Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trilliumfae

String of Pearls turning brown - please help!

trilliumfae
10 years ago

Hello all!

I have a lovely string of pearls plant (my very first time trying to keep a succulent) that I purchased in late spring of last year. I've been keeping it as an indoor houseplant since I bought it. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd say it was doing great! It's in the same 6" plastic hanging pot that it came in from the greenhouse. Back when I bought it, it was about 6" long. Now it's closer to 2 and a half feet long. Here's the problem though - The strands look vibrant and healthy except by the top where the pearls have started turning brown and dying away. The stalks near the soil seem to be dying too despite the healthy glow of the strands hanging below the pot.

Here is what I have done to care for it so far: (which I'm sure must be the problem since I'm not versed in succulents at all) I water only once the pot has completely dried out. The plant hangs in my east facing window and gets plenty of bright light through the morning and into early afternoon. I rotate the pot every couple of weeks so it grows evenly on all sides. It has been fed with a general liquid plant food every couple of months in the watering can I use for all the indoor plants. The pot and soil are the same from when I bought it at the greenhouse - the attendant assured me that it would not need transplanting from this little pot (which seemed odd to me, but what do I know about succulents?) We do not have forced air heating and it's not near a heater nor is it so close to the window that it's cold.

I'm to the point where I believe I might have to propagate all the strands and start over because it looks like a tiny bomb went off at the top inside the pot. I don't want to watch it die out completely. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living