Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoffb2

Dracena Lisa Troubles

geoffb2
10 years ago

Hello,

I have a Dracena Lisa that I've had for about a year. Typically I water no more than once every two weeks. I had been thoroughly watering it and allowing it to drain through outside. I noticed this was causing the leaves to drop and so I have cut down on both the watering frequency and the amount.

At this time, the stem of the upper cane is sagging a bit. When leaves drop they tend to turn slightly yellow then brown and shriveled. I am assuming I have over-watered, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to save the plant. The bottom of the stem of the tallest cane (which is the one that is sagging) is brown and woody in appearance whereas the other canes are all green. This has been this way since I bought the plant, but I am including that info in case it is helpful. Attached are photos of the plant over all, the sagging stem, a close up of one of the leaves, and a close up of the brown and green bottom of the stem.

I love this plant and would hate to lose it. Any help is very much appreciated!

geoff

Comments (8)

• geoffb2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will post a few other photos.

• geoffb2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo

• geoffb2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Final photo.

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

geoffb2, I find it difficult to believe that the first and last photographs are of the same plant.
    The first photo shows a grayish "haze" on parts of some of the leaves.
    My first reaction is 'dust'. But if that is not the case, then the plant may have a fungus infection of which I have no knowledge or experience.
    One leaf, in the foreground and facing the observer, shows symptoms of over watering. I refer to the browning tip ahead of a yellowing tendency and the angle of its presentation. You must decide whether it is decreasing (you have taken the appropriate corrective action); or increasing; in which case you must now take corrective action.
    The third photo appears to be have been taken at right angles (clockwise) from the first photo.
    I cannot identify that problem leaf. From what I can read on the measuring gauge, it is somewhere between 6 and 8.
    If it were my plant, I'd clean it up, trim the brown tips and remove any browning/yellowing leaves. I'd carefully observe it to determine the watering schedule.
    Too little water will manifest itself in the lower leaves. The available moisture is being channeled to the growing tips and the lowest leaves will turn brown and crisp.
    Too much water will cause the youngest part of the stalk to flop sideways; later the bases of the youngest leaves will turn black and finally there will be this foul odor which will tell you that the plant is in its death throes.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This is an anomaly. A sick Drac doesn't usually look this good, though illness in slow-growing plants can take a long time to manifest. Did something recently change drastically with this plants' environment? Like an excess of water dumped in the pot? That part where the tape is, not good, looks dead.

The 2nd pic looks like normal lignification (becoming woody) to me.

"thoroughly watering it and allowing it to drain through outside" Do you mean completely away from the pot, or into the outer cache pot?

• geoffb2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate them. All four images are of the same plant. Ronalawn, the plant is dusty and has since been cleaned. The photos were taken when there was some work being done in the house.

Purpleinopp, nothing has changed in the plant's environment. The droopy stem you see is of the tallest stalk. That is also the stalk that has lost leaves and the brown tip / yellowing leaf you see is also on that tallest stalk. All of this appears to be caused from over watering. As I mentioned, I don't water the plant very often. I was watering it once every two weeks or so, but I was pouring a few cups of water an allowing that to drain through the holes in the bottom of the pot.

My question now is if anything can be done to correct the top drooping stem. That is the top of the tallest stalk in the pot, so if that entire stalk dies, the plant will lose quite a bit of height. Also, the plant has not been watered in close to a month now. Moving forward, should I just water a very small amount so that water reaches the roots of the shorter stalks but avoids the bottom of the pot where the roots appear to be saturated?

Lastly, the very top stalk (that is drooping) has a crown growing out of right now. Should I remove that?

THANK YOU!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

'Saturated at the bottom' does not sound good. When the water runs out, does it stay in the outer pot?

• geoffb2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are holes in the bottom of the pot so that the water can drain through. The plant and pot are not sitting in any water, but based on the effects I am seeing on the leaves I am assuming water is stuck in the soil towards the bottom of the pot.