Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattirose4_gw

Anthurium fertilizer

pattirose4
14 years ago

I have been giving my anthurium a 24-8-16 fertilizer, I water weekly - weakly. I have just bought some orchid fertilizer 19-31-17 for my orchids and was wondering if my anthurium may like that better? I have lots of healthy foliage but no blooms since I bought it (in bloom) almost a year ago.

Comments (23)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Patti, the first fertilizer you were feeding your Anthurium with is very high nitrogen, therefore, it helps leaf production, but not flowering. Switch to a fertilizer with a higher middle number. 5-10-5, 10-15-10, etc.
    What color are its flowers.
    Anthuriums need bright light to bloom..not direct summer sun. And as much humidity as you can provide..

One other thing..Depending on where you live, if you're in a cool/cold climate, Anthuriums don't need fertilizer during cloudy, winter months.

It's possible you have a summer flowering Anthurium, though some types bloom year round. Did you buy yours in winter? Toni

• pattirose4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I read quite a few posts when I first got it and many people said theirs bloom year round so I just assumed mine should too if it was happy. Thanks for the info on the fertilizer, I water everything with one fertilizer so maybe that explains why my orchids and Christmas cactus have lots of healthy foliage and no blooms either, lol! I will definitely not do that anymore.

The anthurium had red blooms, it's the standard variety that they sell at all the big box stores, I bought it July 15th so I guess it hasn't been a year yet, it just seems like I've had it forever and it is my favorite plant and the most healthy, aside from not blooming. I have it in a West window but I'm in Canada so there's not alot of strength to the sun and in the winter it doesn't get more than a hour or two of full sun every day as we don't get alot of overcast days here. I will pull it back from the window this summer and stop fertilizing in the winter. Thanks a million!

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

It's probably more a light issue than a fertilizer issue. Some additional artificial light would probably not hurt, especially given the season and your location.

• pattirose4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am supplementing most of my other plants, I just started this week and my small Thanksgiving cactus is already budding and blooming after only a few days in front of a couple CFLs. I haven't put one on the Anthurium yet as it's in a different room but I think I might try that too along with the different fertilizer.

When I pot it up in the spring could I pot it in sphagnum or am I better off with potting soil? Right now it's tight in the pot and almost all roots, I still have it double potted because it came that way.

• penfold2
    14 years ago

It is probably a matter of light, temperature, or maturity, but not fertilizer. Studies have shown that the majority of plant species take up N-P-K in approximately a 3:1:2 ratio, so your 24-8-16 is perfect. High phosphorus fertilizers (so-called bloom boosting formulas) are made only because of the demand created by the common misconception that high phosphorus levels increase blooming. No plant on earth (blooming or not) has ever been found to use more phosphorus than nitrogen or potassium. So the middle number should always be the smallest. High phosphorus fertilizers can even be detrimental because the excess phosphorus will never be used and simply increases the likelihood of fertilizer burn if it is not flushed out regularly.

Also, any plant that is growing should be fertilized, regardless of the season. Dormant plants do not need fertilizer, but will not be harmed by a light dose as long as they are flushed regularly.

Here is a whole lot of information on fertilizing if you care to know more.

Fertilizer Program for Containerized Plants

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Patti, everyone made good points, and of course, we all care for our plants as we see fit..

The only plants that gets a low dose of fertilizer from Feb to Oct are my Geraniums..they're in south windows placed under 'artificial' light. 5 hours plus per night.

Since your leaves are healthy, vibrant green, obviously your Anthurium is getting sufficient nitrogen. But if you would like to see flowers, too, I suggest using a flowering-type fertilizer in addition to artificial light.

Patti, IL has little sun in winter, similiar to Canada. So in order for our plants to make it through 'this boring season' we need to suppliment light, humidity, and adequate watering.

So, for the time being, if you place your Anthurium under lights and/or closer to the brightest window, you should see flowers. I'd start fertilizing w/a flowering fert, half-strength in late Feb early March. Daily misting and weekly showering increase humidity and keep leaves clean..'if you see buds, stop spraying.' Humidifers are very helpful for plants, people and pets.
    One thing I do 'w/certin plants' is, alternate feedings..Especially with Orchids and Bird of Paradise. One feeding they get an All-Purpose food, the second feeding 'Flowering food.' Throughout their growing season. Determining whether or not your plant should be fertilized is, once a plant stops sending out new growth, they're ready for a nap. Dormancy depends on the type of plant and climate.

One more thing..Anthuriums are more likely to bloom when rootbound, so unless roots are growiing out of drainage holes and on top of soil, it's best keeping them in the same container. Good luck, Toni

• pattirose4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for all your replies, they are all very much appreciated.
    My Anthurium thanks you also :)

• kristihongisto_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I live in Wisconsin and recieved my Anthurium for a birthday gift in July. When I recieved my lovely plant it had the beautiful red blooms. The friend that gave it to me purchased it from Wal-mart where we all know they are inside in air conditioning. My plant bloomed for a VERY short time. I recently went to the dr's where they had one in a small pot on the counter which had blooms. Do you think its the florecent lights? I know these places are not humid or 80 degrees nor do they recieve natural light. PLEASE oh PLEASE give me some advice other than setting a space heater or a humidifier (spelling)...its coming on summer time and well my house is hot enough LOL

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hello Kristi..What day is your b-day? Mine is the 11th.

The thing about Walmart and other big box stores..plants, even blooming plants sit on a shelf for a short time. Because Walmart's prices are cheaper than say, Home Depot, their plants go fast.

Anthurium flowers should last several months. I bought an Anthurium from Walmart about five years ago.. 3.00! It bloomed about 8 months.

Anthuriums like to be slightly pot-bound. Start using a flowering fertilizer or alternate, All-Purpose one month then Flowering Fertililzer the second month.

Is your Anthurium under lights without natural sun? Although they don't need direct sun, they prefer bright light. Additional florescent light will benefit.

Since you've had it 10 months, you're probably watering right.

More sun, plus artificial, and a flowering fertilizer should produce blooms.
    Mist leaves daily, 'for humidity,' and place on a pebble tray..You don't have to run out and spend a fortune. Place stones/marbles on the bottom of a saucer, set the pot on top, and add a little water inside the saucer w/stones. Also, take to the sink and hose leaves, without hitting soil, once a week or so.
    Depending on type, some Anthuriums are, or seem to be, winter bloomers. My A, Crystal blooms from Nov/Dec into spring. Then stop. Toni

• dellis326 (Danny)
    12 years ago

Many nurserys treat their plants with Gibberellic acid to induce and enhance flowering. Once that works its way out of the plants system it may need a recovery period, so to speak, to return to it's natural cycle of flowering which is also effected by the light, temperature and humidity.

Plants like anthuriums and spathiphyllum and many others do not flower all the time, only for a couple of months a year, some hybrids may have been bred to flower more then that but still, not all the time.

Danny

• pattirose4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been a year and a half since I made the original post and my anthurium looks great, aside from a couple small holes in a few leaves. It looks like something is eating it, I sprayed it with soap last night and am going to wash each leaf (both sides) today and maybe spray it again in a few days.

I supplemented the western exposure with a couple CFLs in the winter and I continued with the weekly, weakly fertilizer and flush it beforehand each time. I have been rotating the fertizer between the 3 that I have on hand but it usually gets orchid fertizer. I don't let it dry out and keep it more on the moist side. Once it finally bloomed it has kept blooming, not alot but a constant 2-4 blooms. It is still in the same double pot but I did trim the roots a little and added some sphag to the top and bottom.

I will take a picture and post it as soon as I finish washing the leaves.

• pattirose4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of the plant, hopefully this works - if not my apologies...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/pattirose4/anthurium/ANTHURIUM002.jpg

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Here is Patti's plant:

{{gwi:70347}}

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I'd just like to state a few things. Flowering anthuriums do not need to be root-bound. They actually grow bigger when given enough space for their roots to fill. Here, in Trinidad, they are sometimes grown in the ground under the shade of a tree. Special bloom inducing fertilizer is not needed. Any general fertilizer will do. There are no special blooming periods. Plants in good health will bloom perpetually. Most importantly, they must receive adequate light, but never direct sun, in order to bloom.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

The bloom cycle of most plants is controlled by photo-period, more specifically night length - not day length, so most plants, even if maintained in perfect health, won't bloom perpetually. I also think that being a little more scientific about fertilizer choice offers the grower more than hope that they are choosing something that isn't inherently limiting when selecting a fertilizer. All fertilizers aren't created equal.

Al

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

I've been growing anthuriums for close to twenty years and the andreanum and andreacola types bloom perpetually.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Trini is quite correct in that most Anthuriums in the market place are basically ever blooming. They will bloom all year if the conditions are right. So will Spathiphyllums and African Violets, just to name a couple of other houseplants. These plants will perform without special lighting.

10 years ago

When you said "Plants in good health will bloom perpetually", I applied it broadly to all plants, not realizing you were speaking specifically. My apologies.

Al

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

It's okay Al. No worries.

• kasun_madus
    8 years ago

Hi,

I have more than 300 anthurium cut flower plants. But there are many algae. They harm to my plants. And the growing speed also very slow. I used albert's solution and osmocote as well. Can anyone please help me to solve these things?

Thank You..

• kasun_madus
    8 years ago

I normally used small chips of coconut husk to grow my plants. And the all my pots has been made from cement. And no matter about water supplying system. Because its raining more than two days for week. And I have used a net house also.

8 years ago

CHCs may have very high salinity, and they have an extremely high K content you need to keep in mind. Their pH is too high to consider using dolomitic lime as a Ca/Mg source, so you'll need to figure out how the get those elements to your plants w/o using lime (usually gypsum and Epsom salts are the preferred choices). Also, because of the high pH issue, you'll want to use an acid forming fertilizer or find a way to acidify your irrigation water. Citric or sulfuric acid sufficient to bring it down to somewhere between 5.0-5.5 would be good. The cement planters are also probably contributing to high pH - another reason to consider acidification.

Al