Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfrisbie_gw

Green Dried Leaves on Fiddle Leaf Fig

cfrisbie
10 years ago

I bought a fiddle leaf fig for the office about three weeks ago. It was re potted in a bigger pot at the nursery with a high quality organic soil. The fig gets moderate indirect light at this time of year and I have been supplementing it with a type of "grow" light. The first couple of days it was fine and now it's leaves are drying but not turning brown at a rapid rate. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Do you have it next to a heat source or door leading outside it looks like temperature damage to me

• cfrisbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is probably 10 feet from a door leading outside. I'm in MT so that does make sense. Is it doomed? What can I do to bring it back?

• trilliumfae
    10 years ago

Isn't that funny? Today I noticed my lovely creeping fig, that appeared fine a week ago has turned rough and crispy too. I wonder how long this has been creeping onto it, because it looks fine (green, normal leaf appearance and plant structure) so I wouldn't have thought it was having an issue. I only noticed today because I noticed a couple of leaves curling and touched them to find them thoroughly dried. Then I went on a touching spree and found the whole plant mostly dried, like preserved greenery. Not turning yellow or brown, but staying green and feeling as though it went through a desiccant chamber. I've been watering it every couple of days because it does not lose water quickly. Mine is not near a heater or a cold window. So I'm not sure what happened here. :/

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

How cold was it when you bought your plant? How many times have you watered? Have you fertilized? What kind of light are you using? Drain hole in the pot? - I'm assuming yes because of the collection saucer, but thought I'd ask.

In most cases, problems are related to one of 3 or 4 of the plant's basic requirements. They like good light, like it warm, don't like to be under or over watered or fertilized - with heavy emphasis on the 'over' part. No one can really do any more than guess, by looking at the picture, at least w/o some additional info.

Al

• cfrisbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was probably 35-40 degrees F. I have watered it two times since I got it 3 weeks ago and I have not fertilized. And yes on the drain hole. I would say the most likely thing it could be suffering from is the temperature. It is probably between 60-65 degrees in the office this time of year. I just moved it further away from the door but it is still about 4 feet from two windows.

10 years ago

Losing foliage to chill injury might not be fun, but it's a whole lot better than losing it to root rot - so there's a bit of a bright side. Try to keep your plant warm and in good light. The risk of overwatering has just risen dramatically, so be sure your soil is just barely damp before you water again. Use a wooden dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener to stick deep into the soil to test for moisture - it's a good tell - better than a "moisture meter".

At 60-65*, and low light, your plant isn't going to do much growing, so be patient. Again, be careful about over-watering - that's important.

Al

• cfrisbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now all of the leaves are dead. Can it stay alive until spring (better light and temps) without being able to photosynthesize?

10 years ago

Absolutely ....... if you don't over-water it. Think 'soil BARELY damp" - about as moist as a well wrung out sponge. Put it somewhere warm away from a direct heat source & check the soil moisture weekly with a 1/4 or 5/16" wooden dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener. It was healthy when it took the hit, so it has lots of stored energy in the roots & cambial tissues - that will be the energy it sources to push the new growth.

Al