Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What's rooting for you or what have you rotted lately!?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I am in love with these, I think philodendrons?

I never saw such color from such nice plants but a friend of mine gave me a few cutting of hers. I hope they take off and become as colorful as hers are!

Look at all the yellows, light colors, white, green, orange and other colors. I love these little guys:-) I made two pot loads..lol

What are you working on or what have you rooted these days?

{{gwi:70706}}

{{gwi:70707}}

{{gwi:70708}}

{{gwi:70709}}

Comments (31)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think so, maybe a piece of Epipremnum at 9'o'clock in the white pot. Love the one with the pinkish stripe in the middle of the leaf!

Is the petiole and half of this leaf buried?

11 years ago

Mike, I think you're the one who was so interested in what would happen with this red Begonia. I had broken off almost all of the stems, and they're regrowing, as well as about half the tops which I stuck in the pot. I don't think there's enough light down in there inside.

11 years ago

Before frost knocked them back, I snapped this stem off of a Datura. I think that's a tomato sprout in the foreground.

11 years ago

I snapped all but 1 stem ('cuz it's blooming!) of this Begonia, but much more recently. Some stems about 2 wks ago, some a couple days ago.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know, I have never had a thing for Begonia's, but for yours, OH YES!

Now one like yours I would grow because it's beautiful and is such a pretty red Tiffany. You did such a wonderful job with that plant and the cuttings. I wish I could do what you do in many ways. Your gifted.

Look at those flowers too. No wonder you left that one tall.

The leaf to mine is just about buried along with the Petiole. Did I do this right? I never rooted one of these.

I LOVE the colorful effect of these. You know me with my colors.lol

Mike

11 years ago

Thanks!! Be careful about getting any Begonias. They're instantly addictive.

IME, a leaf will likely rot prematurely if it's touching the soil, if its' petiole is buried. Only naked nodes need to be buried (on this or any vine like that, with aerial roots @ nodes.)

This is Pothos (Epipremnum) but they propagate the same way. The 2 nodes with removed leaves would be buried.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,

Where are the flowers you're talking about pls? I'm looking at Purple's Begonias & see no blooms, did I miss something? I'm looking up & down those Begonias for blooms, nice Begonias too.

I believe your Philodendron is called Brazil, I kept hearing that reference here some time back to Brazil & it was driving me crazy, 'cause I've never known of a plant to be called a country's name & it happens I grew up in Brazil. So its repeated mention kept catching my attention until I finally had to look it up out of curiosity.

Sometime afterwards I found some of it myself at HD, I liked the colors & bought some too. Not sure I have pix of it, but it is a very nice plant, I can see why you like it so much. That light green/dark green coloring is really pretty & seems an easy grower too, even better, right?

• val1
    11 years ago

Here are all of my cuttings that I am currently trying to root (some have roots now). I have String of Hearts, Easter cactus, lipstick plant, hoya and philodendron. The avocados are my daughter's experiment.

{{gwi:70710}}

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

The only thing I have rooting right now is an avocado. We bought one yesterday to try and I decided to experiment with growing it. Other than that I have my Meyer lemons that have germinated. Marg

11 years ago

PG, there's only 1 stem of that Begonia still blooming since bringing everybody in. Pic of Jan 12, 13 at 17:15, the tallest part has white flowers, but there's a glare on them, hard to see. When it stops doing that, I'll snap that stem off too.

Mike, agree with PG, your Philo in the white pot is Brazil I think. The one in the other pot with pinkish stripes is a mystery to me. I give up looking for it...

Val I LOVE those suction cup holder things for the window! You make me want to buy clear cups next time, too.

• val1
    11 years ago

Purple, I bought the suction holders for the shower to hold the shampoo but didn't end up using them. Last year when I was doing some CC and TC cuttings I need a place to put them in the window. So I tried the suction holder and it worked so well I went and bought another. The window (west facing) is right over my kitchen sink, so the humidity is good and the cuttings do extremely well (I rarely lose any). I used the clear cups because that is what was left over from school activities. I cut about four holes in the bottom for drainage. I love your begonias and think I will grab one from the nursery this summer to keep indoors next winter.

Mike, your philo is very unique. I love the mix of color.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, guys and gals!

Mike, the only thing I have rooting now is a pot of Jade cuttings....
    I pruned two of my 'Hobbit' Jades not long ago, and just set them on the mix
    of other Jade containers. Those cuttings have shot out roots, too.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I found some pix of my Philo Brazil, this isn't rooting but it' a recent acquisition.

{{gwi:70711}}

Sorry these pix appear so big, I don't know how to control this on my newish laptop.

{{gwi:70712}}

A little bit of Coleus which came along my way; was a broken sprig I found on the sidewalk.

{{gwi:70713}}

I couldn't resist it, am guessing that reddish will brighten up with more sun.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Nice plants, guys. I was intrigued by the Philodendron "Brasil". I went out today and was able to locate some, but they had much more green, still variegated, but green, like yours, PG. Mike's has more pink coloring. I'm thinking it's the light it's getting (higher or lower?) or maybe, because they're new cuttings/new growth. What do you think? I'd like to promote the same conditions if possible.
    Thanks,
    Gail

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Gail...How's the Clivia's?
    Yes, I too was intrigued by the colors. I had never seen these variations before. I am excited.

Karen.. Very nice colors. I love how they brighten up any area you want to place them at other than prime sunny places.
    That Coleus will grow and color up faster than you can blink an eye as the sun gets stronger and days get lighter.
    Very nice find.
    Thanks for the info and comments.
    Josh, we know that..lol

Tiffany and Val..Thanks! I too love those suction cup things by the way.

Marg, let em grow...:-)

Tiffany, thanks alot on the rooting advice and the pencil pencil comparison:-)

Mike

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    The Clivias are sleeping for a few more weeks.
    (Most of them anyway.)
    Gail

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I have been rooting mostly snake plant leaf cuttings and begonia and dumb cane cuttings in water. But i have also done pothos,philos,coleus,swedish ivy,mint,arrowhead vine,hibiscus,hydrangea,gerainium,jade,echeveria,citrus and many other plant cuttings this winter. In the end, i give most of my rooting plants away and keep afew.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Have few rooting:
    E. Black Prince - ready to pot up:

{{gwi:70715}}

Parrot beak plant - rooted in water & ready to pot up:

{{gwi:70718}}

Brugmansia - Angel's trumpet rooted in water - more than ready to be potted up:

{{gwi:70721}}

Ludisia from root cutting:

{{gwi:70724}}

and Ludisia rooted in water (it really should be potted up):

{{gwi:70725}}

Rina

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Rina, I had to look up the Parrot Beak Plant,I had never heard of it before. It's so pretty. I am rooting some of my Swedish Ivy now. Marg

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Marg

I could get some cuttings to you with Ludisia if you like...Rina

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Awesome! Thanks Rina. Marg

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I'm rooting lots of AV leaves.

I'm also growing some little Gollum Jades.

I have several different kinds of TC cuttings and a couple of pots of true CC cuttings rooting. I rooted them in the bark mix Josh recommended with a 100% success rate with over 30 cuttings. Amazing given it's winter.

There was this one very small section of peace lily that seemed to be dying after a repot in early fall. It wasn't dried out, but it was totally wilted and didn't get any better with time. I unpotted that portion and put it in it's own pot. It got worse and the leaves dried out. Probably a stupid idea. I was ready to toss that experiment. Emptying out the pot, it looked like the roots were still alive. I cut off the dried leaves and any of the roots that were dark and mushy, washed off any of the mix that was left, put it in a glass with enough distilled water to keep the roots wet. It appears that new life is starting to emerge. I haven't rotted that...yet.

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

I am rooting this tray of assorted rhizomatous begonias. Thinking about purchasing some African violet leaves...I haven't tried those since I raised several hundred from seed years ago.

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

I am also rooting this Christmas Cactus...I got the cutting from a friend who got the original plant from a lady who said it was really old, but she could never get it to bloom. The leaves are smaller and much more narrow than on the CC I purchased at the greenhouse last month.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I've been rooting some pieces of lavender for a front border in a bed in front of my house. Until recently, it was believed that lavender wouldn't perennialize here (too hot in summer), but it's in nurseries now, and I've had some going for a couple of years now! Wonderful!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I've always got African Violet leaves rooting. about a dozen or slightly more at the moment. I also have some Sundews (carnivorous plant) at any given time going.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

I have some Adeniums rooting right now. These went sent from Rinoa (Tawain) and were sent barerooted. I will post a pic os them when i received them and of them now. They are all budding now and showing signs that they are loving the Gritty Mix and rooting well...

This isn't the best time to be trying this, but i had to get in on this order with some friends from Florida that ordered from her.. She has some beauties..

They have been rooting now for a month under T-5 lights.

{{gwi:70726}}
    {{gwi:70728}}

Same trees .. pics taken tonight. Lots of budding on the grafted trees.

{{gwi:70729}}

Thanks for this great thread.. You have so many !!!

Take care,

Laura

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I love all the plants!

Mike, that plant is gorgeous! What an unusual color!!

Mike, I have 2 little pieces of a goldfish plant that were on the floor at the grocery store. The clerk said I could take them. LOL!!! Now what do I do with them, just threw them in water for now. lol...

1 piece of my Thanksgiving Cactus that broke off rooted! :-) and a few pieces of Dragon Fruit I took before the frost rooted. I know, not exactly a house plant. lol.

Laura, I can't wait to see you DR's Bloom!
    I thought my one rose was going dormant, so I brought her in and she's going strong. lol..

JoJo

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The other day I got about a dozen cuttings of Solandra maxima (Chalice Flower/Vine) from a friend. They were a bit long in the mail and arrived a bit dry. So soaked them for about half an hour and then put them in a plastic bag. Hopefully that will kick start them.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura..Everyone certainly has their gifts in plants and you are certainly no exception in the Desert Rose plants and with people!:-)

You never cease to amaze me with not just your kindness, but you ability to grow many things that mant people can not, even with winter against you. Just wonderful and lovely!
    The one you gave me, the sis, she's still alive but bald at the moment!lol
    Beautiful looking plants and the roots, wow.

Jojo, thanks so much! You know me. If it is not an unusual plant, I won't buy it. I have seen many Philodendrons. I think that Karen has a remarkable one too, Now, one like hers I would buy also!
    Look at you go with nw rootings. I hope they root well for you. The key is to keep changing out the water and to keep them warm. Hum, in Arizona, I see no problems..lol
    Good to see you again!

Tropicbreeze, I hope to own one of them someday. I hear they are so nice in bloom:-)

Tommy, I just found out the other day that there is such a thing as fragrant violets. Hummmm.

Greybird, I hope they make it. I love that origonal C.C!

Eahamel..That's wonderful!

LauraR..How are the Gollum cuttings coming along? Do you use lots of light?

Rina and Marg..You are just too nice, So nice to share.

Rina, you know how I feel about the Black Princes plant? I always wanted one of those! Nice.

Teengardner..I hope yours lal root just fine. Hope you have lots of room for them too:-)

Gail..Nice. Mine are in the dark basement too. Doing good:-)

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

You are so kind to say such things.. Thank you!!!

I do enjoy growing all different types of plants and trees, but sometimes my eye is on certain things!! ;-)

Right now, i am on a DR kick ( with some help from friends down in Florida!! They feed my addiction to Plumeira and Adeniums too!!

I also have this really cute Minature Adenium that reminds me of an Octopus.. LOL.. Many little legs and it is so tiny and has a fat little trunk that looks like her legs are crossed!! Ill upload a pic and post it later for you to see!!

It was sent barerooted and i placed some of the roots around a piece of Coral and buried it in the Gritty Mix. I then put it into a little Bonsai container and hopefully in a year or so when i start to lift it to expose the Caudex, it will looks pretty cool with the roots around the coral...

Great thread.. Thank you again.. especially about the "friends part" So nice of you to say....

Hi Jojo.. I can't wait for some of my DR's to bloom too! Most of the plain pink and red (singles ) have bloommed, but now i have some special doubles and triples from Tawain and Thailand that are just gorgeous!!! I will post as soon as i get them to bloom! Hopefully this summer, but probably next summer...

Take care everyone!!

Laura