyone on here (even when they probably needed a tongue lashing).

You seem to know so much about your plant, I'm not sure why you bothered asking questions to start with.

Planto

o
RE: Green POTHOS -- golden photos

Planto -- I tried to EM you thru GW, but that's not enabled on your Member Page. Could you pls. adjust that?

Thanks,

(PG) Karen

o

PG,
Okay, after some finagling I got EM enabled.

Planto

o

Whenever someone asks if you are trying to be funny, the objectively correct answer is always no. Either an attempt failed, to which admission would be undesirable and degrading, or intent was misunderstood, obviously incorrect.

Why make the inference that the propagation suggestion would ruin your plant if you are such an old pro at doing it?

In the pics of your cuttings, the cuts seem to have been made arbitrarily. In the pic I showed with the pencil, at the left end, the cut was made so that a node is left at the end. You can see the cut ends turning brown in your pics. The lengths of stem beyond the last node can only rot. Having rot attached to cuttings is never a good idea. The look like nice-size pieces though.

I do usually start these in water, briefly as mentioned above (I think.) When the brown aerial root nubs turn white and swollen, you can see they have 'gotten the message' and are ready for soil.

o

Why do people haved to be so rude when other people are trying to help. We didnt know you knew how to do stem cuttings, i didnt know you were a male.....no need to snap on people, just explain how it really is politely... "saying purpleinopp are you trying to be funny?" , is a rude assumtion of one of the nicest people i know tryinng to help YOU and give YOU advice. I know that I am young, but I learned the hard way about being polite to other people on gardenweb.....no I am not picking a fight but im upset you snapped on purpleinopp

What pirate girl said about the horse think is so true in thi post.........................have a good day :)

o

TY, TG. I appreciate your support, I'm fine. One shouldn't believe everything they read on the internet, skepticism is healthy and good. Confirming info through experience and coinciding anecdotes is a healthy way to investigate if a change of thought or action is warranted.

If two people walk up to a cliff and one says, it's 500 ft drop so we can't go that way, don't bother going any farther, the other will probably believe, but still want to see it, to make up their own mind.

o

Hey Purple!

I'm back to say I learned something new here from you in this discussion. I never knew to trim the bottom of Pothos just under a node; I've always left at least a couple of inches of stem in there while water rooting. So thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try it as you suggested. I usually keep several cups of these cuttings in water in my bathroom, for some green & a flash of color. So I've got plenty of cuttings to experiment on.

Fredman,

I've done it in water for years, never had trouble transitioning them to soil. I start many Hoyas that was as well. I know they supposedly have different types of roots, water roots vs. soil roots, but I rarely have trouble w/ this. I know many people who start them this way too.

o

Yeah, the only trouble I've had with stuff taking root in water (that's known to do so easily) is that rotting tip sometimes, especially if I'm doing a good job of ignoring it.

I just wish the white one I got in trade (pearls'n'jade or 'njoy?) would grow as fast as the 'regular' yellow-variegated kind. Everybody's impatient, right? It's only been a few months, LOL! No wonder this kind isn't everywhere - yet. It really does seem slower, though I'm having a hard time being objective.

o

***UPDATE***

since i've changed my watering from once every 2 weeks to once every week i have not seen any leaves turning brown and yellow

i am certain that my problem was UNDER WATERING

theres this one leaf you can see in the picture with brown spot i was sure it would turn yellow and drop like so many others but since i changed my watering the brown stopped dead in its tracks and the rest of the leaf now remains healthy green

good thing other wise i'd be "chopping up roots" poking holes in the soil changing soil for newer fancy soil

for future google searches Golden Pohtos plants are easy to grow

1 you need basic indoor potting soil

2 don't over water don't under water drainage holes

3 plenty of indirect sunlight

This post was edited by Hrose on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 19:19

o

i did not want to get involved in this heated discussion... but i have smth to add, i think.
i don't repot often, and certainly NOT golden pothos. i've got plants going n-th generations from cuttings (am talking golden pothos specifically) from '96. they are doing fine. they do fine with repot ev 4-5 yrs may be. no need to exert yrselves that much, folks!
...i've had this one in n-th pot ..very shallow in 17" by 6" box going fantastically for 4-5 yrs.. until it started showing signs similar to yours, hrose. i let it decline for sev months , it got worse and worse. FINALLY i repotted. normal total bare root disturbance is BAD - i bag it for sev months until it finally recovers. and it did, eventually. it took the whole summer...
so ... in my view, do not repot, until absolutely necessary - 4yr? may be in 12" pot. with feed and good light of course.
mine was at least as big as yours. so...i think you might have to repot some time soon...may be if you see further yellowing even with good watering schedule.
just saying... keep an eye on it!

o

here's what another member had to say

"Posted by theficuswrangler 9/10 (marlie.graves@gmail.com) on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 13:47
Hi DS
I've been an interior landscaper for 30 years, and I have to consider myself pretty much an expert on pothos, having cared for ten's of thousands of them in all sorts of light conditions, etc. Pothos are pretty tough little customers, so they're good for beginners to experiment with. When their roots are staying too wet for too long, the first sign you will see is browning on the edges of the leaf stems (the stems that attach the leaves to the "vines"); the next sign will be small brown tips on many leaves, newer and older both. Conversely, if its not getting enough water, the older leaves will turn yellow."

I used to water until the soil got so dry that it turned colour from black to whitish like what happens to the ground in server droughts

Now i water whenever the black soil feels dry to touch

This post was edited by Hrose on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 22:49

o

as plant gets larger - it'll need more water too. and as the root ball gets more compacted it might be harder to rewet it once it's bone dry. i add 1tsp of 3% peroxide to 1.5qt of water to help oxyginate the roots in 'old pots' that are compacted: not my own idea, read about it. well, i do it for all my plants :).
also it helps to water in stages: give it some, wait 20 min , add more. prevents soggy medium, since water is absorbed and not saturates the soil continuously.
i also put one of my VERY large ones on self-watering wick, it helps a lot when i am away. it is in a rather small pot too, so very densely packed - am keeping it like that for a couple years.
we've been talking about how to grow larger leaves in this thread below - might be of interest to you.
the pic of my wicked ;) plant is around may 21 2013 about half-way down. it is in a nursery 1gal pot (best surviving vines from 17"x6" box), potted last spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: epipremnum/vines thread

o

I agree that they are tough, but i much peferr their distant cousant, Philodendron hederaceum, especially the Brasil CULTIVAR, WHICH IS LIKE A POTHOS BUT GROWS WITH LESS LIGHT, LESS CARE AND HONESTLY I THINK IT IS PRETTIER. sorry for the CAPS VARIANT, MY Keyboard is broken

o

"please teengaradener no need to get your panties in a bunch" ??? This is not a nice thing to say, and a strange over-reaction to what was said. TG's a guy, BTW, so panties don't apply.

"mine is better looking" Besides an example of a cutting, there are no pics in this discussion belonging to anyone else. Everyone has agreed, your plant looks lovely.

You might check out 'hot topics' forum if an argument is what interests you.

o

I have had the problem with browning leaves on some Pothos that I bought for my daughter in Chicago, and it turned out it was caused by low temperatures in her drafty apartment. Chicago is COLD. They can take a lot of drought, but they don't like drafts. Mine here in Brooklyn are fine.

o

photo IMG_0141_zpsfa2d6936.jpg

photo IMG_0140_zpse245c841.jpg

photo IMG_0139_zpsc56b4d3b.jpg
 photo IMG_0138_zps96a622bc.jpg

photo IMG_0137_zps051e42b5.jpg

photo IMG_0134_zps90947351.jpg

photo IMG_0133_zpse2f6d178.jpg

o

Have to admit your pothos is gorgeous.But, aren't you glad you took cuttings just in case? I killed one with overwatering but it was outside for the summer.I'm just kind of surprised that you didn't check the roots out yourself first and post the pic way back. It's one of the first things I always do when I think a plant is
going downhill. Glad your plant made a comeback .I picked up some info. from the thread so glad you posted.

o

Oh gosh- just saw your in Canada and the plant is by what looks like a sliding door--- Cold??? If it continues or gets worse after watering more as you think it needs maybe that could be a factor?

o

I wish to avoid arguments, and do let me say that we both have now thought we were females, so guess that makes up for my false idea, im not the least offended. I will admit his pothos is one of the prettiest i have ever seen

o

photo IMG_0163_zps310c38f6.jpg

photo IMG_0167_zpsc82e0bec.jpg

o

Not an expert on this but are the last two pics of a ZZ?

o

Yes, Caro, those are in fact ZZ plants, Zamioculcas zamiifolia

This post was edited by pumpkineater2 on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 22:56

o

yeah they look like rose finches there is a few different finches there also saw red cardinal mourning dove and another type of finch had a white belly

the bird feeder is a lunch box from the dollar store the stings with clips came with my golden pothos planter and the bird feeder wall pole which i tied to the fence with metal wire

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Esteem-60500-36-Inch-Extended/dp/B002I5NO1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390917609&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+feeder+wall+pole

squirrels dont bother me much theres only a couple that come around once in a while eat a few sunflowers seeds and leave

o

Thanks for the information. My Mom has a hard time already dealing with the squirrels using her "normal" bird feeder. Sadly, as nifty of an idea as I think you've made there, the more I think about it... if I made that for my Mom, all the squirrels in the neighborhood would probably come to her house, haha! It was a good idea while it lasted (me making her one of those bird feeders). If the squirrels aren't eating her bird seed, they're digging up some of her plants (at least we think that its squirrels... might be the chipmunks!)

One of my folks' neighbors used to have an apple tree. We'd find half eaten apples in our yard sometimes and I thought what butt keeps throwing half-eaten apples in the yard? Come to find out, the squirrels were carrying them over and munching on them. *Boy*

We must have some crazy squirrels... my Dad caught one of them chewing on the metal toolbox he has on his truck. You wouldn't believe the number of places they had chewed the metal. I didn't think metal was in their diet. ;)

On a different note, I think the most interesting bird I've seen around here was a Cedar Waxwing. I saw a flock of them outside my folks' house one day. First and last time I've seen them; Red Cardinals are more common here I guess. This isn't my picture below, I found it on a website (http://henryehooper.wordpress.com/witness-post-waxwing/)

What's the most interesting bird you've seen?

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 12:10

o

i just started bird feeding about a month ago i consider myself lucky if i see cardinal or blue jay i saw a wood pecker the other day but wasn't interested in my feeder dnt think i'll ever see fancy birds like in the picture they dont come up north

i don't have a problem with squirrels yet but these damn English/house sparrows are becoming a problem too many of them hogging the feeder damn the person that introduced this bird into non native lands i will hang fishing wire from the feeder hope it scares them off

o

Oh okay. I only see something "special" every once in a blue moon. Mostly finches, cardinals, the usual. I usually only get to see birds when I'm driving around haha. Yeah, sparrows can be a nuisance. My Mom used to have a bird house that housed blue birds, but they got ran out by some sparrows.

Planto

o

the other day i was driving i saw a snow owl i see alot of hawks around here too one day i got out of the house and there was a falcon eating a pigeon on my driveway took off once it saw me i was left to clean all the pigeon feathers

o

Wow, a snow owl, I haven't seen one of those before. I've seen Barn owls before, but they're such an uncommon sight around here. We have red tailed hawks... Never had one eat a pigeon and leave it for me to clean up lol.

Planto

o

photo IMG_0377_zps22911242.jpg
 photo IMG_0378_zpsc866c6b5.jpg
 photo IMG_0387_zps6f0869da.jpg
 photo IMG_0388_zpscaddf186.jpg
 photo IMG_0389_zps8bdd025c.jpg
 photo IMG_0390_zps333cc3a4.jpg
 photo IMG_0391_zps7809183e.jpg
 photo IMG_0393_zps2836ff59.jpg
 photo IMG_0394_zps6c2c261e.jpg

o

photo IMG_0398_zps2f514c0f.jpg

photo IMG_0400_zps99256f9e.jpg

photo IMG_0404_zps4c805026.jpg

photo IMG_0406_zpscbf5633b.jpg

photo IMG_0405_zpsa7151aad.jpg

photo IMG_0403_zps5568e427.jpg

photo IMG_0402_zps1201fc22.jpg

photo IMG_0401_zpsf1f19d4b.jpg

photo IMG_0408_zpsd5d1e22f.jpg

photo IMG_0407_zps5dbe5cd9.jpg

photo IMG_0409_zpsf295aefd.jpg

o

LOL-
Hrose- you really enjoy that plant! Are you going to do red lights and hearts for Valentine's and maybe green lights and shamrocks for St. Pats?
I've seen snowy owls twice. Years ago I showed Alaskan Malamutes and used to condition them by having them pull a sled on the trails behind my house. This one day a huge one swooped right over us and down the trail. The wing span was unbelievable. Just glad he didn't land on my head.
The other time my husband and I were taking a back road short-cut and this owl was flying erratically from tree to tree. Totally strange behavior. Reached our destination( a restaurant) and learned there had just been an earthquake. Shook the glasses right off the shelves. Guess we didn't feel it because we were in a moving vehicle. This rarely happens here. The poor owl was probably wondering why the trees wouldn't stay still.

o

"Hrose- you really enjoy that plant! Are you going to do red lights and hearts for Valentine's and maybe green lights and shamrocks for St. Pats? "

good ideas! will post pictures if i do

o

photo IMG_0515_zps4ca76f74.jpg

photo IMG_0514_zpscc363ae5.jpg

photo IMG_0512_zpsc52a0e13.jpg
 photo IMG_0511_zps3c87f4a1.jpg

photo IMG_0506_zps09523c7b.jpg

photo IMG_0505_zps488d2fcc.jpg

photo IMG_0504_zps8866b4e8.jpg
 photo IMG_0502_zpseb1d33c7.jpg

photo IMG_0501_zps2ed95067.jpg

hmmm i wonder what colour i should do next

o

Yellow to match the yellow in the leaves and to remind you of the sun on cloudy and cold days!

MIke

o

no, green for st.pats next...;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here