Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahyom

Help i.d.these three, and some basic questions..

ahyom
11 years ago

Last night I dragged these in after someone had thrown them out. The bigger looks to have some root issues (soggy to the touch). It's also crammed with eggshells for fertilizer I presume, but is this a good idea or should I remove them? I have "all-purpose 24-8-16" fertilizer, will this work? They are all planted in pots with no drainage hole, shall I replant them into different pots or are they alright? I'm fairly new to keeping plants, any help is greatly appreciated!

There was also a fourth large Dracaena marginata with the same root issues. I didn't bother carrying that one up to my place because I figured it will eventually just die. But maybe there is a way to save it?

So here is the biggest one:

Comments (6)

• ahyom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a close up of it's base. They feel like decaying wood, and have a spongey residue. What's going on?

• ahyom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the second biggest trailing plant:

• ahyom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And finally the smallest trailing one. For now it's leaning against the second plant until I find some support for it:

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The first is a Dracaena fragrans AKA corn plant. The second is Epipremnum AKA Pothos. The third looks like a Philodendron of some kind, there are hundreds. Commonly discussed plants here. Why in the world would anyone discard these?

The D. marginata not pictured - you could just cut off whatever top part(s) you like and it should root that way. Unless it's gotten too cold, no reason to expect it to not do well especially if it looks as good as these plants.

You can also propagate the top(s) of the corn plant if you want to. One or two new tops should appear at the cut on the mama, give the severed top a pot big enough pot to hold it up, or in the pot with the mama. I would repot that when convenient. Eggshells belong in the compost first, IMO. Would be interesting to know what deficiency or malady they were intended to battle... there's some teeth to some of these kinds of things, some are just old wives' tales... This tree's a mostly-shade plant in summer but may need some direct light inside for winter.

I'm a huge fan of growing vines UP instead of down if there's a reason to (juvenile/mature leaf forms is one that applies to the Pothos) and don't know what the goal of the tomato cage support was, but that could have had something to do with it. You can keep supporting it, or let it dangle. Not picky about sun, but can't handle mid-day sun in the summer. Famous for surviving low light but doesn't grow as quickly that way. Very easy to propagate.

Philo, similar to Pothos, although some Philos will make really long, stringy aerial roots (which may be possible also for Pothos but not something I've seen.) New leaves are often a different color initially. Probably guttates. Direct sun may burn it in the summer.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

I have the exact same plant as the last picture! I have been trying to identify it but i have never found the name! So if anyone knows please let us know!
    Thanks Grant

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Curious how life is going with your new plants, ahyom?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!