Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identification and help

Posted by sarab6 arkansas (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 15:09

I recently received this plant from my MIL from her business office after workers didn't take care of. so we transported it by trailer because wouldn't fit in car. the wind beat the plants up badly.

So with that being said how do i bring it back to glory.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identification and help

Tough to see the foliage on the bottom (but I can tip my head). Looks like a rather neglected Schefflera. If this is your first plant, I'm not sure I'd bother.

Sorry to discourage you, but this plant needs a fair amount of work: the size of the pot looks wrong, the mix looks wrong & it looks VERY neglected.

MAYBE, just cut off all that scraggly struggling tall growth & let the plant focus its energy on the better growing, stronger growth on the bottom. Just a wild-a**ed guess.

o

Hi & welcome to GW.

Yes, Schefflera, the bigger one I think, S. actinophylla. It couldn't get much worse looking, no reason not to give it a sunny window and see what happens. Might as well trim for shape, whatever shape/size you have in mind. The existing foliage looks dead, but if the trunk/roots are still alive, more should grow.

What's going on in the pot? Is it a peat pot with more soil around that?

o

The plant has roots that are circular sitting just under that soil that I can see. Since the move the stalks have turned brown but not breakable like a dead stick. so do I cut across or at an angle?

Thanks guys trying to give it some love

o

It sounds like it was potted up (vs. being repotted) before. Are you seeing any new growth starting? I don't think it matters if a cut is angled or straight.

o

I wouldn't give up on this Schefflera at all. One of the many beauties of plants (to me) is there will to live. I have learned a lot about plants by working with them through tough situations. You will learn a lot, and the plant may pull through as well. Another bonus is the great story that you will have to go with that plant. I so cherish the stories that many of my plants provide. Plants have taught me a lot, and I think this one will provide more for you than you can imagine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here