Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tealord_gw

Schefflera house plant dying - what to do??

tealord
12 years ago

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm very happy to have found such a nice community.

I am actually quite desperately looking for some advice on how to prevent my schefflera house plant, which has been gradually deteriorating, from dying completely, and hopefully get it back to its beautiful self asap.

I upped some pictures of the plant in different stages of (un)health (over the past few weeks), please have a look at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v185/themagicdude/schefflera/ to get an impression (the first four pictures are from today, the rest from about a month back).

To summarize the story:

- bought the plant about 4 months ago, here in Norway

- put her in the living room in a place that gets good sunlight in summer but much less in winter (in winter, Norway is pretty dark and the sun doesn't come up high enough to really shine through the window)

- she was great for about 2 months, then started having brown leaves and dropping them at a gradually increasing pace

- when we took her small plastic pot (with holes) out from the bigger ceramic pot, we realized that she'd been standing in a very moist pot (we had filled it with these very dry stone-type of things initially, but apparently watered too much in the first 2 months so some of that water was permanently sitting right under the plastic pot, in close contact with the plant) ... so we took out all the water and the stone thingies, and replaced those with a new batch of dry ones, then shifted to a watering scheme of 0,5 to 1 liter per 2 weeks

- nothing improved after 1 month, more and more leaves dropping

- then we realized we had actually never given her nutrition, so went out and bought some nutrition "sticks" (best description I can give), which we proceeded to bury a few of between the middle of the pot and the edges (as per the instructions on the package)

- this is two weeks ago now and still no improvement. The plant looks like she's about to die, some stems already went brown and just one green stem left with some semi-healthy leaves, but they also seem to be getting worse.

What do you think is the cause of this problem? Lack of sunlight after all? We were told that this plant should survive the Norwegian winter just fine though ...

Anything you think we can do to help her out? We really love this plant and felt a connection with her from the beginning, so any advice would be dearly appreciated.

Please post to let me know if you need any more information to be able to say something about the situation.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help,

Tea

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of the plant

Comments (77)

• Eddet Recneps
    8 years ago

Ok will do that too. This is some complicated stuff! ;)

• Eddet Recneps
    8 years ago

Any thoughts on the clippings to ensure one of those at least stays alive?

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago

Right now all you do is wait. Don't water them unless you absolutely need to. Keep the heat under them and don't fiddle with them too much, just make sure the humidity isn't too high. They will take their sweet time like most things do.

• Dave
    8 years ago

Sorry, I meant either putting it on a tray of water OR using a plastic bag as a humidity tent. My apologies.

• Dave
    8 years ago

And to my knowledge, if those are just the leaf and leaf petiole (the leafs stem) they don't usually work. You need the actual stem (trunk) with attached leaf petiole to root.

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago

ah! I had to scroll up to see what you meant. Yeah the leaves aren't going to work. They may root but will probably not produce a stem or any new growth.

• Eddet Recneps
    8 years ago

We'll shoot, okay. I'll keep an eye on the stalks then. Fingers crossed!

• Dave
    8 years ago

Let us know how things progress. I'm wishing you the best of luck and I hope they pull through!

• Eddet Recneps
    8 years ago

It appears that the stalks are deteriorating. I had the plastic covering the pot until this morning when I realized there was a small amount of mold beginning to grow on two of the stalks. I figured I would let it dry out a little more during the day today. The soil is still pretty wet it looks like.

• Dave
    8 years ago

point fan on the pot to help it dry the soil since the plant isn't using any water.

• Eddet Recneps
    8 years ago

Ok so two are definitely dead but is there any saving this last one that appears to be half alive still with new growth?

• emmie_brb_b
    7 years ago

Please help. We've been nursing this for months now and it had been doing really well and over the last two weeks this has happened. We don't over water (learned that the hard way months ago) and nothing has changed. We will do anything we need to as this was my grandparent's plant. ♡ Thank you in advance. Emmy

• Dave
    7 years ago

How often do you water? How much do you water?

how much light does it get?

What changed since the downfall?

looks like it's wilting, which is a response to not getting enough water. Unfortunately, that same response can also come from too much water. The roots rot and are unable to supply the plant.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

I think it's time to just throw it out and buy a new one. It's in pretty bad shape. When you get a new one water then let the plant dry out a little before watering again. I have a sheff that's 30 years old now.

• emmie_brb_b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you so much for the quick response. We water every few weeks. I would guess not enough water as too much unless for some reason the bottom half is retaining water in which it would be root rot. We have dealt with that before when my grandpa was overwatering it before he passed away in August. I truly believe it's from under watering, so is there anything we can do to save it at this point?

• Dave
    7 years ago

You should remove it from the pot and inspect.

Check how moist the soil is. Inspect for soggy or brown roots. Heathy roots should be tan to white. Let us know what you find.

Do you flush the soil when watering? As in, watering until 10-15% comes out the bottom drain hole? If not, salts from tap water and fertilizer will built up in the soil and also cause issues with the roots.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    7 years ago

A 30 year old schefflera? That must have trunks much thicker than a soda can. Pictures please? I'd love to see the trunks.

Al

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

Actually it's no where near that thick as I cut the plant back a number of years ago because it was getting too lanky. The trunks are about an inch think however and in a 5 gallon bucket.

• emmie_brb_b
    7 years ago

Dave- I checked the roots yesterday. It's not looking good. There are good roots (tan/white) but not very many. Also I noticed on the branches there are places that if I touch or rub my fingets the outside "bark" just comes off. I don't want to admit it as this was in memory of my grandparents but I think I've tried everything.

• Mo Mullane
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I have had my Scheflerra house plant for 33 years. It has had it's ups and downs but at one time it was a full beautiful bush. Over the last year it has started to look a little old and it looks like its dying. It was doing well next to the baseboard heat in my living room but I don't think it was getting enough light. I am uploading 2 photos. Do you think it could be root rot??

• Dave
    7 years ago

How long has it been in that pot and soil? When was the last time it had a full repot? Aka removing all soil from around the roots, root pruning and then being placed in 100% fresh soil.

what do your watering habits look like? Do you flush out the soil often?

how often do you fertilize and with what?

• Mo Mullane
    7 years ago

We haven't changed the soil in about 2 years. I will do that this week. When it is in the house I water it a minimal amount of water once every 7-10 days. I haven't flushed the soil in a while and I have never fertilized it.

• Mo Mullane
    7 years ago

Do you think that Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix is good?

7 years ago

No on the MG potting soil. It's not a good choice. It can be used as a small fraction of a medium based on large particles (pine bark), but you essentially can't amend the fact that it's all fine particles. Even a huge volume of perlite, say 2 parts of perlite and 1 part of potting soil won't work as well as a medium based on coarse pine bark - dust to 3/8" is best. The idea behind what I'm saying is, you want a lot of large particles with large pores, then just enough fine material to raise the level of water retention to something you can live with; but you don't want so much fine material in your soils it fills all the spaces between the larger particles.

In your mind's eye, visualize a quart jar full of BB size particles and note all the great air spaces between the particles. Now add a pint of peat and see how ALL the air spaces between the BBs are filled with fine material that limits drainage and aeration. You might as well be growing in straight peat.

Undoubtedly, there are a LOT of things going on with your plant. There are many nutrient deficiencies and likely a badly skewed ratio between what nutrients are in the soil (from tap water) in excess. I really think this will help you.

Al

• jjustus101
    7 years ago

I am so fortunate to have found this forum. You all are great! I have read all of the comments regarding Schefflera and thought I may have narrowed down the issues I'm having with mine. I was wrong.

I have a Schefflera that was given to my father and I by a family friend in 2000 for my Mother's funeral. Since then I have called it the "Tree of Life" because I swear my mothers spirit lives on in this tree! I was young at the time of her passing so my father cared for the tree. I swear he would go months without watering it. Never was the soil changed. Most shocking was him leaving it outside for practically an entire winter (In Michigan).

However, after my father passed away, I decided I wanted to take good care of her. I changed the soil, fertilized and new growth rapidly started. The tree was doing really well! That is, until I moved. I went from a nice home with great westward facing sunroom where it stayed by the window, to living in an apartment. My current apartment isn't the most accommodating in terms of sunlight. So I purchased a fluorescent light to supplement. Things were fine until Spider Mites came in from another plant my girlfriend brought home. I've fought tirelessly to rid my Schefflera of them. I think I have them under control now. It's hard to tell. Even with magnifying glasses. The plant has been steadily declining in health since early fall 2016. All but two leaves have dropped.

This week. I came home from a vacation and watered my plant. Not more than eight hours later; the leaves started changing colors and became very thin (the leaves themselves, the thickness of the leaves) along with having a slight "tacky" feel. I sprayed the tree again with a natural insecticide. This round must had been very hard on the plant because she looks like she's on her death bed. I'm really having a hard time at the thought of losing her. So if ANYONE could help me I would be in your debt. This tree means too much to me and if I can't save it, I at least want to have given it my best possible effort.

Whats been done recently:

1. Repotted it because the it had been over two years since the last repot.

2. Spider Mite infestation (under control) last treatment was 5 days ago.

3. All upper leaves have dropped. None left. Just two branches sticking up in the air.

4. Small, stunted leaves located a little lower than half-way up height of plant. Now they've turned a brownish hue with a pale green right where the leaf is connected to the "stem." Gets worse by the hour.

5. Unfortunately, I was forced to replace a lot of the potting medium because I was recommended a soil that was too "hot" and thick for the tree.

6. Current medium is Royal Gold Tupur soil-less high porosity mix. Blended with "Wiggle Worm" brand Soil Builder Earthworm Casting organic fertilizer.

7. I have a fan blowing a light breeze around it, a humidifier to regulate humidity level, flouresant supplemental light.

• jjustus101
    7 years ago

Additional photos. Sorry for the poor lighting. I plan on uploaded a few more once the sun rises.

• Dave
    7 years ago

Scratch the bark with your fingernail. If it's green underneath, it may have a chance. If it's not green, it's likely dead.

It looks pretty shriveled though. Like it was under or over watered for quite some time.

• yardakani
    6 years ago

hi, younger stems are getting loose, and they drop becoming brown. Leaves also get loose and drop. There is a similar plant only 1 meter away from this one and its looking healthy.

• yardakani
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

this is the plant. Soil is gramflor. Lighting is medium to low. There is an spacer under filled with leaka stones so plant wont sit on water (pot didnt have saucer and without it it would get too wateri in work place so seller suggested using spacer on buttom)

This is the healthy brother

• Dave
    6 years ago

Lack of light and too much water are likely your issue.

Does the pot have a drain hole?

• yardakani
    6 years ago

Spacer filled with leca stones instead of drain holes.

• Dave
    6 years ago

That's a big part of your problem, if not the biggest.

You need a drain hole not just for water to drain, but to be able to flush soil of accumulated salts from water and fertilizer.

Id get them out of those pots and into ones with drain holes asap.

Ive never heard of the soil brand you're using, but it looks too dense and water retentive.

• yardakani
    6 years ago

@dave I pulled the plant out the dirt from the original container was to wet and full of wired things like peanut shells and rice waste and some kind of black leaves. The was no water at base of pot but most of roots were soft and weak (rotted).

Drilled the pot and put them back with half of soil hoping it gets better.

The thing I wonder is why other pot is healty, anyways I also drilled the buttom of other pot

• Dave
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Is there a lot of extra soil or have the roots grown out into most of it?

the roots are rotting currently.

I'd prune any rotting roots and repot into a smaller post with half potting soil and half perlite. I would not keep them in the current mix you described.

• Chara Marks
    6 years ago

im so glad i found this forum! I have a 15 year old Schleffera I got from my relative. It was healthy and beautiful. I couldnt stop home before work so it stayed in my car for the day. it was 80+ degrees in there, and now the top is all brown and wilted, but the bottom is still fresh and green. I really don't want it to die. Since then I put it in a west facing window but its not getting any better or worse. What should i do?!?

• Dave
    6 years ago

Have you watered? Is the soil dry? Photos?

• yardakani
    6 years ago

I will not water for 3days to let the roots activate a bit. Soil still has a little bit of mosture left so its gonna be fine away from direct sun. Will post pics on saturday. (Pot is in office)

I got 4 other sheffleras in my house which grow out of control. Will have to get few cuttings out of them incase restoration plan fails.

• Dave
    6 years ago

My last response was to the other persons question.

Id get yours out of that soil. Not watering for 3 days probably won't be long enough to wait. There will still be moisture present.

You need to use a sharpened wooden dowel. Stick it all the way to the bottom and pull it out. If it comes out dark, damp and stained with soil, don't water.

Check daily and water when the dowel comes out clean and dry.

Roots that rot and die can't activate. I'm not sure what you meant there.

• 8lessthan3
    5 years ago

I have a veragated schefflera (Frederick) who is about 2 1/2 years old. He's grown a lot since I got him but now he's started getting these red spots on some of his younger leaves. I took him in to a nursery and they told me to water him more often. I'm kind of thinking that's not the issue though.

I repotted him a couple months ago with new soil (organic choice miracle-gro potting mix), his pot has drainage holes, and I water about once a week to once every two weeks. He sits at the back door (west facing), which is where's he been for the past year.

Any help is much appreciated. <3

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Check for insects. Under the affected leaves. Also I find they like their soil to dry out a little bit between waterings.

• 8lessthan3
    5 years ago

So I checked under the leaves with a tissue and got some red spots so definitely think he has mites. I've never delt with mites before.

As for nutrition, I've never done anything except water him and repot him as he got bigger. Is there a solution I can buy that will give him what he needs?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    5 years ago

Any all purpose fertilizer will be fine. Follow label directions. I usually mix it half the recommended rate.

5 years ago

Many fertilizer producers label 20-20-20, 12-4-8 and 24-8-16 as an "All-Purpose" fertilizer, yet there is a significant difference between the 20-20-20 and the other two. The 20-20-20 has a 1:1:1 NPK ratio, where the NPK ratio of the other two fertilizers is 3:1:2 - much better for an extremely high % of plants, including most houseplants - schefflera, for sure. I use Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 for all my trees, and to date I've seen nothing else available that even makes me think about switching.

Al

• HU-958493712
    5 years ago

Dying plant · More Info

Dying plant · More Info

Dying plant · More Info

i really hope this thread is active! I feel like my tree is almost dead but hoping there’s a chance to save it. It was growing great but out of shape so one day I decided to prune it. I feel like I should not have cut the stems which may have destroyed the plant. Also I think it’s over watered too. This is my first plant and I would really love to save it if possible. Please see pictures of where I did cut it and the state it’s in now

• HU-384935899
    5 years ago

This Golden Capella Schedflera had a nice umbrella going until it was left in a car overnight in a cold winter night. Had remove stems because they initially drooped then started drying off. What am I to do from her to revive this tree?

5 years ago

Nothing TO do other than turning things over to the Dept of Patience. One important reminder is to be extremely careful not to over-water. Use a wood dowel as a 'tell'. The wooden stick (bottom row of tools and toward the right) is something I use as a root pic, but it's almost exactly what you would use as a 'tell', only difference being your tell would be 24" long and sharpened at both ends. Use a 48" x 1/4 or5/16" birch dowel rod from a hardware or home improvement store. Cut it in half and sharpen all 4 ends in a pencil sharpener. Push the dowel deep into the pot (as in all the way to the bottom), then remove it. If it comes out moist or stained dark by the soil, withhold water. You can also use a bamboo skewer in a pinch, but the dowel is better. If the plant is going to live, you should see signs of back-budding inside of 2-3 weeks, but it might take longer. I've worked with temperate plants I thought were dead go a full summer with no signs of life, only to wake up the next spring and grow like nothing was wrong.

Some of the tools I use for repotting ^^^.

Al

• HU-384935899
    5 years ago
    Thanks Al. Will definitelt get on that.
  • HU-638338187
    4 years ago

My umbrella plant is dying on me not really sure what to do I am a new plant lover so I haven’t had much experience.It was so big and full Then I went away for a day and watered but didn’t drain out the plate that was under it so I noticed it had to be over watered. I changed the soil after I Came down to that realization and i haven’t seen any improvement changed the soil 2 weeks ago. Haven’t fertilized the plant not sure if I should at this moment does anyone know what I could do to save this plant or if it’s too far gone ?

• Belen Juarez
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello!

I was given a scheffera for Mother's day in 2020. She was doing great until about 2 weeks.

I replanted with new soil (the previous soil was very wet) it has been a week and I do not see any improvement. This is jo she looks now. Is she able to be saved?

Thank you!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia