Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maui9603

Corn plant question

I have had a corn plant for approximately 3 years now. It has not grown that much in height but the leaves are huge. They are getting so big that the one trunk is leaning from the weight. The leaves look happy , dark green with a slightly lighter green down the middle. I definitely do not have a green thumb. Is there a reason it's not taking on any height? Should I prune the top part to alleviate some of the weight. I'm not quite sure how to post a picture, I have one if someone could give me the instructions. Thanks so much!

Comments (12)

• manda3
    13 years ago

You need to upload the picture to a website, like imageshack.com and then use their 'post to website' code that they provide.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks manda, will do!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Angel..Which part of your D. 'Corn Plant' isn't growing? If you're referring to the 'cane/trunk' after their cut, they stay the same size.

Are you saying, in the last three-years, your Corn Plant didn't grow 'new' leaves? Toni

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't think I knew they stayed the same size. I was ready through a lot of posts and some people talk about their plants getting as high as their ceiling. Maybe I have a different variety. It has taken on a ton of new leaves and they keep getting longer and it's almost bending the trunk. Just didn't know if there was something I should be doing for it. Here's a pic, hope this helps.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Angel, nope, the cane doesn't grow, the leaves do. Your Corn Plant is very healthy. Your leaves are HUGE.
    I can't expand your picture..How many canes?
    If there are two or more trunks/canes, tape together.
    If one, try staking. You'll need a thick stake.

Why don't you try holding the cane, while swaying soil around until your plant stands erect?
    How much, and what type of soil are you using? In other words, how much space is between top of soil and pot rim?

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks hopeful, glad to know its healthy! There are 2 canes. I didn't even think to tape them together, what kind of tape should I use? There is approximately 1 inch from the soil to the pot rim. The soil we used is standard potting soil. It was so long ago, I have no idea. Is there anything else I should do for this plant/ Do I ever need to cut it back. I was reading alot about airing the leaves or something like that.

So I guess the larger ones I have seen are purchased like that and then their leaves continue to grow?

I love this forum, so many helpful people. Thanks for your help!

• ronalawn82
    13 years ago

angel19603, the corn plant, Dracaena fragrans, increases in height and width as side shoots (lateral buds) sprout and develop. The main trunk cannot itself elongate because it is a cutting from a longer stalk.
    If a cane is leaning, it can be gently manipulated into the upright position and potting soil can be packed into the void to keep it in place. Forcing it into position can cause the root(s) to snap. Since these roots are very few in number, your plant can suffer a severe setback.
    Sometimes one can use pebbles, lava rock or similar inert material over the soil surface up to the rim of the pot. This will stabilize the cane. Using potting soil for this purpose can cause the stalk to rot because now it will be moist where it used to be dry.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Howdy...Some people use Duct Tape..it comes in red and green, and naturally silver. You might be able to find the correct tape in a local nursery, online nursery or Ebay.

You can either Air Layer or cut the canes. Cutting canes is an easier procedure but takes longer to root. Air Layering also takes patience, and there's work involved. Both work.
    Are the leaves nearing the ceiling? Is that why you're thinking about reducing height?

The reason I asked about soil line is, I wondered if it was several inches lower than the rim. If it was, I was going to suggest adding more to level canes. But an inch won't matter.

Since your Corn Plant is doing well, other than a little tilting, sometimes it's best to leave as is...like the saying, don't fix something that isn't broke.
    But, since it's been several years since it's been repotted, you might considering renewing soil.

BTW, has your plant ever been fertilized?

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The plant has not been fertilized. I was not looking to reduce height, I was just concerned b/c it was not growing vertically.

should I fertilize? If so, when and what product?

Thanks again for all the info!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Angel, I've been really busy today..it's after 2am, lol.

Hard question to answer. You don't want your Corn Plant getting larger, then again, the soil needs nutrients.
    Perhaps an All Purpose, low dose fertilizer with added nutrients/minerals should do. 5-10-5. Reduce dossage directions by half.
    I fertilze during growing season..when days are longer and new growth sprouts. Between 'in my case,' late Feb, March until Sept/Oct.
    Angel, your Corn Plant is doing great. Toni

• ninamcduffee_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a corn plant that is about 10years old. The main trunk is about 2.5 ft high, and another limb branches off that and is about 3.5 ft tall. Where do I need to cut this so that I won't be so tall? Do you have to cut in the original trunk part of the plant.

Any assistant will be greatly appreciated.

• ninamcduffee_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a corn plant that is about 10years old. The main trunk is about 2.5 ft high, and another limb branches off that and is about 3.5 ft tall. Where do I need to cut this so that I won't be so tall? Do you have to cut in the original trunk part of the plant.
    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.