Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenle_gw

Encouraging caudex growth

lenle
11 years ago

Having a fast draining, gritty mix and optimizing natural growing conditions aside, is there a specific pot shape & size that is more likely to encourage a ponytail palm to grow a fat caudex vs. growing taller?

While ultimately, the goal is to have a tall ponytail, I rather do like the idea of first developing a thick caudex.

Jeni

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Jeni...

If you want to keep your PT short with a large caudex, shape doesn't matter but size does. :)

Seriously.

I bought this PT at Walgreen's. The pic was taken 2007.

{{gwi:70657}}

Can't find a more recent pic. The next photo was taken 2009. PT was repotted once to a 3" pot.

{{gwi:70658}}

Another PT in a Bonsai container.

Darn, I either don't have or can't find an earlier pic of the next PT.
    Bought PT at Walmart in the late 90's. It's been in the same pot since. PT leaves grew some, but nowhere near the size it would have been if potted in a larger container.

Pic taken 2009

{{gwi:70659}}

{{gwi:70660}}

Toni

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Toni!

You have some unique ponytails! I think my favorite is the three headed one. It definitely put on some nice growth.

My goal is to get a thicker caudex, but I'm still unsure whether a small, shallow pot will accomplish that or if I should use a large, deep pot. I was trying to figure the mechanics of root growth to pot size (larger pot = more room for roots to grow = fuller/fatter plant), but wasn't sure if the theory held water with pt's or even with most plants.

What do you see trend wise with your pt's?

Jeni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Jeni,

Thank you.

Yep, I understand you'd like your PT's trunk to thicken. Very nice look. But, I thought you'd like your PT to grow 'X' tall???

I have two other PT's in larger pots..they're caudex has grown larger but they're taller too.

Smaller pots for caudex is an idea I've come up with.
    It's not written in stone, lol.
    In fact, all my caudex plants are in semi-small containers.

To be honest, the PT in bonsai pot was never repotted. Three-headed was repotted once.
    The way I figure it, there are two options. When roots fill a small pot the plant can be removed and root-trimmed, or placed in 1-size larger pot.

Guess it depends on the look one wants.

Perhaps others here who collect caudex plants grow differently... pot in larger containers...

Have you posted on C&S Forum???? Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Jeni and Toni.

Size does matter. Bigger pot, bigger growth.
    I would grow the plant big for a season or two, then chop it down, let it grow, chop it, et cetera.
    Most of the caudex growers at the C & S will tell you likewise - give it free root-run for growth.

Full discosure - I only grow B. guatemalensis, not the usual Pony Tail.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Josh. What's the differece between B. guatemalensis and B. recurvata?

11 years ago

They're a different species.
    Trunks and 'pony tails' look different.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I agree with Josh - Very large pots with plenty of room for roots to run + very fast draining soils + plenty of water/fertilizer during active growth + the caudex mostly covered by soil = fastest growth of plant AND caudex.

Al

11 years ago

Oh, great tip, Al! Can't believe it slipped my mind ;-)
    Covering the caudex is quite important for a number of species. I think there was a saying,
    something like 'Lower to grow / Raise to show' floating around here. Don't recall who said it.

Josh

11 years ago

Yes - a caudex LOOKS more impressive when it's mostly exposed in a small pot that makes it look larger by changing the perspective, but the problem with that kind of set-up is the root restriction inhibits growth above AND below the soil line, so the rate of increase in the size of the caudex is only a small fraction of what it could potentially be.

Al

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tall is the end game, the "near future" goal is for a thick caudex. I was thinking a smaller pot might be the best way to that, but I've read and re-read how no plant likes to be pot bound and so began to wonder if a larger pot would give me the look I'm going for without undue stress on the plant.

I must admit, the notion of covering the caudex surprises me. I can't help but think that might lead to rot. Everything I've seen on the 'net (here and elsewhere) advises against covering the caudex. Though I suppose with the gritty mix that won't be much of an issue?

How much should I cover it, if I do decide to go this route?

Love the discussion thus far... thanks!

Jeni

11 years ago

Jeni,
    one of our most prominent growers of caudiciforms, Caudex1, advises covering
    caudexes...unless I'm mistaken. Maybe shoot him a private message for an extra opinion.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Josh is right, here is advice from Keith (Caudex1), photo he is referring to and link to a thread he is discussing it (search for more):

The mistake many make is raising the "peanut" too soon. Leave it buried to gain size, once raised it will dramatically slow it's girth rate.

more photos&tips

11 years ago

Bravo! Thanks, Rina ;-)

Josh

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the link! Keeping the "bulb" buried certainly seems to make a huge difference in those plants. I'll hopefully find time to repot this weekend (stock soil and an overcrowded pot = bad prospects), and plan to try covering the caudexs. I'm assuming I can do this still even though some have uncovered caudexs?

Jeni

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone, but the pics below came after I decided to do a little trial and error with two ponytails that have been languishing since early summer. The crowns of both were slowly dying, and so I decided to trim the caudex on each to see what will happen. One has better prospects than the other, I think.

{{gwi:70661}}

{{gwi:70662}}

Jeni

11 years ago

Yikes - definitely at odds with the OT.

Al

• lenle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I suppose it's a bit off topic, considering I lopped the caudex vs growing it... :) Though they did sidetrack me while I was getting the smaller ponytails ready to be repotted. I figured the damage had already been done, what with the brown crowns....So off they came. I don't have much hope for the one that's all woody brown, unless that's an indication of a slightly older plant (which I doubt). Anyways, I've put the smaller bulbs into bigger pots with the caudexes semi buried. Come summer they'll find a home outside where it's nice and bright.

Jeni (who should probably not abuse plants for curiosities sake)

11 years ago

Oh ..... many a plant has given its life to further someone's understanding - mine included. Too many people miss the boat when it comes to keeping their plants attractive, because they're afraid that if they prune something the plant will surely die. I always encourage the grower to be the one in control of a plant's growth habit instead of allowing the plant to have its way, but as in all things, there is a balance that must be maintained to avoid jeopardizing the plant's ability to keep its feet on this side. ;-)

The one plant appears to have already lost its footing in this world, but the one with the viable cambium might well have made it - and still might. I'd paint the wound with wood glue, or smear it with Vaseline to prevent a massive scar on top of the caudex, and to help preserve the moisture therein. After that, I'd keep it VERY dry until at least the first of May or maybe even mid-May, to prevent the caudex from rotting. The idea is to jump start the plant only when it can wake up to a world that currently favors good growth. If you have no foliage to use water from the soil via transpiration, watering becomes extremely critical, especially at this time of year, unless you're using a really chunky soil - so please keep that in mind. I think it's best to let the soil go dry for now - except for maybe a light misting of the soil surface every week or so.

Best luck!

Al

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

All,

At what girth (In inches please) do you think that the 'peanut' can be raised. I have a Pony Tail palm of the usual variety that is about 3.5"-4" in diameter at the base, and about 1" at the top. It is just under a foot tall. It's in a shallow pot right now and only about .5"-1" is below the soil line (The roots come out on the side at the very base of the 'trunk'). Do you think I should bury it again? It seems to be doing well, and it's putting out new top growth.

-Thanks, Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Some pictures. It was just flooded to get rid of salt deposits, hence the wet trunk. The pot is about 6" wide. Disregard the time stamp.

-Josh

• HU-346241634
    2 years ago

What causes little sprouts to appear on the caudex?