Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasia88_gw

Do Croton leaves grow back?

kasia88
11 years ago

I have a nice colorful Croton that's about 6 years old. And over time as it grew it dropped a couple of leaves from the bottom. They never grew back though, and now it just kind of looks like a feather duster. Is there anything I can do?

They just grow kinda pale and drop.

Thanks

Comments (20)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I've never seen them grow back.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Not the lower leaves, which the plants drops as they age.

I have cut back Crotons to make them branch & shape more attractively, but I'd wait 'til Spring. Has the mix been changed in all these years? Likely fresh soil at that time will help w/ new growth, also these plants benefit from humidity trays, & watering to overflow when watering.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Basically what Karen said ....

The shed leaves won't grow back, but there are ways to force new branching (and thus, fresh foliage) from latent buds just above old leaf bundle scars.

Al

• kasia88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How can I 'branch' it?

Hm, I have changed soil once. But it's pretty 'airy' so it drains quite fast. Day or two and it needs watering.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi again,

Sorry but a soil change once in 6 yrs. isn't enough, likely the soil is completely spent. It's suggested to refresh mix once a yr, or maybe 2 at most.

To branch it, you'll need to be brave & cut the top off in the Spring. It'll be bare for a while, but w/good care, more of the good light you have that kept it colorful & a bit of time, it'll grow back in. I did this several times & the plant filled back in beautifully, couldn't tell it had ever been cut. But not now, pls. wait til Spring & change the soil first.

Hi Al, If I mixed anything, pls. jump in here.

11 years ago

It's likely your plant is low on stored energy due to low winter light levels, so the best strategy for getting the most vigorous back-budding would be to move the plant outdoors into shade as soon as night lows are reliably above 55*. Then, cut the plant back hard around Father's Day. The plant will back-bud and several new stalks will grow. On the subsequent Father's Day (2014), you can repeat the process by cutting back the new growth on the several stems that occur after the first pruning. If you don't need a repotting (as opposed to potting up) by this summer (probably will), you undoubtedly will by summer of '14.

Al

• kasia88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let me make sure I understand this right (English isn't my second language) You mean I should just cut it down short, along with all the leaves? Seems really risky to me : P I might have to with time cos it's gonna start looking like a broom. I can drop a photo tomorrow if it's of any help.

Thanks

11 years ago

Lol - Karen and I posted with the same time stamp, and offered similar advice. I'd like to see a picture of the plant before I say HOW short, but basically, it doesn't matter. You could cut it back an inch above the soil line if it's healthy and all would be well. It only seems risky to you because you haven't yet done something like this, but I've done it for myself and others hundreds of times - thousands, if you count chopping back containerized trees. The response is genetically encoded in the plant, and extremely predictable. All you need to be relieved of your misgivings is the dauntless daring and dash to make the cut. In two weeks, you'll heave a sigh of relief and feel better for having added another trick to the bag. ;-)

Al

• kasia88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright, here's the picture. It did have couple of tiny flowers this summer. New leaves are still coming in : )

11 years ago

Yeah - I'd cut the one on the left back to about even with the window sill on the building across the way, and the other stem about even with the top of the light colored dryvit accent strip just below it. You could even cut back more severely if you like. One of the stems should be 1/2-2/3 the ht of the other. If 1 is thicker, make that the taller ..... and make June your targeted timing, if you can stand the wait. ;-) Cutting back now will result in lackluster back-budding.

Al

• kasia88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello again.

I have cut my croton down few days ago. How long should it be before it starts to grow again?

Thanks

• shellini521
    7 years ago

My croton turned into the feather duster too and I repotted into a smaller pot. A few months later I noticed leaf buds growing all the way from the bottom of the stem,,everywhere! I think it needed to get root bound

7 years ago

No plant appreciates being root bound. For an explanation, READ THIS. (click link)

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

That's what I was heading toward by asking about trimming the roots.

• Elizabeth Wellnitz
    6 years ago

ok so this is my feather duster lol it's been like this for a couple of years iv tried everything what do i do this plant is a part of our family I don't want to loose it it doesn't bother me I think it's cute it's like a umbrella for our fox but I would love to see it healthy and happy again also I recently added moss to some plants now I have bugs gnats I believe how do I rid them

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Lose the moss and the gnats are because you are keeping it too moist. Slowly acclimate it to full sun outside and you'd be surprised ant how much it will re-leaf. I have one that overwinters in a south window and lately tends to lose leaves starting in late March or early April as the higher sun angle brings less light in. By the end of July it is leafed out.

Early summer last year, already sprouting. I don't think it had 3 leaves to begin with and leaves are on old and new growth.

Nearing the end of summer...

Mine is 8-10 years old and only became deciduous in the last 2 years. Still trying to figure out why.

tj

• Elizabeth Wellnitz
    6 years ago

Ok thanks I will try it and when u say acclimate can u please explain in detail

• Enter Beware
    6 years ago

I have put my croton outside to find that the leaves become really soft and they start to droop now what do I do it looks worse than before and some of the leaves now lay down like they are broken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

You want to let it get used to outside slooowly. It is known as hardening off. Start in a shady spot, out of the wind. Over 10 days to two weeks let it get used to more sun and more of the elements a little more each day or two.

tj

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations