Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

New plants

marricgardens
11 years ago

For my birthday, DH took me to a nursery and told me to 'go wild'. I chose these ones: this is a green jade and a dieffenbachia (sp?).
{{gwi:70556}}

Next I chose a new bromelaid. There was a nice yellow one but it didn't have any 'pups' growing. This red one has 5 in the pot. I thought getting one with pups growing would be better?

{{gwi:70557}}

This white anthirrium is still flowering and more flowers are appearing. The label in the pot said Anthurium Lovable Hearts.
{{gwi:70558}}

Comments (9)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Nice of your DH.
    Bromeliads form pups at different times. Some start pupping when in bloom, some only after bloom. Regardless, the plant blooms once and withers away. The pups then grow, the mother plant leaves die off, and the pups will bloom for you next year. The blooms are tiny yellow or blue, (the usual colors, but some have red flowers) things that appear down in the cup after the leaves color. In other plants those colored leaves are called bracts (like the red in Poinsettias), not sure about Bromeliads. At any rate, mine like a shaded place in the garden in the summer. Keep the leaves wet and the roots well draining. Temps above 10C.

A word to learn when dealing with Broms is 'trichomes'. Look it up. Also, your plant might be a Guzmania, but I am terrible at IDs.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi,

Is that an African violet in the background? Was that part of your haul?

Larry

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually there are a few AV I had already. They bloom non-stop! My mother grew AV but I never really got into them until a few years ago. Those I bought at HD for $1.50 each.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

very nice set!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Nice! What big leaves on such a small Dief, I love it (and the others!)

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Very nice Birthday presents! Happy Be-lated Birthday!

11 years ago

Rutroh, caught skimming, I didn't even see that part. Happy birthday!

P.S. (whispering...) People with Jan b-days are the coolest. Don't tell the others!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did go to the Bromelaid Society page and clicked on Guzmania, didn't know what they were. Sure enough I think mine is a Guzmania. When I first saw the Dieffenbachia, I thought there were 2 different plants in the pot because of the different leaf colors. Looking forward to watching it change over time. Purple, what does Rutroh mean? I figured out the 'are you there' but not the last part. Duh! Marg. BTW, you're right about the people born in Jan.

11 years ago

You've never watched the Jetsons?

Thought a quick google would confirm for me that it wasn't Scooby Doo who said rutroh (I try not to state facts w/o checking them first, my memory isn't perfect,) and I actually got a little confused out there. Urbandictionary.com incorrectly attributes the phrase to Scooby Doo, and in my head I could hear Astro AND Scooby Doo saying this... (and started to feel slightly insane - more than usual.) Wiki helped things make sense:

"Scooby was voiced by Don Messick until the voice actor's death in 1997. Messick is also known for providing the voice of the dogs Astro on The Jetsons and Muttley (who snickered).[2] The characteristic voices of Scooby and Astro are so similar that Astro's signature phrase, "Ruh-roh!", is popularly and improperly attributed to Scooby (as in "Ruh-roh, Raggy!")."