Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Want pretty blooms NOW - in January?

When the hustle and bustle of the Christmas and New Year holidays are behind us, our thoughts often turn to spring and a longing for the flowers it brings. While many of you are already somewhat familiar with forcing bulbs and branches of woody plants, it's likely a few might not be as familiar with the woody plants as they are with bulbs. I'll try to give a little overview on how to force twigs and branches mixed with some of the science that drives it. I've posted this before, but its the right time of year to be thinking about it, besides, we're prolly itching for an excuse to get the pruners out!

Branches clipped from flowering trees and shrubs can easily be forced into bloom. Trees and shrubs that bloom early in the spring form flower buds the previous fall before dormancy. Successful forcing depends on the type of plant, cultivar, stage of dormancy, and temperature. Plants begin preparing for dormancy as soon as the length of night becomes longer than day length, around June 21. Most of you probably didn't know it's actually the increasing length of the NIGHT that moves plants toward dormancy, not decreasing day length (it's a technical issue). Changes in growth habits after the summer solstice include an increase in directing energy to newly forming buds and storing energy in roots and cambial tissues. As nights grow longer and temperatures fall, leaves drop and the plant is moved to dormancy. During true dormancy, the tree is in a deep state of rest and protected from cold. The mechanism by which the plant is released from it's dormant stage is an accumulation of chill units or roughly - hours of cold temperatures between freezing and 45* F. Different plants require different amounts of chilling, but most growing in MI need from 1000 - 2000 chill units (or hours). Once chilling, sufficient to release the plant from dormancy has occurred, the plant is capable of beginning growth - usually after several consecutive days of temperatures near 50*. By mid-January, most temperate plants have had sufficient chilling and are technically no longer dormant. This stage is often called a period of quiescence, or quiet. It is in this period that woody branches should be cut for forcing. Those that are cut too early will perform weakly with unimpressive displays.

Select the younger, more vigorous branches which will have a larger number of flower buds. Flower buds are usually larger and rounder than leaf buds. If you have trouble telling the difference, cut a few buds open and look for flower parts. Some fruit trees bear flowers on short fruit spurs. Watch for these on apples, pears, and ornamental crab apples. Select branches at least 12 inches long, and prune them flush with the trunk or main branch. By pruning small branches flush, the wound will heal over quickly, with little danger of insect or disease damage. Be sure to use sharp pruning shears or your concave bonsai cutters to minimize damage. Once the branches have been cut, bring them indoors and place the stem ends in water immediately; or better, totally submerge the branches in room-temperature water overnight. A washtub or bathtub works well for this. This soaking allows the branches and buds to begin to break dormancy. Following this, place the branches in a bucket of water. Water may need to be changed occasionally to prevent it from becoming foul. Another method, if soaking is not possible, is to place the cut ends of the branches directly into buckets of water and mist the branches frequently for the first few days. Better, would be to wrap a piece of damp burlap around the branches to help maintain high humidity.

After spraying or soaking, the branches are ready for forcing. The branches should be placed in a relatively cool place (60 to 65 degrees F.) to develop. Higher temperatures will cause the buds to develop more rapidly, but size, color, and quality of blooms might be sacrificed. Along with higher temperatures often goes lower humidity, which may cause buds to dry out and fall off. Branches need light for forcing, but not direct sunlight. Heat from direct sun is too intense. If you remember the springtime conditions when these plants bloom naturally, it will be easy to remember the conditions they need.

How can branches, completely isolated from roots, be forced to give up their blooms? As the plant goes from dormancy to quiescence, root activity increases and stored energy (photosynthate, in the form of starches) is moved upward where it adds to the concentration already stored at the base of each bud. As a water supply is introduced, a complicated chemical process begins, turning starch into usable energy. Turgidity increases, cells elongate & the bud opens.

To help the buds open and keep them from drying, mist the branches occasionally during the forcing period. The closer to spring that branches are forced, the shorter the time required until bloom. When the flower buds are well developed and starting to show color, remove the branches from the bucket and arrange them in your choice of container. Branches that are removed from the buckets at this stage are less likely to have bruised and broken flowers. Arranging the branches at this stage also allows the enjoyment of watching the flowers open. The branches should be kept in a bright, but not sunny location and will last longer if they can be moved to a cool (40 to 50 degrees F.) location at night.

Some common woody plants you can force:

Red Maple

Alder

Service berry

Quince

Hawthorn

Forsythia

Witch Hazel

Use your imagination. Almost anything in the landscape that has showy blooms in the spring can be forced. This weekend is a perfect time to get outdoors & moving around ..... and thinking of SPRING!

Al

Comments (21)

• gravyboots
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a nice reminder; thanks Al!

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I'm still looking for my good shears... now, where did I put those last fall? If the old man hadn't commandeered my garden tool box for some other use, I'd know exactly where to look!

Thanks, Al! I caught the Container Gardening version earlier... can't wait to get out there and see what I can bring indoors! :-)

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Sorry, I did not follow any instructions. Don't see the point of complicating things.

I picked some Forsythia branches a couple weeks ago, put them in a little water, sticking them in floral foam to keep them in place, and now they are in full bloom as I write this, with a foot and a half of snow on the ground here in New Hampshire.

It's that simple.

Christopher

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Did I miss something? What's the complication? I'm happy Al thought to share information on a subject some of us might like to know more about.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No big deal, Jodi. I always try to include enough info in my posts that someone following them can learn something ...... if they have the time and inclination to, or unless they already know everything I included. I will say though, that people who tend to want to oversimplify things are usually the ones who end up on the forums asking for help with their plant problems. Granted, there is way more information in the post than people need to know, if all they want to do is force dormant branches, but I'm very frequently amazed at how often some little piece of seemingly useless information that got lodged in the memory banks, sometimes years ago, 'clicks' and surfaces in the present to become just what I need to solve a problem or answer a question, and I'm absolutely certain that happens with others, too.

Growing plants well, isn't as simple as many/most people would have us believe. Just because one person might believe all you need to do is stick a plant in dirt and water it to make it grow, is not an indication we all think that way. Knowing HOW to do something is simply one of the first steps to more complete understanding. Knowing WHY things work is what sets you apart from the pack. Almost anyone can perform brain surgery, but few can do it well. The same is true of growing plants. If you think about it, there are millions and millions of people who tend houseplants, but on a % basis, how many do you/we think do it well? How many can keep their plants healthy and growing well year after year after year? The people who frequent the forums here are probably the better of the bunch, the cream of the crop so to speak; but what about the many millions who never read a book or get involved in forum settings? I bet less than 1% of the total number of people that have houseplants, actually do what we could honestly consider a good job tending them.

Where one person might not see the point in complicating things, another might be grateful for the opportunity to soak up something that might be useful now, or later. The information I shared has obviously been useful to me, which means that is has the potential to be useful to others. If one or more people didn't find it useful, I don't care, but I do care when someone DOES find it useful - or even interesting. Those are the people the info is aimed at, and the ones I hoped would find value in it.

Some people don't care about understanding how/why things work, some people like to know, and still others feel a NEED to know. It's just different strokes for different folks. If you're a betting person, though, you can put big money on which of the 3 groups are comprised of the better growers. ;o)

Jodi has always been ready to share how her NEED to know how/why things work has advanced her ability to produce consistently beautiful plants (dozens & dozens of pictures), which is probably why she sees/saw the value in putting information in front of people. I admit - the above info might be entirely useless to some people - they might never use any of it; but the underlying point here is that understanding how and why plants work, and how various cultural conditions affect them, is a very important step up the ladder of improving our growing abilities.

Al

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

I gave my opinion, and my own experience, not to disparage in any way what Al wrote. I have been forcing blooms for decades, so maybe I take for granted what to some people is new information.

Christopher

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Al can often be patronizing even when attempting to sound helpful. ;o)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Jodi~
    The trick is to hide things from Hubby! LOL!

Old mail box tucked in one of my shrubs.
    Sorry, couldn't resist..;-)

{{gwi:33241}}

{{gwi:33240}}

• goren
    13 years ago

Where you have a willow or ivy, cut a half dozen or so branches and stick them in water. In a couple weeks, that water can be used as a stimulant for starting other branches.
    The older branches are in the middle of the plant...the younger ones are on the outside of the plant. Its those you should think to force.
    It matters which way the cutting is begun. There is a top to the branch and a bottom. You cut the bottom and that is the portion put into the medium. So when you make your cuts, make sure to gather them in an upright fashion so you know which end is up.
    After cutting the branches you are going to start, make a fresh cut under water. This helps the cutting begin to take up moisture immediately.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Thanks for the interesting info Al....Always something to learn...Thanks for taking the time to post this great information for those of us that need it!!!

Looking for my shears too! LOl...

Laura in VB

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys! It really IS easy to do, so don't let the extra information hold you back if you have a yen for some blooms a little ahead of schedule!

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Jojo..You are way too funny!!

Hello Laura and everybody else.

Al, you are very kind to share this. You are just a great friend and have helped me to no end.
    Now I shall have to try this with a few plants I have outside. I wonder if pussy willows do good bringing them in? I have plenty of those trees in my back yard.

Original Author
    13 years ago

There's a little creek at the bottom of the little hill we live on that is lined with red-twig dogwood and pussy willows, so the kitchen table usually has a mix of these plants, or sometimes just the p-willows, until buds start to move in Apr. There are several old hawthorns on the hillside that provide nice forcing material, too.

Al

• breenthumb
    13 years ago

It's still too early here but Mom always forced Forsythia. Thanks for some really nice memories, Al. And the reminder to get out there. Hmmm...maybe after the minus and single digit temps.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Our cold snap of -5, -12, -15* for three nights in a row, plus day temps that hardly ever even hit the teens for about a week, finally broke. It's a balmy 30* right now.

From how you phrased the comment about your 'mom always forcing Forsythia', it sounds like she might not be with you any longer. If not, I'm really sorry. I lost my mom last spring, and in the past couple of weeks it seems like there have been an inordinate number of comments and just 'things' occurring that remind me of her - like your mentioning the memories .....

Take care.

Al

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Well... I suppose if I already knew everything and wasn't able to absorb anything new, some of what Al writes might seem a little patronizing... but I don't know all there is to know, so what Al writes and the time he takes to explain things in depth, and the willingness to share he exhibits, are all greatly appreciated.

It helps to remember that not everyone who frequents these forums is a gardening expert. Some of us are novices, or entirely new to the various processes, and some of us appreciate refreshers every once in a while. I know I do! Thanks again, Al!

JoJo, that's a great idea! I love the display of gardening tools in the mail box! In fact, I just happen to collect old hand tools like that... I find them at flea markets and second hand stores... I might pinch your idea to use somewhere in the gardens here, if you don't mind!

Mike, pussy willows are among the easiest to force! Those were my Dad's favorites for bringing in early as cuttings! The bigger the catkins, the more impressive the display!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I for one never even gave it a thought to bring in anything that could be brought to bloom until I read this thread.

Maybe I am one of those dumb ones that should of known all this already, but I did not, and didn't even know it was possible, or how.

That is what I love about this place. I am always learning something every day from people that are bit brighter than me in the horticultural department and it never bothers me a bit. It only humbles me even further.

Thanks for this information. I have something else to try and succeed at.

Thank Al and for anyone else here that has encouraged me to give it a shot,

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey I was going to start a thread like this, but this one is worthy of continuation... it will be Jan. is a few days, right?

Blooming now:
    Maranta
    Coleus
    wax Begonias
    cane Begonias
    purple heart (Tradescantia pallida)
    parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans)
    Just finished:
    Gynura (purple velvet)

Buds not quite ready yet:
    Callisia fragrans
    Easter cactus (Hatiora gaertneri - which has about 5 previous names... sheesh!!) Sad when the common name is more reliable and stable and SPECIFIC.

Maybe:
    Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus)
    As usual when brought inside, it's defoliated but the weird little bloom stalks at the nodes have formed. Can't tell if they will complete their mission...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I neglected pruning a snow fountain cherry and princess crab (apple) in the garden after the leaves fell so I could use them to force. I have a cherry in the landscape at work, too, so I'll have plenty of cherry blossoms to force from mid-Jan into Apr, plus the pussy willows and red twig dogwood down by the creek.

Happy New Year, all.

Al

• rosebuddy
    11 years ago

Anyone out there ever have luck with getting the hyacinths bulbs to bloom that come with the special glass vases? Every year I get at least one at Christmas and have never had luck even with following the instructions. I've tried with water up to but not touching the bulb, no luck. tried with water just touching the bulb, no luck. Dang. Cold room, warm room no luck. Double Dang. Now have another as a gift and would really like to force it as it was from my sister who may ask about it. Any thoughts?

• Paul MI
    6 years ago

Wouldn't classify Red Maples as having showy flowers. ;-) Thanks for the info, Al.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio