Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peace Lily Plant

Posted by LadyMeals none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 16:55

Hi All,
My husband and I brought a Peace Lily home from my brother in law's apartment in NYC on December 17, 2011. It was extremely hearty and now it looks dead.
It started out a little droopy and I watered it thinking it needed water. That didn't work and it has gotten worse. We moved it from indirect sun light to direct afternoon sunlight. We even tried to put it in our bathroom and turn up the heat since the plant was used to being in a hotter room.
The leaves feel soggy but have never turned yellow and all of the flowers have turned dark brown and have died.
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peace Lily Plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 17:13

It's uncommon for sunburn to cause a total collapse of a plant, so the issue is likely to be found in watering habits. I'd say the odds significantly favor the issue being related to the effects of over-watering. If the issue is indeed related to over-watering, as I suspect, whether the plant makes it or not depends on how severely the roots are damaged. The best course is to depot the plant, inspect the roots for rot, trim any roots visibly compromised or suspected of infection by rot, and repot into an appropriate size container with an appropriate soil.

The alternate, which offers a reduced expectation of an end result that's favorable, would be to depot the plant if the soil is wet (as opposed to damp), and place the root mass on a stack of newspaper, paper bags, an old towel .... to dry down before returning it to its container, after which you would monitor water needs more carefully.

I should have asked if you fertilized the plant since acquiring it. If yes, it could be the reason or play a part in the problem. If you did fertilize, please describe what you used and at what strength.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here