Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyssalea

Very sick Lipstick Vine... please help me revive!

lyssalea
15 years ago

I've had a lipstick vine for about two years now, and it has been absolutely beautiful and healthy for the majority of that time. A friend with a greener thumb than I suggested that I repot it in new soil this past summer, so I repotted it in the original hanging basket.

It seemed to do well until this past month or so when the leaves closest to the soil began to yellow, wrinkle and eventually turn brown and drop off. I know that lipstick vines don't need a lot of water, especially in winter, but it was really very dry when this started to occur. I've been cautiously giving it more water of late, but it's still deteriorating rapidly. I'm seeing bare spots at the edge of the pot, where before it had been full.

It's continuing to flower, though, even as leaves drop, so I'm very confused. The vines have also grown quite long with a few edging towards 4 feet, so perhaps it needs a trim. I just don't know, as I have a black thumb. Has anyone else experience this progression of wrinkling leaves that turn yellow then brown and drop off? I've grown far too fond of this plant to let it go without a fight!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• lyssalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a follow-up note: My boyfriend thinks the plant started to show signs of this right after I repotted it in the summer. I don't really know what type of soil mix it was originally in, but I repotted it in a basic Miracle Grow potting soil. Maybe it's holding on to too much water? Or too little?

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Lyssa. What type of pot was the original? Clay, plastic, other?
    Who said Lipstick Plants don't like water? Actually, in summer, they're water hogs. During winter they require less water, soil should dry somewhat, (between waterings) but if it gets too dry leaves will drop.
    Maybe you meant roots shouldn't sit in water..is that it?

On the other hand, (this is something I do, but not recommended.) In Feb/Mar, I stop watering..soil dries to the point of cracking. The plant is then given a hearty drink. Within a wk, flower buds form. Again, I don't recommend this. It's hard on a plant, stressful..Also, I pot using rich soil and soil-less mediums, not totally soil less..Soil less mixes dry out fast. I wouldn't want to be responsible if someone let soil dry too much..:)
    Good luck, Toni

BTW, is the brown, soft or crispy?

• lyssalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Toni,

I guess I was thinking that the vine appeared to do well with moderately frequent waterings that allowed the soil to dry out a fair amount in between. I'm also a bit paranoid about overwatering to the point where roots rot because I managed to do that once with some herbs. At this point, I have to assume it didn't get enough water and the soil dried out too much. I've soaked it thoroughly (until water drained out the bottom) and plucked off the dead leaves. Now, I thought I'd let it dry and out and look for signs of
    revival.

It's still in the original plastic basket that it came in. Also, the brown leaves are soft, not crispy.

I appreciate the feedback, by the way. I'm so terrible with plants and yet I manage to get so attached to them, lol...

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Plants don't wish to change their environment just because of a whimsy attitude----such as "all the soils are the same, doesn't matter as long as its potting soil"...
    which is likely to have a plant drop its leaves and show little vigor.

Your "Aeschynanthus" lobbianus prefers to live in soil that is constantly damp...but not soggy...and it likes good light.
    Because the soil is wanted to be kept damp, that suggests also the plant likes to have a higher humidity around it.
    A humidity tray, during those times the air around it is dry or the heat from sources is drying out the air can be utilized.
    In winter because the plant is not growing, needs much less water given its roots....but its soil should be kept damp nonetheless. Unlike other plants that prefer a cooler nighttime temperature, your lipstick plant likes warm temps.
    As it grows, fertilizer should be given to promote bloom.

The plant prefers a more loose, open fibrous potting mix. This allows the plant to drain well.

In any low light situation, plants can be expected to not do their best and might even drop a leaf or two.
    All you can do is try to maximize what light you can give it....a south or west exposure is called for.
    Eastern light might suffice if given much of it.
    A northern light is unacceptable and will not do justice for your plant.

The leaves of the plant dropping as they are, suggests also you may have it where it is being affected by air currents from heat vents or a door that is constantly being opened and closed. Plants react to the air around them and if the temperature drop is abrupt, can cause leaves, usually the lower ones, to drop. The air current also affects the drying time of the soil and may cause increased watering be given, but only the surface needs it, and the roots become overly saturated.

• sajt
    15 years ago

Personally, I haven't had very good results with Miracle Gro potting soils -- the soil seems to get hard and not absorb water well over time (due to the sphagnum moss in the mix, I think). I wonder if this might be what happened to you, though I'd guess a matter of months might be too brief a time period, and that as you were watering the plant, the water was maybe trickling down the inside of the pot instead of getting where it was needed -- near the root ball. It seems that the soft brown leaves aren't exactly indicative of the roots being too dry. Just wanted to chime in about some commercial potting soils -- I try to read the labels of potting mixes and stay away from certain types of ingredients, such as sphagnum moss.

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Hi Sajt,

As to your comments about the moss, I think you mean to say PEAT moss rather than SPHAGNUM moss. Two very different things.

Peat is often mixed into commercial mixes. It's fine & dry, looks like fine dirt or soil.

Sphagnum is that stuff that some Orchids are sold potted in like cheapies at K Mart of HD. Long, fibrous strands.

Different stuff, both best avoided in many mixes -- Peat is somewhat OK for houseplants if used w/ care. Not OK for succulents (pretty common consensus among C&S growers).

Just so you know.

• hereslooking4
    9 years ago

My lipstick is REALLY struggling I moved it in November and since then it has been dropping leaves and the vines turning brown and hard. Nope it is not dry so not sure. It was starting to have issues and dying so I repotted it and it was still struggling so I put it as close to a window as I could.....STILL dropping leaves and turning brown. leaves get soft and wrinkly then look dried out.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry I don't have advice for you, but generally we start a new thread for a new question. Otherwise, this thread was already 5 yrs. old so it may be why it hasn't gotten response yet.

Perhaps making a fresh new post (including a picture) would help get you help.

Lots more info needed too, what kind of soil? How big a pot? Does it have a drainage hole? Is it getting direct sun?

Just not enough info. on here to try to help. A pic really would go a long way to help.