photo 5_zps0d9138c0.jpg

photo 0_zps6cc84702.jpg

photo 3_zps94ecaad8.jpg

photo 1_zpsbf529dd0.jpg

photo 4_zps3729d4b8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show your February 2014 Blooms!

Gorgeous!! I recognize ?cineria and azalea maybe camellia. What are the others?
Well-here are my pitiful blooms. They are basically being overwintered but put out a bloom or two. lol
kalanchoe1 photo 100_1406_zps33c0604a.jpg
kalanchoe2 photo 100_1408_zpscc380abc.jpg
geranium2 photo 100_1407_zps033d32ee.jpg
Geranium 1 photo 100_1405_zps7f927be0.jpg
The Kalanchoe kind of suprised me. The geraniums I'll use for cuttings. Very little sun but they are tryng.

o

Juju..Please, what are the most fragrant ones? The first 4 pic specifically?

I love them all!

Crao, still very nice!

Mike

o

Juju, beautiful flowers.

What's the first plant? Gorgeous.

o

I love the first plant too, tell us more about it Please....
Christine

o

After studying the leaves, plant 1 looks like Azalia. Very nice...I love the trunk.

Is plant two Pussy Willow? Are you forcing the branch? Don't think I've tried forcing PW, but I thought they bloomed, indoors around Feb??
I had a PW plant in the garden, but because it took over the garden, 'too wide/large' it was dug up, replaced with Phlox.

Your Camilla and Azalea are true beautys. Wish I could grow Camilla..

Caro, sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your post. :) The pics are semi-blurry, or maybe it's my eyesight.
Pic 4 looks like Geranium??? Nice flowers.

Hi Christine...

o

Jujujojo,
We need to know what these are? Is # 1 a bonsai.
H.A- I thought the yellow one was Forsythia. Know mine are blurred- just as well lol.

o

Posted by caro123 3NH (My Page) on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 20:14

I'm sorry for not noticing your questions earlier.

These are all common ornamental woody plants: Prunus mume, Chaenomeles, Chimonanthus (wintersweet), Camelia, Azalea Daphne Odora, Pericallis × hybrida or Florist's Cineraria ...

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 21:04

o

A couple pleasant phals

photo 8_zpsa2d32448.jpg

photo 0_zps94214962.jpg

photo 3_zpsf15e1c63.jpg

photo 1_zps8d6a807f.jpg

photo 2_zpsdece5115.jpg

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 0:49

o

Oh yeah, from down south somewhere or what- Greenhouse?
Love it anyhow- anything green and blossoming love to see now. Beautiful.

o

Juju, are you in HI?

Your plants are lovely..

o

My plants tend to get a little depressed and buggy this time of year, but a few of them still bloom anyhow. Not all of these photos were taken this month, but they are all of plants currently in bloom or just finishing.

o

HELP! I want to upload some of my pictures but can't locate the instructions. I emailed the "contact us" part of this Web site and asked for help, but I have not gotten a response. Can anyone direct me to the instructions for uploading pictures? I'm sure they are somewhere on this site, but I'm not very computer savvy.

Thank you!

o

Audrey, your flowers are lovely too.
Is the plant in pic 2, Cajun Hibiscus?
Your Shrimp flowers are pretty. Mine never bloom.

Think my favorite is yellow and green blooms. Gorgeous.

o

hopefulauthor,
Thanks! No, the second picture is a variegated flowering maple, Abutilon thompsonii.

Rodden-Blessed,
I usually have my photos on another internet site and just use the IMG SRC html tag to link to them.

o

Oncidium NOID again with more open blooms

o

Variegated lipstick plant 'light prince' with blooms, they look awesome with the variegated leaves.

o

It's like a breath of spring seeing all these stunning blooms!!!

o

Okay, here are my February blooming African violets.

Mac's Misty Meadow

o

Ness Crinkle Blue

o

Little Ebony number 1

o

Little Ebony number 2

o

Group shot! How I combat winter blues.

o

rachels.haven,

Wow, your AVs are wonderful. I have a question:

I notice your plants have nice and small leaves. My AVs grow quite large over time with many many leaves. Do you trim the leaves off?

My AVs:

photo 2013-12-31011_zpscca3203f.jpg

photo 2013-12-31009_zps7ad26c49.jpg

photo 2013-12-31001_zps0d75661f.jpg

photo 2013-12-31006_zps256216c2.jpg

photo 2013-12-31007_zps766d8581.jpg

photo 2013-12-31002_zps1818b29c.jpg

photo 2013-12-31004_zps23195457.jpg

photo 2013-12-31010_zpse06b1cc4.jpg

photo 2013-12-31001_zps0d75661f.jpg

o

Just about everything that was in bloom last month is still in bloom, so if really curious, one can always check out the January thread. Add ons for this month:
(This one is quite fragrant)
Feb 2014 photo IMG_9984_zps499418b6.jpg

And my Kohleria's next flush of blooms

Feb 2014 photo IMG_9989_zps27bf4a07.jpg

o

NOID Plumeria. Sweet fragrance. Grown under T-5 lights.

Laura

o

Jujujojo,
Thanks, I just spent a few moments admiring your lovelies too-they're beautiful. Nope, I don't trim the leaves. Most of my AVs are miniatures or semi-miniatures. I have a few plants that can fit in the palm of my hand and stay that way all by themselves (first blooms coming in a month or so). I also have some that can supposedly get upwards of 24 inches when mature...I'm still not totally sure how I wound up with those and what I'm going to do with them when they get there since I like the littles.

I recognize your plants as beautiful, robust Optimara varieties. Do you happen to know which ones they are?

o

My god! anyone that can grow African Violets like that is # 1 in my book! Great work!!!!!!!

Juju,in what Zone do you live? Are all your plants indoors for the whole winter? It seems that certain plants of yours that should be dormant are budding out for you! That's wonderful...

What is your sweetest smelling plant posted above that you have? Is it the winter sweet? Just wonderl.

Lovely pics to you all....

I know Pauls and Laura's smeel good!

ALL my flowering plants except for succulents have a fragrance....

o

Posted by rachels.haven none (My Page) on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 16:00

I think they are Optimara Montana II blue form and Colorado II. I can feel that they are happy :-) That brightens up my winter days, especially during the Polar vortex this year.

I also love their self-watering pots. I used to think that self-watering pots mean less work. At times it may be true, but for newly bought plants, I had to observe and control or empty the water in the pots.

o

Jujju..

I think you missed my questions..If deliberatley, then no problem..

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 21:11

o

Mike, search above this answer of mine: Posted by jujujojo (My Page) on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 21:03 See if it answers your key questions.

o

Howdy,

Audrey, now that you mentioned it, duh, I should have recognized the foliage. Beautiful. Heavy drinkers.

Everybody's African Violets are gorgeous. I'm green with envy. Mine are doing okay, but only two have flowered this winter..not worth the photos.

Rachels, I believe you and I have the same fruit glasses. :)

Rodden..Wish I could help answer your question about posting photos.
Something has changed either here on GW or Flickr where my photos are stored.
I didn't see your post asking for help, otherwise I wouldn't have left your question blank, by posting my own. Sorry. Toni

o

I still haven't figured out how to include a picture, so I'll likely get my teenager or a colleague with far better computer skills than mine to figure it out. Thank you, Toni, for your concern. Hopefully some of my plants will pop up in pictures soon.

Rodden

o

Well, I got this jasmine from cuttings. This cutting rooted shortly after I placed it in water. A second one did not root until one year later. Their fragrance is a little like sweet green tea - well, maybe, I was having Jasmine Tea ... The smell is sweet and pleasant for the cold winter.

photo 2014Win028_zpse3bcfb4d.jpg

photo 2014Win030_zpsd7c286ef.jpg

photo 2014Win015_zps50c74c1b.jpg

photo 2014Win025_zpsf3212d62.jpg

photo 2014Win008_zps4d7bebe6.jpg

photo 2014Win021_zpsef61c22e.jpg

photo 2014Win002_zps78ecf588.jpg

I also have this Amaryllis/Hippeastrum "Apple Blossom". It looks so beautiful in pictures. In real life, I prefer the all red ones though. This color is a little too light for me.

photo 2014Win039_zpsc92a7f5d.jpg

photo 2014Win017_zps02154028.jpg

photo 2014Win012_zpsae3f8ac9.jpg

photo 2014Win011_zps20477e8c.jpg

photo 2014Win004_zpscb05bb09.jpg

photo 2014Win044_zps516b2a03.jpg

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 17:43

o

Hi Juju..I think I am mssing something..?

I don't see where you say what part of the world or zone you live in. Is it tropical or very cold where you live? Do you grow them fragrant little trees indoors? Or what is your MOST fragrant plant in those pictures is....

I hear the 'winter sweet' is very powerful. If so I want to get one.

All those plants you posted are either tropicals or perennials up here. All mine would still be dormant unless I put them into a warm home after a few weeks of dormancy.

Thank you...

Mike

o

Mike, I grow the fragrant little trees indoors in winter and outdoors in summer. Yes, the winter sweet is the most powerful.

o

Mike, also, in winter, the day temperature of my house is 23 Celsius (73 F) and night temperature is 20 Celsius (68 F). I have South, West, East and North facing windows at 3 levels.

o

Juju..What a bunch of beautiful plants to get you through winter! I am particularly fond of fragrant ones//I think about 90% of my plants are fragrant....I'll have to take pics soon.

Thanks for your response...I too have a few plants in pots that I can't wait to see bud out...

Laura, did I ever tell you how crazy I am about your plumeria? Wonderful job with them even this time of the year!

Everyone's plants are so nice to look at.

Hey Toni!!! Hope you and your family stay strong through your tough times..Much love from us here at home.

MIke

o

Well this discussion is already packed with beautiful blooms! Very cool plants out there!

I dropped this plant Saturday (OMG what a mess in the bathroom!) and like 2 days later flowers popped out - go figure! Dragon wing Begonia.

o

Shown in previous months, but still blooming.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, wax Begonia that was a cutting put in this pot about a month ago. (And the Peperomia dolabriformis doesn't seem able to grow roots from a leaf...)

o

Also held over from last month, Easter cactus (Hatiora gaertneri.) The same flower is still opening/closing daily (from 1/30 when it first popped open.) It looks funny because I had to turn the brightness and shadows way up for the pic to have any color.

o

Beautiful blooms.

Love them all.

😃 Thank you , Mike!!

One more Blooming right now.

Embers.

Laura

o

Definitely Cyclamen. They actually can grow from seeds.

photo 0_zps6e1c05e6.jpg

o

Violets,and 3 babies I started

o

Violet

o

Wow, beautiful blooms! I have to add mine too - it was such a surprise yesterday when I noticed my pink primrose opening some yellow flowers! :)

o

What a lovely tour! Thx all for brightening my day!

o

Posted by surya55 7a ny (My Page) on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 3:16

I love cineria. Can these come from seeds?

photo 4_zpsa4aefd64.jpg

photo 0_zpsb639fb9a.jpg

photo 2_zps640fe002.jpg

photo 3_zpsbae7ea26.jpg

photo 1_zps74ff86ec.jpg

o

Yes but the seeds are not easy to find

o

Howdy,

My Begonia is nothing compared to others plants on this thread, but it's still in bloom.

Now the test...see if it'll download.

Begonia

o

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 14:49

Toni, your begonia is lovely. Is that Gardenia at the bottom?

Bergenia

photo 2_zps0d98b939.jpg

photo 1_zps9caa8111.jpg

photo 0_zpscbd16b2e.jpg

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 22:06

o

These somewhat look like cat's tail.

photo 1_zpse6df666b.jpg

photo 0_zps580926df.jpg

The sweet scents are wafting, a ton of narcissus Chinese sacred lilies:

photo 0_zpsc58da092.jpg

o

photo 0_zpsaade5bd2.jpg

o

This is not a great picture nor is this blossom outstanding, but this is the first Gold Dust Dracena I have ever given a home to. I snagged it from Lowe's in a ceramic pot for $2 when the plant was about 5 inches tall. It is now well over a foot and is sporting four clusters of blossoms. What a great surprise for me.

Not only is this "February Blooms" post highlighting some great blooms but some incredible photography as well--both of which are inspirations! I really appreciate all the great pictures people have sent in.

Rodden Blessed

o

Rodden, I love your Gold-Dust Dracaena. Plus you got it to bloom.

Is the flower fragrant?

My Gold-Dust is getting by but no show plant and forget flowers.

I find Gold-Dust much fussier than other Dracaenas. What about you?
Would you say your plant is less hardy then a Corn Plant or Janet Craig? Toni

o

Hi Flower Pot Tipper,

That is a nice Columnea 'Light Prince'! Just to let you know though. Columneas are not considered Lipstick plants. Lipstick plants are Aeschynanthuses.

Larry

o

Hi Larry...Hoping you are doing well and your orchids!

Hi Toni..Hope you are well too!

MIke

o

Toni,
My nose isn't very good, but I don't smell much of anything from my Gold Dust blooms. They certainly are not spectacular blooms, but they are unique in their diminutive and unassuming nature. I think there is a good chance that people who don't pay a lot of attention to their plants may not even notice the blooms of a Gold Dust.
The only other dracena I have is a ribbon dracena that was in horrible shape that I rescued, and it is still on a very slow mend, so I can't really say much about which one is more difficult. The Gold Dust has simply done well in its location and pot. I have never fertilized it and have used strictly rain water on it. It sits next to my computer monitor and there is a south-facing window within 2.5 feet. Other than that and a lot of hope and appreciation for it, I haven't done much. I think it's just so happy to be out of the sunless shelves at Lowes and into a "home" that it has done well.
Is a Gold Dust usually hard to get to bloom? I have very little experience with the dracenas.
It's sunny here in NE Oklahoma, so I'm going to head home and shovel up the last of my snow pile into a bucket as I am almost out of plant water.
Are you an author, Toni?

Rodden Blessed

o

Beautiful photos, everybody! I especially liked the furry cactus and blue and white cineraria. My littlest fuchsia has been blooming under the lights too, and my forced tulips just started. I'm not sure whether they are technically houseplants, but they are in the house and plants!

o

RB..Funny, I can't smell the scent of Hoyas like some.
Dracaena scent permeates the air..Some people can't tolerate its fragrance, I think the smell is heavenly.

I don't have D. Ribbon, but in my experience, it did best in water..

You said, people might not pay attention to their plants so they miss a bloom. That's why I asked if yours was fragrant. :)
My Gold dust is in an area I can't miss it, even as i sit here typing....it's doing okay, no show plant.

No, I'm not an author..lol..I'd like to change my screen name, but don't know how to go about it.

Audrey. Both your plants are doing well.
Well, tulips are normally grown outside, but since it's inside and a house, it's a house plant.
More than likely it will need a garden next year to get flowers. Or the use of your refrigerator.

Fuchias are typically grown outdoors, but they're sold as indoor or house plants, too.
If you can keep a Fuchia, you're good with plants.

Technically, all plants are outdoor plants, when you think about it. Tropical, succulent, bulbs, annuals, perennials, etc, were originally grown outdoors, in one or another part of the world..

We've trained plants to live indoors naming them house plants.

Actually, I potted two different Gold Dust together. One is like yours, the second is called variegated..Variegated looks like standard GD, gold dots and has a stripe down the center..The stripe is long gone..

o

A few more:

Feb 2014 photo IMG_9996sm_zps45f4a5d9.jpg

Color is quite accurate on this one:

Feb 2014 photo tutsm_zps320c9f1e.jpg

One of my favorite orchid genera -- the flowers are quite small but I love the unique look .... like little mouths sticking their tongues out at you

Feb 2014 photo IMG_0009_zps9300405b.jpg

Feb 2014 photo IMG_0011_zpse02ada74.jpg

Another orchid you won't see in the grocery store

Feb 2014 photo IMG_0012_zpsd643b3d1.jpg

o

Hello Mike,

I am doing well thank you! I hope you are doing well also. Oh, by the way, I grow African violets and gesneriads. No orchids.

Larry

o

Wow. What a display of beauty--each and every one of the blooms on this thread is inspiring.

Two Hippeastrum seedlings from a cross I made a few years ago bloomed for the first time this month.

o

I was expecting the seedlings to bloom red, so I was very surprised and very pleased. (They were leaning toward the light--that's why they're crooked like that.)

Amanda

o

These are among my favorites. Last year, our Walmart carried bulbs (claws) of these. I did not dare to buy any because the claws were covered with white hair at eye area, as if they had rotted in the bags.

photo 3_zps7bd11a72.jpg

photo 2_zps10727799.jpg

photo 0_zpsf77e2d83.jpg

photo 4_zpscfb4385f.jpg

photo 1_zps6aa69b43.jpg

photo 5_zps10c4d7ea.jpg

photo 6_zpsd30bc357.jpg

o

This has to be one of the worst winters in my area in 10 years....maybe longer. All these beautiful blooms lift my spirits :)

I don't have anything to contribute, three plants are working on it....perhaps next month.

Amanda,
I really love your Amaryllis! I'm amazed a cross turned out so well. How many years did it take for seedlings to mature?

o

... and of course, the most popular and deeply beloved, Gardenia. Contrary to most instructions, these needs to be a little dry between watering, especially for newly purchased plants (humidity meter reads between red and green near center of root ball). New branches and leaves will wilt if over watered which is fatal because most people will water immediately at the sight of wilting.

First buds opening in 2014. The perfume is intensely released shortly after watering.
 photo 1_zpsf51ad678.jpg

photo 1_zps57ca49df.jpg

photo 0_zpse8e37831.jpg

o

Posted by audrey z5 PA (My Page) on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:39

If you examine the structure of the flowers coming out of the "furry cat tails", you realize it is very similar to Christmas cactus.

o

This seems to be a rather happy plant as it has been blooming non-stop for about a month.

Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii Grass'
 photo 100_4407_zps9e1b6f70.jpg

Planto

o

my amaryllises are blooming early. i've been reblooming them for many years. it's a common minerva, but they are getting larger with age.

o

Thanksgiving Cactus, round 2

o

Callisia fragrans flower stalks. The flowers were open Saturday, took plant outside for a drink, came back a little later with camera & flowers were closed and I haven't seen them open since. Plant looks great though, IMO, more light than last winter, the stalks aren't nearly as tall and floppy. I've been turning this too.

o

This wax Begonia is still going like crazy.

o

Tiff,
You mean to tell me that I missed your Callisia fragrans flowering? :(

Have you had the opportunity to take a picture of your friend's plant bucket collection yet? Sorry I keep asking. I'm just anxious to see what it looks like now.

Planto

o

No, quite the other way around. I was just anxious to put a pic of all of those stalks. They should last for months, though catching the actual little flowers open is tricky. Sorry for the confusion!

o

Tiff,
It's okay. Maybe you'll have some flowers again soon that will behave long enough for you to snap a picture. I did mean to comment on the number of flower stalks, it looks like you have a really a happy plant!

Planto

o

Wow, everyone has such beautiful flowers, makes me soo jealous...I want spring to come here NOW!!! lol. I cant wait to put my plants outside and see them grow and see some blooms...and play with my outdoor blooming plants. Actually now that I think about it, I should, at least hopefully, have some late winter/early spring bulbs that should start coming up soon....I should go out there and remove the fallen dead leaves litter and see if anything is planning on coming up.

Anyways, my birthday is coming up here in March, I wanna see some more of your guys beautiful blooms to cheer me up from getting old (31 years, eeek!!) Lol.

heres a pic of my now fully blooming orchid.

o

Callisia fragrans, caught 'em!

o

Tiff,
Woo, thanks for sharing! The flowers are so "dainty" but the dainty ones are always the best ones IMO. :)

Planto

o

My new AV

o

These are some amazing blooms you folks are posting! We FINALLY got our kalanchoe to bloom, after 2 years. This is the first plant we have had bloom for us, besides bulbs.

Its definately not as full as i would like, but we are going to prune and give it more light over the summer. Either way, great to see some color in winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here