{{gwi:70412}}

{{gwi:70413}}

{{gwi:70414}}

{{gwi:70415}}

{{gwi:70416}}

Comments (81)

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

I still haven't figured out how to include a picture, so I'll likely get my teenager or a colleague with far better computer skills than mine to figure it out. Thank you, Toni, for your concern. Hopefully some of my plants will pop up in pictures soon.

Rodden

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I got this jasmine from cuttings. This cutting rooted shortly after I placed it in water. A second one did not root until one year later. Their fragrance is a little like sweet green tea - well, maybe, I was having Jasmine Tea ... The smell is sweet and pleasant for the cold winter.

{{gwi:70443}}

{{gwi:70444}}

{{gwi:70445}}

{{gwi:70446}}

{{gwi:70447}}

{{gwi:70448}}

{{gwi:70449}}

I also have this Amaryllis/Hippeastrum "Apple Blossom". It looks so beautiful in pictures. In real life, I prefer the all red ones though. This color is a little too light for me.

{{gwi:70450}}

{{gwi:70451}}

{{gwi:70452}}

{{gwi:70453}}

{{gwi:70454}}

{{gwi:70456}}

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 17:43

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Juju..I think I am mssing something..?

I don't see where you say what part of the world or zone you live in. Is it tropical or very cold where you live? Do you grow them fragrant little trees indoors? Or what is your MOST fragrant plant in those pictures is....

I hear the 'winter sweet' is very powerful. If so I want to get one.

All those plants you posted are either tropicals or perennials up here. All mine would still be dormant unless I put them into a warm home after a few weeks of dormancy.

Thank you...

Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I grow the fragrant little trees indoors in winter and outdoors in summer. Yes, the winter sweet is the most powerful.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, also, in winter, the day temperature of my house is 23 Celsius (73 F) and night temperature is 20 Celsius (68 F). I have South, West, East and North facing windows at 3 levels.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Juju..What a bunch of beautiful plants to get you through winter! I am particularly fond of fragrant ones//I think about 90% of my plants are fragrant....I'll have to take pics soon.

Thanks for your response...I too have a few plants in pots that I can't wait to see bud out...

Laura, did I ever tell you how crazy I am about your plumeria? Wonderful job with them even this time of the year!

Everyone's plants are so nice to look at.

Hey Toni!!! Hope you and your family stay strong through your tough times..Much love from us here at home.

MIke

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well this discussion is already packed with beautiful blooms! Very cool plants out there!

I dropped this plant Saturday (OMG what a mess in the bathroom!) and like 2 days later flowers popped out - go figure! Dragon wing Begonia.

10 years ago

Shown in previous months, but still blooming.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, wax Begonia that was a cutting put in this pot about a month ago. (And the Peperomia dolabriformis doesn't seem able to grow roots from a leaf...)

10 years ago

Also held over from last month, Easter cactus (Hatiora gaertneri.) The same flower is still opening/closing daily (from 1/30 when it first popped open.) It looks funny because I had to turn the brightness and shadows way up for the pic to have any color.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms.

Love them all.

ð Thank you , Mike!!

One more Blooming right now.

Embers.

Laura

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely Cyclamen. They actually can grow from seeds.

{{gwi:70460}}

• tpick
    10 years ago

Violets,and 3 babies I started

• tpick
    10 years ago

Violet

• veimar
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful blooms! I have to add mine too - it was such a surprise yesterday when I noticed my pink primrose opening some yellow flowers! :)

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

What a lovely tour! Thx all for brightening my day!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by surya55 7a ny (My Page) on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 3:16

I love cineria. Can these come from seeds?

{{gwi:70464}}

{{gwi:70466}}

{{gwi:70468}}

{{gwi:70470}}

{{gwi:70472}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes but the seeds are not easy to find

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy,

My Begonia is nothing compared to others plants on this thread, but it's still in bloom.

Now the test...see if it'll download.

{{gwi:70474}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 14:49

Toni, your begonia is lovely. Is that Gardenia at the bottom?

Bergenia

{{gwi:70476}}

{{gwi:70478}}

{{gwi:70480}}

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 22:06

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These somewhat look like cat's tail.

{{gwi:70482}}

{{gwi:70484}}

The sweet scents are wafting, a ton of narcissus Chinese sacred lilies:

{{gwi:70485}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:70486}}

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

This is not a great picture nor is this blossom outstanding, but this is the first Gold Dust Dracena I have ever given a home to. I snagged it from Lowe's in a ceramic pot for $2 when the plant was about 5 inches tall. It is now well over a foot and is sporting four clusters of blossoms. What a great surprise for me.

Not only is this "February Blooms" post highlighting some great blooms but some incredible photography as well--both of which are inspirations! I really appreciate all the great pictures people have sent in.

Rodden Blessed

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Rodden, I love your Gold-Dust Dracaena. Plus you got it to bloom.

Is the flower fragrant?

My Gold-Dust is getting by but no show plant and forget flowers.

I find Gold-Dust much fussier than other Dracaenas. What about you?
    Would you say your plant is less hardy then a Corn Plant or Janet Craig? Toni

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hi Flower Pot Tipper,

That is a nice Columnea 'Light Prince'! Just to let you know though. Columneas are not considered Lipstick plants. Lipstick plants are Aeschynanthuses.

Larry

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Larry...Hoping you are doing well and your orchids!

Hi Toni..Hope you are well too!

MIke

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

Toni,
    My nose isn't very good, but I don't smell much of anything from my Gold Dust blooms. They certainly are not spectacular blooms, but they are unique in their diminutive and unassuming nature. I think there is a good chance that people who don't pay a lot of attention to their plants may not even notice the blooms of a Gold Dust.
    The only other dracena I have is a ribbon dracena that was in horrible shape that I rescued, and it is still on a very slow mend, so I can't really say much about which one is more difficult. The Gold Dust has simply done well in its location and pot. I have never fertilized it and have used strictly rain water on it. It sits next to my computer monitor and there is a south-facing window within 2.5 feet. Other than that and a lot of hope and appreciation for it, I haven't done much. I think it's just so happy to be out of the sunless shelves at Lowes and into a "home" that it has done well.
    Is a Gold Dust usually hard to get to bloom? I have very little experience with the dracenas.
    It's sunny here in NE Oklahoma, so I'm going to head home and shovel up the last of my snow pile into a bucket as I am almost out of plant water.
    Are you an author, Toni?

Rodden Blessed

• audrey_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful photos, everybody! I especially liked the furry cactus and blue and white cineraria. My littlest fuchsia has been blooming under the lights too, and my forced tulips just started. I'm not sure whether they are technically houseplants, but they are in the house and plants!
    {{gwi:70487}}
    {{gwi:70488}}
    {{gwi:70489}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

RB..Funny, I can't smell the scent of Hoyas like some.
    Dracaena scent permeates the air..Some people can't tolerate its fragrance, I think the smell is heavenly.

I don't have D. Ribbon, but in my experience, it did best in water..

You said, people might not pay attention to their plants so they miss a bloom. That's why I asked if yours was fragrant. :)
    My Gold dust is in an area I can't miss it, even as i sit here typing....it's doing okay, no show plant.

No, I'm not an author..lol..I'd like to change my screen name, but don't know how to go about it.

Audrey. Both your plants are doing well.
    Well, tulips are normally grown outside, but since it's inside and a house, it's a house plant.
    More than likely it will need a garden next year to get flowers. Or the use of your refrigerator.

Fuchias are typically grown outdoors, but they're sold as indoor or house plants, too.
    If you can keep a Fuchia, you're good with plants.

Technically, all plants are outdoor plants, when you think about it. Tropical, succulent, bulbs, annuals, perennials, etc, were originally grown outdoors, in one or another part of the world..

We've trained plants to live indoors naming them house plants.

Actually, I potted two different Gold Dust together. One is like yours, the second is called variegated..Variegated looks like standard GD, gold dots and has a stripe down the center..The stripe is long gone..

• paul_
    10 years ago

A few more:

{{gwi:70490}}

Color is quite accurate on this one:

{{gwi:70491}}

One of my favorite orchid genera -- the flowers are quite small but I love the unique look .... like little mouths sticking their tongues out at you

{{gwi:70492}}

{{gwi:70493}}

Another orchid you won't see in the grocery store

{{gwi:70494}}

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hello Mike,

I am doing well thank you! I hope you are doing well also. Oh, by the way, I grow African violets and gesneriads. No orchids.

Larry

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    10 years ago

Wow. What a display of beauty--each and every one of the blooms on this thread is inspiring.

Two Hippeastrum seedlings from a cross I made a few years ago bloomed for the first time this month.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    10 years ago

I was expecting the seedlings to bloom red, so I was very surprised and very pleased. (They were leaning toward the light--that's why they're crooked like that.)

Amanda

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are among my favorites. Last year, our Walmart carried bulbs (claws) of these. I did not dare to buy any because the claws were covered with white hair at eye area, as if they had rotted in the bags.

{{gwi:70495}}

{{gwi:70496}}

{{gwi:70497}}

{{gwi:70498}}

{{gwi:70499}}

{{gwi:70500}}

{{gwi:70501}}

• auron22
    10 years ago

This has to be one of the worst winters in my area in 10 years....maybe longer. All these beautiful blooms lift my spirits :)

I don't have anything to contribute, three plants are working on it....perhaps next month.

Amanda,
    I really love your Amaryllis! I'm amazed a cross turned out so well. How many years did it take for seedlings to mature?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

... and of course, the most popular and deeply beloved, Gardenia. Contrary to most instructions, these needs to be a little dry between watering, especially for newly purchased plants (humidity meter reads between red and green near center of root ball). New branches and leaves will wilt if over watered which is fatal because most people will water immediately at the sight of wilting.

First buds opening in 2014. The perfume is intensely released shortly after watering.
    {{gwi:70502}}

{{gwi:70503}}

{{gwi:70504}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by audrey z5 PA (My Page) on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:39

If you examine the structure of the flowers coming out of the "furry cat tails", you realize it is very similar to Christmas cactus.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

This seems to be a rather happy plant as it has been blooming non-stop for about a month.

Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii Grass'
    {{gwi:70505}}

Planto

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

my amaryllises are blooming early. i've been reblooming them for many years. it's a common minerva, but they are getting larger with age.

• tommy1tone
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving Cactus, round 2

10 years ago

Callisia fragrans flower stalks. The flowers were open Saturday, took plant outside for a drink, came back a little later with camera & flowers were closed and I haven't seen them open since. Plant looks great though, IMO, more light than last winter, the stalks aren't nearly as tall and floppy. I've been turning this too.

10 years ago

This wax Begonia is still going like crazy.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    You mean to tell me that I missed your Callisia fragrans flowering? :(

Have you had the opportunity to take a picture of your friend's plant bucket collection yet? Sorry I keep asking. I'm just anxious to see what it looks like now.

Planto

10 years ago

No, quite the other way around. I was just anxious to put a pic of all of those stalks. They should last for months, though catching the actual little flowers open is tricky. Sorry for the confusion!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    It's okay. Maybe you'll have some flowers again soon that will behave long enough for you to snap a picture. I did mean to comment on the number of flower stalks, it looks like you have a really a happy plant!

Planto

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Wow, everyone has such beautiful flowers, makes me soo jealous...I want spring to come here NOW!!! lol. I cant wait to put my plants outside and see them grow and see some blooms...and play with my outdoor blooming plants. Actually now that I think about it, I should, at least hopefully, have some late winter/early spring bulbs that should start coming up soon....I should go out there and remove the fallen dead leaves litter and see if anything is planning on coming up.

Anyways, my birthday is coming up here in March, I wanna see some more of your guys beautiful blooms to cheer me up from getting old (31 years, eeek!!) Lol.

heres a pic of my now fully blooming orchid.

10 years ago

Callisia fragrans, caught 'em!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    Woo, thanks for sharing! The flowers are so "dainty" but the dainty ones are always the best ones IMO. :)

Planto

• Tuija
    10 years ago

My new AV

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

These are some amazing blooms you folks are posting! We FINALLY got our kalanchoe to bloom, after 2 years. This is the first plant we have had bloom for us, besides bulbs.

Its definately not as full as i would like, but we are going to prune and give it more light over the summer. Either way, great to see some color in winter!

{{gwi:70506}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmm...